Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s time to close the deal on Iggy
(12-28-2019, 12:32 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Though Igoudala's usage rate was very low last year, he averaged an excellent 1.18 points per shot attempt (top 11% among NBA wings) and his assist rate led the league. Basically, Iggy knows his game. He plays excellent defense and rarely gets involved on offense, but when he does, he is very efficient either scoring at a high level or assisting. He is an ideal, albeit limited use role player for any team. 

How much do you offer for an elite 14-18 minute role player? It depends how much you need him.

As good as Igoudala's offense was last year, his points per shot would land 7th best among Mavs rotation players behind...

Powell PSA 1.34
Doncic PSA 1.25
Finney-Smith PSA 1.23 (that's top 9% among wings, on usage similar to Iggy)
Curry PSA 1.22
Kleber PSA 1.20
Wright PSA 1.19

Of course, you don't sign Iggy for offense. You sign him because he won't screw up your offense but he will play elite wing/forward defense. So what would be his role on the Mavs? You already have DoDo giving you excellent 3D wing play on similar usage. So I see Iggy slotting into Jackson's role as a small-ball four who can guard opposing wings when teams go small. Jackson doesn't guard anyone and he's having a tough year offensively as his efficiency has taken a nose dive. 

Bottom line, I'd do Lee and a 2nd for Igoudala. 

Jackson would lose his rotation spot (assuming Broekoff hasn't already taken it) but I'd still try to develop him over the summer.

Definitely all of this.

Also, a very important part of this trade is simply the Iggy influence. The Grizz know why the Mavs want him so much - a veteran leader of multiple championship teams, being a core part of Luka's first playoff run? It would be a fantastic complementary addition , with exactly the type of leadership support for Luka he needs in the playoffs. Iggy is worth more than what his stat line says.

Everything is built around what works best for Luka. If the numbers say CLee and a 2nd, the Mavs might give a little more. They're not going to be stupid though.

If you avoid guys because they haven't played a game all year, you're a team that misses potential opportunities. When he's healthy, he will likely be playing at the level he was before. A team that doesn't take some kind of risk, just sits on their hands.
Like Reply
(12-28-2019, 12:47 AM)reckoner07 Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 12:32 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Though Igoudala's usage rate was very low last year, he averaged an excellent 1.18 points per shot attempt (top 11% among NBA wings) and his assist rate led the league. Basically, Iggy knows his game. He plays excellent defense and rarely gets involved on offense, but when he does, he is very efficient either scoring at a high level or assisting. He is an ideal, albeit limited use role player for any team. 

How much do you offer for an elite 14-18 minute role player? It depends how much you need him.

As good as Igoudala's offense was last year, his points per shot would land 7th best among Mavs rotation players behind...

Powell PSA 1.34
Doncic PSA 1.25
Finney-Smith PSA 1.23 (that's top 9% among wings, on usage similar to Iggy)
Curry PSA 1.22
Kleber PSA 1.20
Wright PSA 1.19

Of course, you don't sign Iggy for offense. You sign him because he won't screw up your offense but he will play elite wing/forward defense. So what would be his role on the Mavs? You already have DoDo giving you excellent 3D wing play on similar usage. So I see Iggy slotting into Jackson's role as a small-ball four who can guard opposing wings when teams go small. Jackson doesn't guard anyone and he's having a tough year offensively as his efficiency has taken a nose dive. 

Bottom line, I'd do Lee and a 2nd for Igoudala. 

Jackson would lose his rotation spot (assuming Broekoff hasn't already taken it) but I'd still try to develop him over the summer.

Definitely all of this.

Also, a very important part of this trade is simply the Iggy influence. The Grizz know why the Mavs want him so much - a veteran leader of multiple championship teams, being a core part of Luka's first playoff run? It would be a fantastic complementary addition , with exactly the type of leadership support for Luka he needs in the playoffs. Iggy is worth more than what his stat line says.

Everything is built around what works best for Luka. If the numbers say CLee and a 2nd, the Mavs might give a little more. They're not going to be stupid though.

If you avoid guys because they haven't played a game all year, you're a team that misses potential opportunities. When he's healthy, he will likely be playing at the level he was before. A team that doesn't take some kind of risk, just sits on their hands.

