Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doncic's Defense
He's in year two. He's an MVP candidate. He's only 20 years old. I am not talking smack with this thread. But I would like an honest discussion amongst us fans.

We have seen in the small sample size this year that Dallas' defense performs better with Doncic on the bench. So, atm, he is a + on offense and a - on defense overall. 

Now, some players like Harden are also the same. While players like K. Leonard are + on both ends of the court. So while a great offensive player can certainly win MVP, I personally think that it takes a great two way player to lead a team to a championship, unless that player is surrounded by tons of talent (i.e. S. Curry).

My question is two fold. 
A) What is Doncic's upside on defense? 
B) If he doesn't improve his defense over his career, will it deter him leading the Mavs to a championship or more?

Personally, I value defense ALOT. I think this year the teams that can beat the Mavs are the Lakers, the Clippers, Boston, and the Bucks. And I think each of them are favored due to their ability to play defense. 

So as a team, Dallas needs to make a defensive leap with or without Doncic improving in that area. But, back to this thread - I'd love to know people's thoughts on Doncic, his current and future D, and the impact on the future success of the team.

Cheers!
Like Reply
I agree with you that a leader should be a leader on both ends. I think he is totally capable of playing a decent defense. Probably doesn't have the energy as he is so engaded on the offensive side. Give him a bit of rest on the offensive side and he will be able to be more engaded on defense.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 02:36 PM)omahen Wrote: I agree with you that a leader should be a leader on both ends. I think he is totally capable of playing a decent defense. Probably doesn't have the energy as he is so engaded on the offensive side. Give him a bit of rest on the offensive side and he will be able to be more engaded on defense.
Interesting point. The argument for someone who can take some of the scoring load to free up Doncic on the defensive end.
Like Reply
His defense doesn't concern me. He's improved over last year and I don't see teams going at him non stop because he's a liability. I think he plays above average defense and will improve more with time. I don't think our best player has to be a great 2 way player to win a championship as Dirk showed. I think Luka plays pretty good defense on "key" possessions. Other than the Clippers, no current team is really a defensive juggernaut. Even with the Clips, it's only when they want to be. Playoffs come down to a few possessions so if Luka can crank up the intensity the last 3 minutes or so of playoff games, he'll be fine.

All that being said I love 2 way players also, but that's not Luka's game as of now. That doesn't mean he can't become a strong defender. He's definitely never going to be a all NBA defender, but he can become good on defense. I really wanted Butler (because he's a top 2 way player) this summer even though I was in the extreme minority. I think we would be the favorites right now if we had Jimmy Butler on this team. Everyone was worried about his emotional side/baggage. He seems to be doing just fine in Miami. I think the guy hates to lose and I don't see that as a bad quality. Luka hates to lose. It just means they care. Luka will lead this team to multiple championships regardless of if he becomes a great 2 way player or not.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 02:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: His defense doesn't concern me. He's improved over last year and I don't see teams going at him non stop because he's a liability. I think he plays above average defense and will improve more with time. I don't think our best player has to be a great 2 way player to win a championship as Dirk showed. I think Luka plays pretty good defense on "key" possessions. Other than the Clippers, no current team is really a defensive juggernaut. Even with the Clips, it's only when they want to be. Playoffs come down to a few possessions so if Luka can crank up the intensity the last 3 minutes or so of playoff games, he'll be fine.

All that being said I love 2 way players also, but that's not Luka's game as of now. That doesn't mean he can't become a strong defender. He's definitely never going to be a all NBA defender, but he can become good on defense. I really wanted Butler (because he's a top 2 way player) this summer even though I was in the extreme minority. I think we would be the favorites right now if we had Jimmy Butler on this team. Everyone was worried about his emotional side/baggage. He seems to be doing just fine in Miami. I think the guy hates to lose and I don't see that as a bad quality. Luka hates to lose. It just means they care. Luka will lead this team to multiple championships regardless of if he becomes a great 2 way player or not.
Yes Butler would have been amazing. I've been saying the same thing. We'd be favorites right now with him.
Like Reply
In Doncic's defense  Wink, I dont think that his competitive spirit and basketball IQ will ever allow him to be a weak link on defense in the long run. I expect him to be an average to above average defender over the course of his career, much like Dirk was
Like Reply
(12-25-2019, 12:07 AM)BolsDamols Wrote: In Doncic's defense  Wink, I dont think that his competitive spirit and basketball IQ will ever allow him to be a weak link on defense in the long run. I expect him to be an average to above average defender over the course of his career, much like Dirk was

So much this. 

Dirk was a GOOD team defender (which is actually more important than being a good individual defender). I expect Doncic to be that at minimum.
Like Reply
I don't think the numbers are reflective of Luka's individual defensive skill or effort level, they are just a product of the pace of the game with Luka pushing things.  As long as we are scoring more than the other team when Luka is playing I don't think we should be worried about whether it's 130-120 or 100-90.  I think he's capable of thriving at either pace and just doing what he thinks is best for the team right now.
Like Reply
One very important aspect of defense is to finish the defensive possession with the rebound. Luka has improved by leaps and bounds (boards) over last year. Good team defense and be the board man (like Dirk was) will be fine with me for now. Maybe he can learn the slap down from Dirk.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply