Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98
(12-27-2019, 03:50 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 03:39 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 03:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Chuck Cooperstein disagreed in theory, opining that big men who can post up are "devastating,"

LOL, sorry Coop, I'll hitch my wagon to Rick's take on how the Mavs should play the game.

Coop is not wrong though. Having a post up game was what made Dirk grow into a complete player.  I don’t think KP has the same base strength as Dirk did though. Hence would like to see some more face the basket type high post sets for him.  

This team with their two unique talents is relatively new though. Rick will add some wrinkles as time goes on to take advantage.

I don't understand how anyone can really argue with Carlise. He didn't state his opinion as an opinion. Listen to his phrasing, he stated it as an absolute FACT. As in not debatable. And he is clearly drawing heavily upon what is likely to be a very well funded Dallas Mavericks analytics team, who no doubt have access to plenty of data we don't and over a very large sample size.

It's not that he's saying post play can't be effective. He's clearly stating that you will be less effective on offense the more you incorporate post play and mid range, while you will become more effective offensively the more you exclude it. And that it's a fact, based both on the analytics done by the Mavericks, and um... our actual historic level offensive efficiency, via our playstyle which is built on those analytics.

And for those quoting Dirks play, I absolutely guarantee you that despite how good Dirk became in the mid range, if he were 26 years old right now, he's not doing that stuff today, under Rick, in todays game. He will probably get more leeway than KP, because he was much better at it, but he's shooting way way more 3's, way less mid range, and is likely going to spend his time in off seasons perfecting his 3 point shooting and driving rather than his mid range fade. That's just the way it is.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98 - by Dundalis - 12-27-2019, 07:29 AM