Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 78: Houston Rockets (38-39) vs. Dallas Mavericks (47-30)
(04-08-2024, 02:09 AM)omahen Wrote: Just out of curiosity. Is this not a travel in NBA?

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=9&GameID=0022301131&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Ja.%20Green%20Driving%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup%20(2%20PTS)

Looks fine to me:
Collects on left (Gather step), then right, left (so basically a 2 step stop) then pivots, lifts right and shoots before right goes back to ground. 

It's not very clean, but i doubt it would be whistled even on FIBA level. You will often find that if a movement leads to a full stop, the referee will focus on what happens after the stop (in this case a clean pivot and release layup) rather than considering if the movement that leads into the step was 100% clean.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 05:30 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Looks fine to me:
Collects on left (Gather step), then right, left (so basically a 2 step stop) then pivots, lifts right and shoots before right goes back to ground. 

It's not very clean, but i doubt it would be whistled even on FIBA level. You will often find that if a movement leads to a full stop, the referee will focus on what happens after the stop (in this case a clean pivot and release layup) rather than considering if the movement that leads into the step was 100% clean.

I think this is a clear travel in FIBA. He lift the pivot foot taking a whole step before laying it in. As you said, he basically took 3 steps (with a stop in between) after the gather. But, I don't see anyone from Mavs protesting, so looks like clean play in NBA rules.
Like Reply
(04-07-2024, 05:29 PM)MFFL Wrote: Care to retract?
Tiring, @GATA.

Lots of opinion but very little facts.

But even in this digital parallel world, you are not completely anonymous, but at least pseudonymous, so you still can't blurt out every unfounded opinion without consequences. Because just like in real life, you can no longer demand to be taken seriously with this and other childish behavior.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillE's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 12:25 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You ok?
Very good question.

Seems that he's taking anger to the forum. Mainly negative comments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillE's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Why are you all obsessing with a trol and giving him attention?
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 06:20 AM)omahen Wrote: I think this is a clear travel in FIBA. He lift the pivot foot taking a whole step before laying it in. As you said, he basically took 3 steps (with a stop in between) after the gather. But, I don't see anyone from Mavs protesting, so looks like clean play in NBA rules.

No, the last part is clean in FIBA. You may endlessly reposition the foot that you last set down as long as the pivot foot remains in position and in contact with the floor. You also may lift the pivot foot to attempt a shoot or pass, but you have to release the ball before the foot touches the ground again (starting a dribble, you have to release the ball from the hand before you lift the pivot foot).   

https://wabc.fiba.com/manual/level-1/l1-...-pivoting/
regarding steps, it's basically this move: https://youtu.be/tFg99dL-7Ss?t=394

I just confirmed this with my son who is an amateur level ref under FIBA rules (I'm an amateur level coach).
There was a rules interpretation change in FIBA around 2017 that made this legal.
[-] The following 2 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • omahen, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
He traveled when he caught the ball and he traveled when he came to a stop. You are generously calling it “not clean” when reality is he carries the ball 2 steps before putting the second hand on the ball. I grant you that NBA refs tend to give that move to star players. But that doesn’t mean the rules allow it. And they almost never allow you to do a full stop followed by another move, like what happened here. You have to abandon all sense of what a rule is to suggest it isn’t a travel. As far as rules go, once he picks up the ball (which he does with one hand, not two), his pivot foot is whichever foot first touches the floor. Or he may use either as the pivot if both are already on the floor or if both come down simultaneously. Then he can lift the pivot foot to pass or shoot but cannot maintain possession when that foot comes back down.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
We found the right small ball lineup

Maxi
PJ
Exum
Luka
Kyrie

Exum is the glue to that unit. It’s a good lineup to go to when we’re down big. We’ve seen how effective this can be: Luka/Kyrie/Exum vs Luka/Brunson/Din

Exum is obviously about to get 30+ minutes a game in these playoffs. The two man chemistry he’s built with several players plus the elite on ball defense. Not to mention he can dribble the ball without turning it over. The elite 3pt shooting is the cherry on top

Good vibes
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 10:21 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: We found the right small ball lineup

