Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98
(12-27-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Edge Spurs, End Home Losing Streak in Luka Return

It wasn't the prettiest of games, but Luka was back, the Mavericks got the W, and all was right with the world. 

Players

Porzingis (35 min). KP had a pretty bad first half, and just couldn't seem to establish a rhythm. He came out stronger in the second half. Although he was still missing shots (4-15), he is starting to give us a sense of what the team might be when he ultimately gets it together. He had back-to-back threes at one point, and executed a rare big-to-big alley oop with Powell that Carlisle termed "pretty f'ing cool." 

The TNT crew kept harping on KP's failure to post up, as if the game were played in their eras. Rick gave a postgame rant,  asserting that they don't want KP or anyone else posting up, as a general matter, as the post-up is a low percentage play. Rick said Luka can post up if he has a small guy on him, and Rick is okay with KP posting up once in a while, but posting up is not part of their game plan. They want guys on the perimeter, or getting to the basket instead. FWIW, Chuck Cooperstein disagreed in theory, opining that big men who can post up are "devastating," but agreed that KP does not have the skills to make it work. So, there we have it. 

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!  Go Mavs!

Very interesting debate that broke out last night.  Rarely does a top NBA coach get called out or questioned to directly on strategy and the fact that it was KP himself that responded by saying essentially "yeah, I'd like to post up more but I'm also fine with the way we play here in Dallas, different from the way I was used in New York". 
https://youtu.be/ilTwzpM3Xrg - Kristaps Porzingis on Luka Doncic Return, Role in Mavs Offense & Bounce Back After Toronto Loss
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98 - by Dahlsim - 12-27-2019, 08:04 AM