Poll: Safe #7
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Green
5.26%
1 5.26%
Kleber
21.05%
4 21.05%
Exum
21.05%
4 21.05%
Hardy
10.53%
2 10.53%
O-Max
42.11%
8 42.11%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nico’s 7 or 8
My first attempt at a poll. When Nico said our core of 7-8 would stay intact, who was the definitely staying put #7 on his list? Assuming it couldn’t have been a starter or DLive, which of the guys above is for sure not on the trade block right now?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
I don't think any of the options you listed are "for sure" not on the trade block, especially given how things are shaking out. I'd say the least likely to get moved from your list, for a variety of reasons, is Maxi Kleber. But, in the right deal I think they'd drive him to the airport.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I have to think that Green was the 7th guy Nico had in mind until he cooked up the Grimes trade
But now he's available so I had to vote OMax
Got to think Omax and his upside has more value to us that what he'd add to a trade
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:14 PM)Jym Wrote: I have to think that Green was the 7th guy Nico had in mind until he cooked up the Grimes trade
But now he's available so I had to vote OMax
Got to think Omax and his upside has more value to us that what he'd add to a trade

To your point re Grimes/Green, it's all fluid. 

I'm higher on O-Max than most, but if you add another longer forward...Grant, Kuzma, Tobias Harris...a 4 type like that, with PJ Washington and DJJ both on the roster, any chance O-Max has of developing here before his rookie contract ends goes into the toilet. 

All of these guys are gone in certain circumstances. 

What makes this team feel better than other years is that we wouldn't mind if they were kept, either. In fact, every one of the names from this poll has fans who are hoping to see them stay. That makes this snapshot of Mavs history pretty interesting, though I'm sure most fans will find someone to hate by about November.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 02:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To your point re Grimes/Green, it's all fluid. 

I'm higher on O-Max than most, but if you add another longer forward...Grant, Kuzma, Tobias Harris...a 4 type like that, with PJ Washington and DJJ both on the roster, any chance O-Max has of developing here before his rookie contract ends goes into the toilet. 

All of these guys are gone in certain circumstances. 

What makes this team feel better than other years is that we wouldn't mind if they were kept, either. In fact, every one of the names from this poll has fans who are hoping to see them stay. That makes this snapshot of Mavs history pretty interesting, though I'm sure most fans will find someone to hate by about November.
I'm pretty high on O-Max too. I think he is in the plans. However, a trade could quickly alter that. I don't think any of those guys are a no trade situation. The right deal makes any of them available. I just feel like O-Max would be the closest to needing a really good deal for him to not be in the plans.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
I know the top 7 comment was made by Nico, but if we've learned anything from Nico is that if there is anyway to improve this team and it doesn't include Luka, Lively, or Kyrie, he'll pull the trigger. He can't come out and say nobody is safe because that kills their value. He probably even means it in his heart, but he will do what's best for the Mavs organization and not lead with emotion. I personally don't think anyone on this list is safe if the right deal came about. Just my opinion.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • audiosway, loki
Like Reply
agree even gafford is tradable given the right deal. by saying that nico was just trying make us look like a stock holder who only sells for the right price rather than a desperate buyer imho.
Like Reply
I'm pretty high on Omax. I think we need to give him time to mature a bit. I wouldn't mind keeping anybody on this list...or all of them. I also wouldn't mind trading any of them under the right circumstances.
Like Reply
For sure, you all are correct that these guys aren’t untouchable. None of them.

Still, what I’m asking is who you think Nico had in mind when he said 7 or 8 guys who make up the core would be back for another run. Seems plain to me that #8 ain’t that safe or he would’ve said 8, not 7 or 8, right? And it seems hard, at least for me, to think he meant O-Max, since the context suggested that the “core” is the group who just got em to the finals. I’m super tempted to call Dante #7 based on his stellar regular season play and the possibility that he had an undisclosed injury during the playoff run. Certainly he seems unlikely to be traded. But Josh and Maxi have good arguments too.
Like Reply
Based on minutes played, Green was obviously 7th in the rotation (after the starters + DLive). You could argue that if Maxi had been healthy for the entire run he might have taken that spot pushing Green to 8th place, but there's not really much of a question here. Omax wasn't in the actual rotation at all. Hardy and Exum were clearly behind Green as the 9th and 10th players who might or might not be in the rotation on any given night.
Like Reply
To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure it matters. I don’t think Harrison necessarily meant to speak precisely, or intended “7-8” to imply there was a cutoff line, above which people were safe and below which he’d hope to improve.

I think he was basically saying that he thought the playoff rotation was the core of a good team, and he wasn’t going into the summer looking to reinvent it.

Honestly, if he did mean anything specific by choosing that language, the implication is probably just that the cutoff point excluded Hardaway.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, Jmaciscool, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 08:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure it matters. I don’t think Harrison necessarily meant to speak precisely, or intended “7-8” to imply there was a cutoff line, above which people were safe and below which he’d hope to improve.

I think he was basically saying that he thought the playoff rotation was the core of a good team, and he wasn’t going into the summer looking to reinvent it.

Honestly, if he did mean anything specific by choosing that language, the implication is probably just that the cutoff point excluded Hardaway.

Maybe so. I can’t help but think good GMs are very careful choosing their words—at least when they know their players will hear what they’ve said about them. So I would expect the opposite of what you’ve said here. I would expect that Nico had exit interviews with every player and told 7 of em they were absolutely coming back and an 8th that it would take an unexpected deal for an all star to trade him, while also letting the rest know precisely where they stand.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 11:26 PM)The Jom Wrote: Maybe so. I can’t help but think good GMs are very careful choosing their words—at least when they know their players will hear what they’ve said about them. So I would expect the opposite of what you’ve said here. I would expect that Nico had exit interviews with every player and told 7 of em they were absolutely coming back and an 8th that it would take an unexpected deal for an all star to trade him, while also letting the rest know precisely where they stand.

But what I'm saying is that it WAS careful wording, but only regarding Hardaway.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 08:48 PM)Arioch Wrote: Based on minutes played, Green was obviously 7th in the rotation (after the starters + DLive). You could argue that if Maxi had been healthy for the entire run he might have taken that spot pushing Green to 8th place, but there's not really much of a question here. Omax wasn't in the actual rotation at all. Hardy and Exum were clearly behind Green as the 9th and 10th players who might or might not be in the rotation on any given night.

I see a strong argument for Green. I think the argument for Kleber pre-injury is stronger. More minutes and his role as closer. 

And I also saw Exum coming on strong at the end of the regular season (23 mins per game in April), outplaying Green and Kleber both by a mile going into the playoffs (his first). He played 16 awful minutes in game 1 and didn’t look like himself again until the finals against Boston (going 1 of his first 10 from the 3-point line to start the playoffs and connecting on 6 of his last 10). If he had an undisclosed injury—one that affected his shot—that would explain a whole lot. 

So I can’t agree with you that it’s obvious.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 11:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But what I'm saying is that it WAS careful wording, but only regarding Hardaway.

I can see that possibility. But it would mean he didn’t mind letting a #8 feel a bit iffy about the future.
Like Reply
nba is just a business and players are all kinda used to it. maybe the team you play against one night will turn out to be the team you join the other night. so what Nico said was more like a statement to the other 29 teams rather than one to them mavs tbh.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 11:48 PM)The Jom Wrote: I can see that possibility. But it would mean he didn’t mind letting a #8 feel a bit iffy about the future.

I understand what you're suggesting. Joe Cronin, the Portland GM, has had three appearances in a row where he mentions building around several of their good players by name, each time omitting the name Anthony Simmons, who is arguably their current first or second best player. Loads of Blazers fans have inferred that he's indirectly suggesting Simmons will be traded, and I think that's an accurate read. 

I just didn't read any sort of coded message like that from Harrison's appearance, personally, other than perhaps about Hardaway. If it was there, it was too subtle for me.
  • The Jom
Like Reply
If anything is untouchable it is the chemistry and the learning each other process they have gone through together. Those leaders are the most likely to still be here. I agree with above but playoff experience together as long as a player is a positive to that really matters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
I'm not as high on O-Max as most of you are, so I voted for Exum. He can play two positions in a pinch, and he isn't as timid as Green. But everyone on the list is expendable in the right deal.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 04:48 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: I'm not as high on O-Max as most of you are

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9521cyirki3cjwseucx48...y.gif&ct=g]
  • audiosway
Like Reply