Poll: What does this team need most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
3D wing / small-ball four - 24-28 MIN - defends Kawhi/LeBron/Tatum-types alongside DFS and Porzingis at five.
40.00%
14 40.00%
Banger starting center - 24-28 MIN - bumps Powell to bench & Kleber to backup four.
14.29%
5 14.29%
Dynamic playmaker - 28+ MIN - replaces THJ as bucket-getter & fulfilts offseason target; a Kemba Walker-type
17.14%
6 17.14%
Continuity - Don't make any changes and let's see what this team can do.
28.57%
10 28.57%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs greatest need
(12-22-2019, 02:13 PM)windjc Wrote: We have the #1 offense because of ONE reason - floor spacing. We get the largest % of open 3 pointers in the league. We also have the lowest % of our shots being blocked in the league.

Who do we get at center than spaces the floor better?
We have the #1 offense WITH DP who does not shoot well from outside. Why do we need to improve the spacing on the floor? Noone has answered that question yet, but it's been asked numerous times in various ways. You get a guy who can set good picks and will roll to the rim, who plays really good defense and that is a large upgrade. Seems someone has been suggesting a guy just like that in Favors for 2 offseasons now. Others have as well.

(12-22-2019, 02:13 PM)windjc Wrote: If Powell could shoot threes, he would be even better at spacing the floor and pick and roll.
But he can't, and we're the #1 offense in the league. Why doesn't that tell you we don't need another floor spacer?
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 02:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 02:13 PM)windjc Wrote: We have the #1 offense because of ONE reason - floor spacing. We get the largest % of open 3 pointers in the league. We also have the lowest % of our shots being blocked in the league.

Who do we get at center than spaces the floor better?
We have the #1 offense WITH DP who does not shoot well from outside. Why do we need to improve the spacing on the floor? Noone has answered that question yet, but it's been asked numerous times in various ways. You get a guy who can set good picks and will roll to the rim, who plays really good defense and that is a large upgrade. Seems someone has been suggesting a guy just like that in Favors for 2 offseasons now. Others have as well.

(12-22-2019, 02:13 PM)windjc Wrote: If Powell could shoot threes, he would be even better at spacing the floor and pick and roll.
But he can't, and we're the #1 offense in the league. Why doesn't that tell you we don't need another floor spacer?
If Favors can do all those things then great!
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 02:09 PM)vg2011 Wrote: I'm afraid any trade we make now will cost us CIS, our sixth man of the year candidate.
Maybe, maybe not. Guys like Favors and RoCo are pretty high character guys, there are more high character guys around the league, we don't have a monopoly on them all. Also, sometimes a little controversy whips guys into shape too. NVE taught us that.

(12-22-2019, 02:33 PM)windjc Wrote: If Favors can do all those things then great!
Favors is an energy guy who sets good picks and has been known to be a decent rim runner and is a really good defender (he is also a bigger, stronger body). There is talk that he might be a casualty of Zion's return. He's on an expiring contract that is over his current value. Trade for him now, and if he is a guy that is working out through 1/2 of a season with us (and into the playoffs), re-sign him for a $12-15M contract. If not, look for sign and trade options or let him go. It wouldn't take too much to get him. Lee and 1 or 2 seconds (he was traded from Utah for cap space and 2 seconds).
Like Reply
Greatest need is a somewhat dirty player / tough player.

A DeShawn Stephenson, Chris Boucher, Patrick Beverly, Bruce Bowen, Draymond Green, Matt Barnes.

Just one dirty little secret to disrupt the flow of other teams if necessary.

Most dirty player on the team is JJ. He would have saved us tonight.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 02:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 02:09 PM)vg2011 Wrote: I'm afraid any trade we make now will cost us CIS, our sixth man of the year candidate.
Maybe, maybe not. Guys like Favors and RoCo are pretty high character guys, there are more high character guys around the league, we don't have a monopoly on them all. Also, sometimes a little controversy whips guys into shape too. NVE taught us that.

