Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the Mavs finish top 4?
Hey everyone long time lurker here, I've been following the Mavs forum in some way or another since 2003, and thought I'd finally post. Just had a question to discuss, now that we are about a quarter into to the season, what do you think the odds are that the Mavs finish top 4 in the West? And how realistic do you think a final run is this year? Also do we have a gametime chat? I miss that ??
Like Reply
All depends on injuries to be honest. 

Right now the locks for top 4 for me are the Clippers, Lakers, aaaaaannndd that's about it. Nuggets and Rockets can fill the last 2 spots, but the Mavs could just as easily be there as well. 

But there is a clear separation right now between the Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks, Nuggets, and Rockets, compared to the rest of the West. As long as the Mavericks avoid a first round matchup versus the Clippers I'd be happy.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-26-2019, 08:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: But there is a clear separation right now between the Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks, Nuggets, and Rockets, compared to the rest of the West.

Don't forget Utah. They are only game and a half behind. I think they are playing worse than they are able to. They might figure it out at one point.
Like Reply
I think the Mavs home record will turn around as the Cowboys are eliminated and basketball fans get energized. If they keep up their dominance on the road I think the Mavs are right there will all of the top teams. They can certainly finish top four. In fact, they can finish much higher.

The Lakers look beatable and their record against winning teams is not great. They've lost 4 straight. Lebron could miss time.

The Nuggets just lack something. No joy. Jokic still doesn't look to be in shape.

The Clippers are the toughest matchup for Dallas but Kawhi doesn't play everyday. 

The Rockets are dangerous but Westbrook will have some 7 for 30 games when Harden is trapped the whole game.

The Mavs are just clearly better than Utah, Portland, OKC, San Antonio and Sacramento.

I honestly think the Mavs are dark horse contenders. Don't discount that Doncic might already be the best player in the West. Plus Porzingis is coming on and JJ Barea will be more of a factor as he gets healthy.
Like Reply
(12-26-2019, 08:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: All depends on injuries to be honest. 

Right now the locks for top 4 for me are the Clippers, Lakers, aaaaaannndd that's about it. Nuggets and Rockets can fill the last 2 spots, but the Mavs could just as easily be there as well. 

But there is a clear separation right now between the Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks, Nuggets, and Rockets, compared to the rest of the West. As long as the Mavericks avoid a first round matchup versus the Clippers I'd be happy.

Punk the Rox in the first round  Cool
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Yeah seems like we might be on course to face the Hardens
Like Reply
(12-26-2019, 02:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Yeah seems like we might be on course to face the Hardens

That would be perfect.
Like Reply
Awesome username! But dont you mean 41.21.1? Smile
Like Reply
(12-26-2019, 06:11 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Awesome username! But dont you mean 41.21.1? Smile

Yeah I did, I realized I typed it wrong but don't know how to change it.
Like Reply
The Mavs can finish first. Probably, the Clippers will (or at least they should), but a healthy Mavs team that makes one modest trade to acquire a part time wing defender is the second best team in the West.
Like Reply
It's possible. Like people already said, they just have to be healthy.

Also, if they finish top 3 or 4, Luka will be the MVP. Screw Giannis and Harden.
Like Reply
Yes

Both LA teams will load manage and it will cost them.

Mavs have had time to tinker with roster over past 3 years and Rick is a good coach.  I think they can finish top 2 with 3 their bottom imo.  As long as they stay semi healthy but that goes for all teams.
Like Reply