Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98
We saw a little more experimentation with lineups last night as there was only one minutes of game time with neither KP nor Luka on the floor.  They had been overlapping most of their time since the two NY losses.  Given KP's more aggressive game while Luka was hurt, I wondered if Carlisle would separate them again and he did.  Mixed results as KP was -9 on the night.  The team was +13 in the minutes where Powell and Maxi were both on the floor and as is often the case, there was always two of KP, Maxi and Powell on the floor at all times.  

I'm not sure what the best use of KP is going to be.  If Luka passes him the ball instead of taking the shot, .611 TS% is giving up the shot to .504%.  But, when KP plays with Wright, Brunson and Curry, those guys are only getting 15-20 minutes to make an impact (and all shoot the ball more efficiently than KP).  Brunson seems to have the most chemistry with KP.  But, the bench mob on their own without Luka or KP tends to do just fine most nights.  I don't care if KP never becomes a 20 ppg guy (he never was all that efficient in NY).  What I care about is that he becomes more of a net positive on the court.

The team absolutely died when Luka went out the last minute of the first quarter (-9) and again the last :39 of the third and first two minutes of the fourth (-8).  In both cases they immediately went on a good run with KP and mostly subs, but the transition from Luka-O to ball movement-O was pretty ugly both times.

Another new wrinkle last night was driving KP dishing assists on the move.  Two times he hit guys in the corner for 3's while driving and his lob to Powell also came while on the move.  On those plays at least, he wasn't a 7'3" Shooting Guard, he was a 7'3" Point Guard.  All three plays were pretty breathtaking.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Spurs 98 - by DanSchwartzgan - 12-27-2019, 07:08 AM