Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SUGGESTED NBA RULE CHANGE
NBA should get rid of 6 fouls and then a player is ejected.

1) Players have to play soft after a couple of fouls early or they have to play soft late because of being in foul trouble.  This is bad for basketball and fans

2) It eliminates ref error or ref bad actors

Penalties should be free throws after a certain number of fouls.  Certainly not teams losing their top players by them having to play soft or ejection.  

Obviously this extremely reasonable rule which would make the NBA such a better product, not hard to implement and is impossible to argue against would never be considered.   Why?  Hmmmmm.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 08:58 AM)youzigizag Wrote: NBA should get rid of 6 fouls and then a player is ejected.

1) Players have to play soft after a couple of fouls early or they have to play soft late because of being in foul trouble.  This is bad for basketball and fans

Penalties should be free throws after a certain number of fouls.  Certainly not teams losing their top players by them having to play soft or ejection.  

Obviously this extremely reasonable rule which would make the NBA such a better product, not hard to implement and is impossible to argue against would never be considered.   Why?  Hmmmmm.

Not sure if this is serious, because I think it is pretty obvious why it wouldn't work. Without a foul limit, NBA game would be a free throw competition. I think no one wants that.
[-] The following 6 users Like omahen's post:
  • Arioch, fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, MFFL, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:03 AM)omahen Wrote: Not sure if this is serious, because I think it is pretty obvious why it wouldn't work. Without a foul limit, NBA game would be a free throw competition. I think no one wants that.

I think thats a lazy excuse...and the players and coaches would be at fault for ruining the game by Embiid and Davis fouling each instead of going at each other to try and score.   Your suggestion makes it sound like players would just foul Jokic instead of trying to defend him...like Hack-a-Shaq would take over the NBA or something. 

Increase Free Throws per foul(that is reviewable - please dont say the game will be slowed down) and then have missed game/s for frequent abusers of fouling.

That is way better than star players being taken out of games early.  Anything is better than star players being taken out of game early or late in games.

Have a tier system with harsher impact in 4th quarter on teams that foul a lot.   Anything is better than stars/key players being taken out of the game in the first half of basketball games.

I think my local rec center and just about everywhere I have played the players self govern themselves well.
Like Reply
Ultimately the main point was that key players being taken out of games due to having to play soft is bad for basketball.

And...I think there are easy approaches to eliminating that but there doesnt even seem to be an attempt. Especially with a somewhat strong stigma that refs make tons have bad calls on defenders.

Odd if you ask me.
Like Reply
You need a foul limit.

What you're describing will actually create more *soft* fouls because teams can just run up and intentionally foul a poor FT shooter every single time down as that's the most efficient way to stop a team from scoring.

As soon as everyone is a 75%+ FT shooter on the court, then the 2nd phase will happen.

No one will be able to properly score as any time a defender is beat, they could just tackle the offensive player as many times as they want.

It wouldn't be basketball anymore but instead an amalgamation of football and free throws.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Arioch, fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 10:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: You need a foul limit.

What you're describing will actually create more *soft* fouls because teams can just run up and intentionally foul a poor FT shooter every single time down as that's the most efficient way to stop a team from scoring.

As soon as everyone is a 75%+ FT shooter on the court, then the 2nd phase will happen.

No one will be able to properly score as any time a defender is beat, they could just tackle the offensive player as many times as they want.

It wouldn't be basketball anymore but instead an amalgamation of football and free throws.

You know how you know something is set up to gas light you...is when topics are brought up and posters conveniently side-step talking about an important part of the problem....like there is no elephant in the room.

You know what is even more glaring than that...is when posters give rigid excuses why something cant be done and give no possible solutions to their excuse.   As if...its just impossible to them so there is no solution available.

I think there are tons of solutions to this problem...but...conveniently...no one wants to hear them, talk about them or they want to claim that its possible to fix.  They prefer inconsistent rules and ref'ing and key players being eliminated from games, lol.   What a creation
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 10:24 AM)youzigizag Wrote: You know how you know something is set up to gas light you...is when topics are brought up and posters conveniently side-step talking about an important part of the problem....like there is no elephant in the room.

You know what is even more glaring than that...is when posters give rigid excuses why something cant be done and give no possible solutions to their excuse.   As if...its just impossible to them so there is no solution available.

I think there are tons of solutions to this problem...but...conveniently...no one wants to hear them, talk about them or they want to claim that its possible to fix.  They prefer inconsistent rules and ref'ing and key players being eliminated from games, lol.   What a creation

What would be EVEN BETTER:  the NBA puts in a rule that the Mavericks get unlimited fouls for each player, but their opponents only get, say 3 fouls before a player fouls out.

Prove me wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 10:40 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: What would be EVEN BETTER:  the NBA puts in a rule that the Mavericks get unlimited fouls for each player, but their opponents only get, say 3 fouls before a player fouls out.

Prove me wrong.

You hate me for being right all the time...and deep down agree with me

Should we have a convo where you try so so so hard to justify greed and hate and fail miserably?
Like Reply
NBA defensive coaches should coach guys to not jump on defense in the paint.

Seems simple to me. Only jump for rebounds.

Incoming unreasonable extreme points of view "LOL...this guy wants no one to jump...what a fool!...lets assign a bunch of bots to attack this fool!"

I would be scouting solid defenders that dont leave their feet easy. KJ Adams Kentucky is one. Booty on offense. 6'7 and very relaxed and controlled on defense, isnt going full speed and allow himself to losing control...he knows what he is trying to do and stays disciplined to it. Not saying I want him...Im saying he is relaxed and in control of his on-ball defense
Like Reply
I really can't get this guy. Sometimes he is decently reasonable, but then just like that like a totally different person appears. Does he have a younger brother of some 9 years or so who abducts his computer and starts posting in his name? Or is it perhaps a dual (or multiple?) personality case? If he is just trying to have some fun, he has a really different sense of humor.

I don't mind the content, although it does seem a bit absurd to me personally. Still, I could discuss it or ignore it. I am speaking about the representation. This bombardment of posts saying same thing all over the board. And this statements of convincement how right he is and how all of us know he is right.

Just amazing case!
[-] The following 5 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 10:24 AM)youzigizag Wrote: You know how you know something is set up to gas light you...is when topics are brought up and posters conveniently side-step talking about an important part of the problem....like there is no elephant in the room.

Zigzag, you're just saying the same stuff you said to me. No one is here to gaslight anyone. We're mostly just regular dudes. See if you can come out of that suspicious, defensive shell and be a regular dude with us. We argue basketball here. It's a message board. It's what we do. Nothing personal. No gaslighting. Just good ol' fashion conversation.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 10:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: You need a foul limit.

Not only that, it will destroy the flow of the game, stopping every two minutes to shoot FT's. Games would take forever to play. No thanks...
Like Reply
I would increase the penalty to 7 fouls before the bonus. Those extra 2 fouls can come in handy and defenses could afford to be a little more aggressive without fear of picking up a cheap foul. At the bare minimum, this would be the easiest way to try to help defenses contain offenses in today's game without having to change up the rules. The NBA tried to limit scoring by changing the way the game is officiated but that can be a slippery slope because it would still depend on what refs are calling the game and their own interpretation.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 12:15 PM)omahen Wrote: I really can't get this guy. Sometimes he is decently reasonable, but then just like that like a totally different person appears. Does he have a younger brother of some 9 years or so who abducts his computer and starts posting in his name? Or is it perhaps a dual (or multiple?) personality case? If he is just trying to have some fun, he has a really different sense of humor.

I don't mind the content, although it does seem a bit absurd to me personally. Still, I could discuss it or ignore it. I am speaking about the representation. This bombardment of posts saying same thing all over the board. And this statements of convincement how right he is and how all of us know he is right.

Just amazing case!

Cool, sci-fi story.  

"Its always the people closest to you"

Right back to shock value and gas lighting.   I guess your post validates my posts around here.

Funny...no one wants to eliminate key players being ejected when there are a million ways to preserve the game while also preventing key players getting ejected.

Who cares...its all a roos anyway.
Like Reply
The rule change I would like to see in the NBA is that technical fouls also count as personal fouls. We would see a lot less mouthing off and other nonsense during games.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 1 user Likes OBX Maverick's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply

Ok Cause and Effect time:

You said:
Quote: 1) Players have to play soft after a couple of fouls early or they have to play soft late because of being in foul trouble.  This is bad for basketball and fans

Both omahen and I retorted and pointed out the actual effect removing the foul cap limit would cause. As it removes all incentive to actually play basketball. 

Your response is that I'm trying to...gaslight you? Do you know what gaslighting is? 

Ok back to the argument...

What I'm trying to gather is that you don't like touch fouls being called? Ok I agree. How can we fix that? Well I believe the first real step would be abolishing the NBA Referee Union. That way the refs are no longer protected for any reason.

2nd: I'd install an independent 3rd party review system that tracks every referee call individually, every game, and generate a report card. Refs lose points for inaccurate calls, miscalls, or excessive calls. Any referee below a "B" on the report card will be sent down to the G-League. Only "A" refs can be designated crew chiefs and can ref playoff basketball games. 

3rd: I'd recruit referees from the Euroleague. They don't take shit.

4th: I'd immediately abolish all forms of protesting/complaining/barking etc. from players and coaches. NBA teams have to designate a single person on the coaching staff and only that person can talk to refs. Further, that designated person can only speak to refs during dead balls. Any player or coach that violates this rule is given a team technical foul (as in it doesn't count as a personal tech for ejection), but also instantly puts the opposing team in the bonus. So players/coaches can if they so choose complain to an official, but doing so gives the other team a possible advantage.

Do these suggestions meet your expectations?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:27 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Odd if you ask me.

No one asked you. No one has ever asked you anything. No one will ever ask you anything. You are a crazy person that we all wish we didn’t have to scroll past to get to the smart people.

Read more. Learn more. Type less. Do better.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 03:25 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Do these suggestions meet your expectations?

OK, so it turns out sleepinghero did ask you something (for some reason). My mistake.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 10:49 AM)youzigizag Wrote: NBA defensive coaches should coach guys to not jump on defense in the paint.

Seems simple to me.  Only jump for rebounds.

I

I can almost get behind this idea.  Except I'd say only jump for rebounds and blocks.  Probably something else they should jump for, but I can't think of it right now.

Maybe jump for wins.  This is a complex concept.  It requires thought--quiet contemplation.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 04:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: OK, so it turns out sleepinghero did ask you something (for some reason). My mistake.

[Image: juno-cool.gif]
Like Reply