Poll: Who will win the game? (Raps 2.0 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
61.54%
8 61.54%
Raptors
38.46%
5 38.46%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 29: DAL (19-10) @ TOR (21-8) | 107-110 loss (Mavs had 30 pt lead)
Games like this show we are not there yet. As soon as the opponents increase the intensity, we melt down more or less. And this level of intensity will be 48 minutes in the playoffs. A lot of growing up to do.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 08:48 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 07:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Also JJB is on this team. When you are up 23 to start the 4th quarter just throw him out there. Have him play the whole quarter. He won't F up a lead I promise.
This...

Maybe the point is for JB and Delon to learn how to handle pressure. They'll need to in order to succeed in the playoffs. They failed tonight. Can they learn from it.

Rick probably could have won the game by going to JJB, but maybe he chose not to do that because he wanted JB and Delon to experience pressure applied by a desperate and playoff tested crew.

(12-22-2019, 08:43 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: i dont know why he does't get the logic how bigger player gets more rebounds/easier offense and spends less energy defensively while a smaller player trying to get room for a shot vs a bigger defender as well as fight for rebounds has to expend more energy.

I have no idea why the Mavs employ a coach that doesn't know as much as you about basketball.
Like Reply
Well, we have four days before the next game, which should be enough time for the Mavs to hire a fundamentals coach to teach the guys how to beat the press and how to double team and take the ball out of a hot hand like Lowry.

The ONLY thing we absolutely could not allow to happen was a three point shot barrage, which is exactly what happened.  Without a three point barrage, the Raptors could not win this game.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 09:17 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, we have four days before the next game, which should be enough time for the Mavs to hire a fundamentals coach to teach the guys how to beat the press and how to double team and take the ball out of a hot hand like Lowry.

LOL
Like Reply
Man.. just got home. What the hell happened?

This sucks.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 09:26 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 09:17 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, we have four days before the next game, which should be enough time for the Mavs to hire a fundamentals coach to teach the guys how to beat the press and how to double team and take the ball out of a hot hand like Lowry.

LOL
Well, blowing 30 point leads is not in the least funny to me.

(12-22-2019, 09:34 PM)donzingis38 Wrote: Man.. just got home. What the hell happened?

This sucks.
The Raptors ran a full court press at the Mavs in the 4th and the Mavs wilted.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 09:36 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, blowing 30 point leads is not in the least funny to me.

Oh, sorry, I thought it was a good line
Like Reply
I posted this in another thread, but I really wish they would have pressed back when things started going the wrong way.  I know conventional wisdom is you have the lead and they are trying to pick up the pace to get back in it, so you try to slow it down, but as it did tonight, they got tentative and got out of rhythm, playing really lethargic.

Harp made a good point later in the game about it basically being 3 G-Leaguers who haven't got a lot of experience, RHJ and Lowry...  Made me think that we should have started pressing them in the middle of their run.

My thinking is that, yeah, it would have sped things up, but I'm betting three really low experience guys in a lineup that doesn't play much, would have a hard time beating the press without mistakes, more than our guys.  That would have kept our energy up and since conventional wisdom expects the team in the lead to slow it down, I think it would have been unexpected for the Raps and would have broken their rhythm.

Those young guys were just reacting and not thinking, playing really loose...if you press them, make them think, maybe make a few mistakes and get down on themselves...maybe this doesn't happen.

Another thing.

I don't know if it's Rick's offensive philosophy or what, but Jalen Brunson just baffles me sometimes. 

Here is a guy that's supposed to know about running a team, College Basketball Player of the Decade, who's allegedly a smart player, and AGAIN, tonight, he goes old school, young-and-stupid JJBarea. 
Three STRAIGHT TRIPS down the court, when we need a basket, he passes on Kyle Lowry switched off on KP in the post TWICE in a row and the other with KP wide open at the 3 point line, in favor of 2 forced missed shots and a turnover.

I just don't understand how a smart player can do this...and it's not the first time at all.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
This bench has played very well. Part of that is they have guys in Wright,Seth, Jalen,Hardaway who can get their own shot. Passing and size are a weak point. This was a terrible loss but they will learn and once Luka gets back, this will help them. Things were coming a bit too easy for this bench. A reality check will serve them good.

Their overall play has way exceeded my expectations and I still have a lot of trust in this crew to keep improving based on what they have showed so far.
Like Reply