(12-22-2019, 02:33 PM)windjc Wrote: If Favors can do all those things then great!
Favors is an energy guy who sets good picks and has been known to be a decent rim runner and is a really good defender (he is also a bigger, stronger body). There is talk that he might be a casualty of Zion's return. He's on an expiring contract that is over his current value. Trade for him now, and if he is a guy that is working out through 1/2 of a season with us (and into the playoffs), re-sign him for a $12-15M contract. If not, look for sign and trade options or let him go. It wouldn't take too much to get him. Lee and 1 or 2 seconds (he was traded from Utah for cap space and 2 seconds).

Favors would be an amazing get. I promise you that Utah misses him. They were in a tough spot bc of his lack of fit with Gobert. In Dallas he would fit perfectly next to KP. Doncic, DFS, KP, Favors and yes THJ is a lineup that I think can contend this year. The beauty of THJ is that if he's not hot Rick keeps his minutes in the 20's and goes more to Curry and/or Brunson. I have yet to see any link of the Mavs to Favors (even since last summer) and I have no idea why. Mavs like hybrid 4/5's and Favors is perfect in that role alongside KP bc he plays 5 on offense and can guard 4's infinitely better than Powell.

(12-22-2019, 07:20 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Greatest need is a somewhat dirty player / tough player.

A DeShawn Stephenson, Chris Boucher, Patrick Beverly, Bruce Bowen, Draymond Green, Matt Barnes.

Just one dirty little secret to disrupt the flow of other teams if necessary.

Most dirty player on the team is JJ. He would have saved us tonight.

I don't know if Iggy is dirty or not but he would have saved us last night and in many other situations. You can throw him on the other team's best player for 15 min a night and he would make their life extremely difficult. Even at his current age I promise that LeBron or Paul George or any star is excited to see Iguodala out there.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 07:20 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: DeShawn Stephenson, Chris Boucher, Patrick Beverly, Bruce Bowen, Draymond Green, Matt Barnes.

Not calling you out but I love how I had never heard of Boucher until yesterday and now he's coveted along with some of the toughest hard-nose defenders / role players of the last decade. 

Socially inept water boy in Louisiana one day and MVP the next. Just wow.

Bouche: "So that's what opening up a can of whoop-ass feels like."

Coach: "Son, you just opened up a whole case of whoop-ass."
Like Reply
(12-23-2019, 10:26 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 07:20 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: DeShawn Stephenson, Chris Boucher, Patrick Beverly, Bruce Bowen, Draymond Green, Matt Barnes.

Not calling you out but I love how I had never heard of Boucher until yesterday and now he's coveted along with some of the toughest hard-nose defenders / role players of the last decade. 

Socially inept water boy in Louisiana one day and MVP the next. Just wow.

Bouche: "So that's what opening up a can of whoop-ass feels like."

Coach: "Son, you just opened up a whole case of whoop-ass."

Boucher played like that in the first game this season against us as well, found him annoying to play against.

Richaun Holmes is also in that mold but more hustling. Boucher has this nasty jjb annoying style.

Just got on my nerves in the first game already.

Apparently that guy is special having won MVP and Defensive Player of the Year in a single G-League Season.

You can add Tony Allen, Rondae-Holllis Jefferson, Marcus Smart as well if you want. The mold is clear I think.
Like Reply
So a 3D player like Roco
A tough guy big like Steven Adams
and a play maker like Kemba. (Honestly if Curry was more aggressive and could slash better he'd be perfect) He is not atm so who else outside of Kemba fits this who may actually be available? Roco might be up for trade at the deadline and OKC has stated SA is available even though that might change as they continue to win.

Id love Roco over Dodo and even though SA doesn't stretch the floor much I've always been a big fan of his even since he worked out for us pre draft so I'd like to see that move happen. Just not sure on who else would be a good creator next to Doncic that wouldn't be a defensive liability. How's Bogdonavic's defense look?

Continuity is important right now cause we are running the most efficient offense in basketball history. Doesn't mean we couldn't or wouldn't take upgrades offensively but we do need defense more so I definitely do not want to see us get worse defensively to add more offense. I do not want to be the Rockets.

Could we lose our spacing with Maxi/Powell and still be as great offensively while adding much needed defense with SA? Not sure how that would pan out, but definitely some good conversation pieces here
Like Reply