Maxi
PJ
Exum
Luka
Kyrie

Exum is the glue to that unit. It’s a good lineup to go to when we’re down big. We’ve seen how effective this can be: Luka/Kyrie/Exum vs Luka/Brunson/Din

Exum is obviously about to get 30+ minutes a game in these playoffs. The two man chemistry he’s built with several players plus the elite on ball defense. Not to mention he can dribble the ball without turning it over. The elite 3pt shooting is the cherry on top

Good vibes

One of the things about this lineup that makes it better than any small-ball lineup we've had, is how good the rebounding is with this lineup. Every player is at least a decent rebounder and Luka and PJ are borderline exceptional. PJ is a much better rebounder and defender than Powell and has long enough arms to be a presence in the paint. All lineups prior to the mid-season trades were deficient at defensive rebounding and protection in the paint.

This current group players allows for a lot of versatility in how to defend various teams.
Like Reply
Pressure is on Luka.

There is talent around him. Defenders, rebounders, guys that can dribble, pass, shoot...guys that have size.

Luka has guys he can rely on.

This playoffs and next year are a big deal for Luka, imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
Feels like, starting several games back, that Luka finally realizes he has a competent team around him that can take advantage of the attention he draws. He seems happier and enjoying the game again and doesn't seem to feel like he has to take every pressure shot like before when everyone else not named Kyrie was bricking the opportunities. Now it's OK to spend energy on the defense because you don't have to carry the entire load offensively. To me, this mindset, and the wider team participation it engenders, is the key to the current success.

Looks like we'll be in a 4/5 matchup with LACs. Playoff Luka is a terror, but now he has a team that will amplify that terror, so maybe 2024 will see the exorcism of past first round fustrations.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 10:52 AM)Winter Wrote: One of the things about this lineup that makes it better than any small-ball lineup we've had, is how good the rebounding is with this lineup. Every player is at least a decent rebounder and Luka and PJ are borderline exceptional. PJ is a much better rebounder and defender than Powell and has long enough arms to be a presence in the paint. All lineups prior to the mid-season trades were deficient at defensive rebounding and protection in the paint.

This current group players allows for a lot of versatility in how to defend various teams.

Was about to write this - thanks for doing the work. I also like Exum on the boards, he always seems to snatch some boards out of the air. Could be a weapon against big teams as well as long as Kleber and Washington are hitting enough threes to kill a line-up with KAT and Gobert for example.
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 11:43 AM)Knutsen Wrote: Was about to write this - thanks for doing the work. I also like Exum on the boards, he always seems to snatch some boards out of the air. Could be a weapon against big teams as well as long as Kleber and Washington are hitting enough threes to kill a line-up with KAT and Gobert for example.

Probably should have mentioned him in the same sentence as Luka and PJ. Exum was a strong rebounding guard in Europe as well. He's playing his game here, and everything he has now as a player are qualities the Mavs needed - playmaking, rebounding, and generally error free basketball with the occasional 3-point shot. He also takes the ball up the floor allowing Luka some energy-conserving space. We have at times given that job to Josh Green, but he is not as reliable as Exum on a day-to-day basis.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • Knutsen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 11:21 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Feels like, starting several games back, that Luka finally realizes he has a competent team around him that can take advantage of the attention he draws. He seems happier and enjoying the game again and doesn't seem to feel like he has to take every pressure shot like before when everyone else not named Kyrie was bricking the opportunities. Now it's OK to spend energy on the defense because you don't have to carry the entire load offensively. To me, this mindset, and the wider team participation it engenders, is the key to the current success.

Looks like we'll be in a 4/5 matchup with LACs. Playoff Luka is a terror, but now he has a team that will amplify that terror, so maybe 2024 will see the exorcism of past first round fustrations.

POTD
Like Reply
(04-08-2024, 06:37 AM)omahen Wrote: Why are you all obsessing with a trol and giving him attention?

Not a troll.  Was a really great win.  Hated how we started, but I’m very encouraged with PJ
Like Reply
(04-09-2024, 02:35 AM)GATA Wrote: Not a troll.  Was a really great win.  Hated how we started, but I’m very encouraged with PJ

It would be truly refreshing if you stopped pooping on him nonstop throughout the game threads.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply