Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
P.J. Washington: 13reb, 2ast, 2blk, 14pts
3.13%
1 3.13%
DJJ: 2rbd, 1stl, 1blk, 10pts
0%
0 0%
D. Gafford: 1rbd, 1blk, 6pts
0%
0 0%
Kyrie: 7rdb, 2ast, 1stl, 48pts
78.13%
25 78.13%
Luka: 9rbd, 12ast, 2blks, 37pts
0%
0 0%
Maxi: 4rbd, 3ast, 2stl, 1blk, 9pts
3.13%
1 3.13%
Dante Exum: 9rbd, 2ast, 14pts
15.63%
5 15.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 78 Dirkie thread: Kyrie "Mr. Clutch" Irving--out of the crowd.
There are a lot of noteworthy players today. PJW started slow but came on strong later. DJJ played some stiff defense. Gafford got into foul trouble, but still made his presence known. Kyrie "Mr. Clutch" Irving lived up to his name. Luka!...also made some great plays...not the least was in assisting Kyrie in his play. Kleber...is so important to the team...and he is rounding out great for the playoffs (if he stays healthy)--an elbow to the throat didn't help. Dante Exum--is somebody we can trust--he is so damn good.

I've got to give my Dirkie to Kyrie "Mr. Clutch" Irving. If it hadn't been for Kyrie, I think I would have considered Maxi Kleber.
Like Reply
Kyrie was incredible and carried them for long stretches. Exum provided the big plays when they needed to score in the 4th and OT. Kleber was the necessary counter that prevented a disaster when the small ball Rockets destroyed the Mavs defense. Voting Exum.
Like Reply
Kyrie was phenomenal, unstoppable in the fourth. Defnitely scored way more than his average and he played above expetations because of that. Exum, PJ, DJJ and Maxi performed great in their roles.

Shoutout to Luka, who is supposed to be so difficult to play with, because he doesn't allow other stars to shine next to him. Saw Kyrie is hot and can expoit match-ups and deffered to him all through the fourth. Also passed to Exum for the game-tying shot.

Shoutout also to Kidd, for keeping right players in and creating some smart plays.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Lukedoncic, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I got Kyrie, though Exum was tempting for hitting that shot, got to love Luka adding in that petty 2 at the end though just as an FU to Dillon Brooks.

Honorable mention to Ime Udoka for not fouling when up 3. Granted he might have been scared of this happening 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2bnkR0bWQo
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 05:49 PM)omahen Wrote: Kyrie was phenomenal, unstoppable in the fourth. Defnitely scored way more than his average and he played above expetations because of that. Exum, PJ, DJJ and Maxi performed great in their roles.

Shoutout to Luka, who is supposed to be so difficult to play with, because he doesn't allow other stars to shine next to him. Saw Kyrie is hot and can expoit match-ups and deffered to him all through the fourth. Also passed to Exum for the game-tying shot.

Shoutout also to Kidd, for keeping right players in and creating some smart plays.

This isnt fair to some of Luka's critics, imo.

I think a lot of people are happy with the way the offense is playing these days as opposed to 20 seconds of massaging the defense and dribbling the air out of the ball by one guy.  

It was a real thing...and who would want to play that style of ball?  

Someone could argue that Mavs saw Luka's talent and decided to let him do whatever his first 4 seasons so that he could speed up the learning curve of the NBA...or they could argue that Luka didnt have teammates he could trust so he did it all because he hates losing...or that Mavs tried a heliocentric style of bball catering to a Super Stars talents...

Assuming the current team is well practiced like Rick's offense...I am 100% behind Luka-ball...in the playoffs.  Not 80% of regular season games...its just not a fun product and this is a business based on selling tickets not just winning a trophy. Ask the players if they would rather win a trophy but get paid 1/4 of their current salary.

Assuming all this is real...there seemed to be some comments made in post games 3 years ago by KP that seemed to suggest the team liked how the offense flowed when Luka sat games.   I assume Brunson didnt want to waste some of his talents being second fiddle either.

Anyway...I dont think anyone ever thought Luka is a ball hog.   I think the team tried his offense in past regular seasons and will employee it more in future playoffs.   But I think the days of Luka massaging for 20 seconds every possession for 90% of regular season games is over.
Like Reply
Exum is who I cast my vote 4 because without that one make the game is over and then nothing that happened in the extra period even happens.
Like Reply
[Image: GKm40wAWsAAodAU?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Dante got us to overtime. He gets my vote
Like Reply
https://streamable.com/0gqqb5

Video of Exum's shot! Pure poetry from Followill and Harp
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 02:26 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://streamable.com/0gqqb5

Video of Exum's shot! Pure poetry from Followill and Harp

Harper called the made shot before it fell. Might be his best call ever. I love that Followill is such a homer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 03:32 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Harper called the made shot before it fell. Might be his best call ever. I love that Followill is such a homer.

Harp does that stuff more than I like. BUUUUTTTTT! When it works out, holy schmoly does it hit right.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 03:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Harp does that stuff more than I like. BUUUUTTTTT! When it works out, holy schmoly does it hit right.

This is literally the first time (that I remember, at least) that he actually got it right. But yeah, it worked great this time.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 03:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is literally the first time (that I remember, at least) that he actually got it right. But yeah, it worked great this time.

How can you forget this gem!

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1773927744381845511
Like Reply