Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (0-0)
Mavs need a fax pace to win the series. That should be the main focus of the off day. Figure out how to speed the game up.
Like Reply
Charles Barkley just referred to the Mavs as front runners.
Like Reply
Irving was the worst player on the floor outside of Hardaway. Irving cannot guard a chair
Like Reply
(04-21-2024, 11:56 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Charles Barkley just referred to the Mavs as front runners.

Barkley always flip-flops between teams. He trashed the Pacers too. He said both teams were going to make noise. As soon as they win, he's back on the band wagon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
I wasn’t crazy reading some of Gafford’s comments after the game.  He had some weird ones after the trade and he had a few games he wasn’t playing much.  He may be a guy who can get into his own head.  I think it will be important that you get him involved early next game.

Clippers were the better team yesterday.  I wonder if things would have looked different if Lively/Gafford would have finished dunks at the rim.  I think two of them they were fouled and split the free throws.  Add to this Lively had a layup miss and Hardaway also had a layup miss.  That is 10 points.  I think most of them were in the second quarter too.   Probably not enough to change the outcome but when the team was struggling getting a few easy baskets would have helped stop the bleeding.
Like Reply
The Clippers beat us savagely because of 3 things:

3-point shooting
Better center play
Vastly superior coaching

The 3-point shooting discrepancy should improve.  Some of their success was the result of great passing and open looks but some was just luck.  Our distance shooting should improve as the series goes on.

Our center play should improve as well.   I reject the suggestion that the Mavs should play small-ball this series with Maxi as the 5.  Gafford and Lively are our 3rd and 4th-best players.  We need them on the floor.  They will need to improve defensively and hit the boards harder.  Zubac isn't better than either of them.  He's just more experienced and played with more force.  Gafford and Lively need to win the center battle.  Maxi at the 5 is effective as an occasional adjustment but can't be our primary lineup.  He's just too awful offensively and on the boards.

My primary concern is our coaching.  We could have replaced Kidd with a Labrador retriever and the dog could have performed similarly.  Maybe Ty Lue hypnotized him before the game?  Maybe Kidd's been talking to Johntay Porter's guy?  There was a complete absence of a plan on offense at the beginning of the game.  There was no reaction to any call that went against us.  No reaction even when Paul George took out Gafford with a forearm.  He should have spoken to one of the officials about all the Harden push-offs at some point early on.  He should have asked that they watch that closely.  He should have contested the Harden kickout on the 3-point shot foul.  Most of all, he should have used a few time outs during the bludgeoning that occurred throughout the 2nd quarter.  Kidd shit the bed then shit the bathtub when he was trying to clean himself up.  He remains covered in shit currently and has no idea how to solve even the simplest problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • Luka77, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 08:42 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: My primary concern is our coaching.  We could have replaced Kidd with a Labrador retriever and the dog could have performed similarly.  Maybe Ty Lue hypnotized him before the game?  Maybe Kidd's been talking to Johntay Porter's guy?  There was a complete absence of a plan on offense at the beginning of the game.  There was no reaction to any call that went against us.  No reaction even when Paul George took out Gafford with a forearm.  He should have spoken to one of the officials about all the Harden push-offs at some point early on.  He should have asked that they watch that closely.  He should have contested the Harden kickout on the 3-point shot foul.  Most of all, he should have used a few time outs during the bludgeoning that occurred throughout the 2nd quarter.  Kidd shit the bed then shit the bathtub when he was trying to clean himself up.  He remains covered in shit currently and has no idea how to solve even the simplest problem.

I think these are very interesting psychological questions. Was Kidd trying to give his guys "welcome to the playoffs" lesson and this pays off in the long run? There were several instances in a row in the second half where Harden pushed off DJJ, refs stayed silent and DJJ was complaining to the refs leaving Harden with open shots or drives. DJJ was substituted soon after following another bad attempt in transition offense. Would it be better to protect him or is it better to send a message "these are playoffs, toughen up and don't cry like a baby"?

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

Same question could be asked why he only took 2 time-out in the awfull first half. Was that to give his guys a lesson?

Why Kidd didn't challenge that 3pt foul is really mind boggling.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 08:42 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The Clippers beat us savagely because of 3 things:

3-point shooting
Better center play
Vastly superior coaching

The 3-point shooting discrepancy should improve.  Some of their success was the result of great passing and open looks but some was just luck.  Our distance shooting should improve as the series goes on.

Our center play should improve as well.   I reject the suggestion that the Mavs should play small-ball this series with Maxi as the 5.  Gafford and Lively are our 3rd and 4th-best players.  We need them on the floor.  They will need to improve defensively and hit the boards harder.  Zubac isn't better than either of them.  He's just more experienced and played with more force.  Gafford and Lively need to win the center battle.  Maxi at the 5 is effective as an occasional adjustment but can't be our primary lineup.  He's just too awful offensively and on the boards.

My primary concern is our coaching.  We could have replaced Kidd with a Labrador retriever and the dog could have performed similarly.  Maybe Ty Lue hypnotized him before the game?  Maybe Kidd's been talking to Johntay Porter's guy?  There was a complete absence of a plan on offense at the beginning of the game.  There was no reaction to any call that went against us.  No reaction even when Paul George took out Gafford with a forearm.  He should have spoken to one of the officials about all the Harden push-offs at some point early on.  He should have asked that they watch that closely.  He should have contested the Harden kickout on the 3-point shot foul.  Most of all, he should have used a few time outs during the bludgeoning that occurred throughout the 2nd quarter.  Kidd shit the bed then shit the bathtub when he was trying to clean himself up.  He remains covered in shit currently and has no idea how to solve even the simplest problem.

Personally,  I dont see how an offensive player(Zubac) with ball is allowed to physically push a defender down from about 7ft out to about 1ft from the basket and then the defender get called for contact for trying to prevent an easy layup or dunk.

Gafford was in foul trouble within first few minutes of game.   He got caught in the air on one of the early fouls, though.

NBA has work to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:01 AM)omahen Wrote: I think these are very interesting psychological questions. Was Kidd trying to give his guys "welcome to the playoffs" lesson and this pays off in the long run? There were several instances in a row in the second half where Harden pushed off DJJ, refs stayed silent and DJJ was complaining to the refs leaving Harden with open shots or drives. DJJ was substituted soon after following another bad attempt in transition offense. Would it be better to protect him or is it better to send a message "these are playoffs, toughen up and don't cry like a baby"?

Same question could be asked why he only took 2 time-out in the awfull first half. Was that to give his guys a lesson?

Why Kidd didn't challenge that 3pt foul is really mind boggling.

It's Kidd's job to bring this to the attention of the officials.  He doesn't have to scream and plead like Mike Brown does.  He can talk to the officials during free throws and other breaks in the game to point out what's going on.  He just chooses not to.  

Kidd probably intervenes less as a coach than any coach in modern NBA history.  This is not a good thing.  He clearly has some positive qualities as a coach especially player development.  As a head coach though, he's just terrible.  We'd be wise to hire a new head coach this offseason.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:36 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Personally,  I dont see how an offensive player(Zubac) with ball is allowed to physically push a defender down from about 7ft out to about 1ft from the basket and then the defender get called for contact for trying to prevent an easy layup or dunk.

Gafford was in foul trouble within first few minutes of game.   He got caught in the air on one of the early fouls, though.

NBA has work to do.

Coach Kidd might have said something to the officials about this.  He didn't.
Like Reply
(04-22-2024, 09:52 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Coach Kidd might have said something to the officials about this.  He didn't.

Its League wide.   Inconsistent rules, inconsistent ref'ing.

You cant like a team anymore...all you can do is watch for highlights.   Refs are going to ruin the game for the team you like.
Like Reply

2nd quarter breakdown. Quick summary...

- Harden was mismatch hunting. Going after THJ and Luka
- Luka is beyond bad as the drop defender against the pick and roll
- Lively in drop defense leaves him in no man's land. Unplayable if the Mavs don't make adjustments
- Kyrie and Luka played all out hero ball. Terrible shot selection
- Kleber in the short roll isn't working. Not a threat to attack the rim. Clippers will play the pass every single time
- Clippers are willing to give up the corner 3 from PJ or DJJ
Like Reply