He´s also a soon-to-be 36 year old that hasn´t played basketball in six months, while not having the luxury of being helped by Klay ,Draymond and KD anymore. He could just as easily be 36 year old Shawn Marion on the Cavs and straight into retirement.
Like Reply
(12-27-2019, 10:03 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He’s one year older than last year, when he was fantastic in this role playing modest minutes.  Even if he’s slipped, he’d still be good in exactly the role this team needs.  If he’s playing the right half of the season, the business end, it would be well worth it.  This is a fully rebuilt team now.  This is not the time to look for long term mainstays.  This is the time to add a final critical piece to win a championship this year with a deep team built around the league’s best player (actually the third or fourth best player I’ve ever seen in over 30 years of watching basketball).  The Mavs need to start thinking like a contender.
Is this what delusion is like?? If you honestly think a 35 year old Andre Iguodala who hasn't played a single game this season is anything remotely approaching the final piece to contend for championship, you are off your nut.

This team does NOT need anymore high quality role players. We have a plethora of them. Another one isn't going to move the needle much at all. What the team needs the most is another high caliber starter. Andre Iguodala is not a high caliber starter at this point in his career. Not remotely. Sure he would be a decent addition if he could be had for cheap. He'd have a nice place in the rotation. But final piece for us to become a contender is completely and utterly laughable.
Like Reply
Iggy is rested now. He had to be overused in the finals and was overexposed. Mavs would need him under 20 mpg for defense. On offense he would get mostly easy buckets off of cuts, put backs and would probably shoot a few wide open corner 3s a game. Trading him for a late 2nd round pick or two is a no brainer.

(12-28-2019, 09:44 AM)Dundalis Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 10:03 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: He’s one year older than last year, when he was fantastic in this role playing modest minutes.  Even if he’s slipped, he’d still be good in exactly the role this team needs.  If he’s playing the right half of the season, the business end, it would be well worth it.  This is a fully rebuilt team now.  This is not the time to look for long term mainstays.  This is the time to add a final critical piece to win a championship this year with a deep team built around the league’s best player (actually the third or fourth best player I’ve ever seen in over 30 years of watching basketball).  The Mavs need to start thinking like a contender.
Is this what delusion is like?? If you honestly think a 35 year old Andre Iguodala who hasn't played a single game this season is anything remotely approaching the final piece to contend for championship, you are off your nut.

This team does NOT need anymore high quality role players. We have a plethora of them. Another one isn't going to move the needle much at all. What the team needs the most is another high caliber starter. Andre Iguodala is not a high caliber starter at this point in his career. Not remotely. Sure he would be a decent addition if he could be had for cheap. He'd have a nice place in the rotation. But final piece for us to become a contender is completely and utterly laughable.

Mavs need another defender. DFS is good, but Iggy adds one more guy and Iggy even at 35 can lock down LeBron or Paul George. I don't think he would start but I could see lineups where he and DFS play the 3 and 4 together with Powell on the bench. He would also be used to spell DFS.
Like Reply
(12-28-2019, 09:46 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Iggy is rested now. He had to be overused in the finals and was overexposed. Mavs would need him under 20 mpg for defense. On offense he would get mostly easy buckets off of cuts, put backs and would probably shoot a few wide open corner 3s a game. Trading him for a late 2nd round pick or two is a no brainer.

(12-28-2019, 09:44 AM)Dundalis Wrote:

Mavs need another defender. DFS is good, but Iggy adds one more guy and Iggy even at 35 can lock down LeBron or Paul George. I don't think he would start but I could see lineups where he and DFS play the 3 and 4 together with Powell on the bench. He would also be used to spell DFS.

Iggy would be a nice addition. But the comment about the final piece on a contender is just plain stupid. He'd be a nice little boost, but he wouldn't move the needle that much. And him locking down Lebron or George is just... no. He's not locking superstars down at his age. He just isn't. He can play solid defense though and help a little bit on that end of the floor. Also I heard the Grizzlies want a 1st and another piece for him. I'd be willing to bet there's a team that would do it. It better not be us.
Like Reply
For those who don’t think the Mavs are a contender, you’re wrong. They have a deep roster built around an all time great player.

For those who think the Mavs don’t need another good role player: Wrong again. The team sorely lacks role players who can help on the defensive end without hurting the offense, especially on the wing.

For those who think the Mavs need something longer term: Iggy’s one year deal is a feature, not a bug. There’s no need to get locked into a biggish long term contract for a defensive role player such as RoCo.

For those who think the price is too high: Maybe. We’ll see. I don’t really think another second round pick will be contributing to this deep roster any time soon, Lee is deadweight, and Jackson has failed. Those assets are no longer useful other than in a trade for a player who is.

For those who think it’s too big a risk: You cannot be serious! Lol!

For those who think the Mavs should wait until the offseason: See above.

For those who think the Mavs can do better: I’m all ears. I haven’t heard a single specific, good, non-pipe dream idea to do so yet, but I’d love it if they could.
Like Reply