Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98
(12-27-2019, 07:29 AM)Dundalis Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 03:50 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 03:39 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Chuck Cooperstein disagreed in theory, opining that big men who can post up are "devastating,"

LOL, sorry Coop, I'll hitch my wagon to Rick's take on how the Mavs should play the game.

Coop is not wrong though. Having a post up game was what made Dirk grow into a complete player.  I don’t think KP has the same base strength as Dirk did though. Hence would like to see some more face the basket type high post sets for him.  

This team with their two unique talents is relatively new though. Rick will add some wrinkles as time goes on to take advantage.

I don't understand how anyone can really argue with Carlise. He didn't state his opinion as an opinion. Listen to his phrasing, he stated it as an absolute FACT. As in not debatable. And he is clearly drawing heavily upon what is likely to be a very well funded Dallas Mavericks analytics team, who no doubt have access to plenty of data we don't and over a very large sample size.

It's not that he's saying post play can't be effective. He's clearly stating that you will be less effective on offense the more you incorporate post play and mid range, while you will become more effective offensively the more you exclude it. And that it's a fact, based both on the analytics done by the Mavericks, and um... our actual historic level offensive efficiency, via our playstyle which is built on those analytics.

And for those quoting Dirks play, I absolutely guarantee you that despite how good Dirk became in the mid range, if he were 26 years old right now, he's not doing that stuff today, under Rick, in todays game. He will probably get more leeway than KP, because he was much better at it, but he's shooting way way more 3's, way less mid range, and is likely going to spend his time in off seasons perfecting his 3 point shooting and driving rather than his mid range fade. That's just the way it is.
 Pinch Post sets are run from the high post.  Not the low post.  Denver runs it extensively.  

Dirk didn’t get a post up game at 26. He was doing it at 34 against the likes of Bron, Haarlem, and Bosh.  However I did not even ask those sets because I clearly said KP doesn’t have Dirk’s base strength.  

There is one team GS who at one point had 3 of the greatest shooters ever.  They played to their strengths.  Yet they also got plenty of close range baskets. We have two tall studs who can also get easier baskets than just long 3s.  No one is asking to completely change their philosophy.  Just asking for a few sets a game that maximizes chances for easier buckets.  2 of the 3 game winning buckets during our championship finals came via post up plays.  Like it or not in the playoffs things will slow down and you will need some sets where you can’t be over reliant on the 3.  Even GS knew that and we are not even them in terms of our 3 pt prowess.

(12-27-2019, 07:55 AM)vg2011 Wrote: Luka's assists tend to be either lobs or drive and kick to the corner. KP's favorite spots tend be around the top of the key. So Luka tends to make Powell look better than he is on the lobs and THJ look better than he is by setting him up in the corner.

J Kidd was a master at adapting to the strengths of his teammates and setting all of them up in their favorite spots.

Thus far Luka, being more of a scoring point guard, seems to play better with guys that adapt to him. When he drives his passing options are limited to what's in front of him that he can see (the corners and the lobs).

KP's favorite spots are in Luka's blind spot behind where Luka is driving.

This seems like an easy problem to fix. Both guys need to adjust their games slightly to play to the other's strengths. But it needs to happen soon before habits get too ingrained.

And KP's favorite spots
Totally agreed. Great post.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98 - by hakeemfan - 12-27-2019, 09:31 AM