Poll: Who deserves tonight's Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Derrick Jones, JR: 14pts, 5 rbs, +13, some nice hustle plays
0%
0 0%
PJ Washington JR: 19pts, 8rb, +15, some nice defense
82.61%
19 82.61%
Daniel Gafford: 6pts, 3rbs, +2
0%
0 0%
Kyrie Irving: 26pts, 5rbs, +7, some timely scoring
0%
0 0%
Luka Doncic: 25pts, 12rbs, 8ast, +21, big three-point barrage to pull away in the 3rd
4.35%
1 4.35%
Dante Exum: 5rbs, -3
0%
0 0%
Tim Hardaway JR: 8pts, 2rbs, 3ast, +/-0
0%
0 0%
Maxi Kleber: 7pts, 6rbs, +3, some exceptional defense
8.70%
2 8.70%
Dwight Powell: +5, somehow
4.35%
1 4.35%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 76 Dirkie Thread PJAIL
Who elevated their game to help the Mavericks win?
Like Reply
Not a lot of great play tonight, and yet a pretty decisive victory. That's a good sign.

PJ Washington was great tonight on both ends and in transition. He gets my vote.
Like Reply
I would give it to PJ too. Although Maxi and Jones deserve props too. In an off offensive night, Mavs would have been in trouble if they were without either.

Crazy I didn’t consider the guy who got another triple double and was plus 21 for the game. His fourth was not great though. Early season Mavs team would have had trouble winning that with the offense drying up
Like Reply
The dreaded first game back after a long road trip was quite evident in the first quarter. Then the Mavs started rolling a bit in the second quarter. Atlanta is not an easy team to beat if you don't put them away early. 4 Mavs in double figures versus 5 for the Hawks. I would say it's a minor miracle the Mavs won. The biggest reason is because the Mavs were willing to fight in the mud. But they don't have to do that. We'll see what happens in the next game.

P.J. Washington, Maxi, and Exum giving great defense/ intangibles. I guess we could add DJJ to that list. Offense from P.J., DJJ, and our savant twins.

I'm giving my Dirkie to Maxie for exceptional defense.
Like Reply
This team looks tired. Everyone had heavy legs. Luka looked frustrated the whole game. No one could really shoot besides PJ. These refs were horrible.

Yet despite all of that the Mavs found a way to pull away. And they pulled away in a pretty decisive fashion. I mean Luka didn't even play in the 1st quarter where he scored 0 points, turned it over I'm pretty sure 3 times.

Gafford had probably his worst game as a Mav. This is coming off of another bad game previously against the Warriors. I think between the travel, the fact Lively is out, and just general ebb and flow, he's pooped. Hopefully he can recuperate and get back to his former self because now that Lively is out we need him bad.

Luka is like a wrecking ball. He is going to knock down whatever is in his way regardless if the game prefers a surgical approach. I mean he will force his way to 30 from sheer force, and it's remarkable he can do it. Tonight was one of those nights. He is definitely still playing through stuff. He also looks tired. He also was incredibly frustrated by the refs (and for good reason). But Luka still destroyed the Hawks in the 3rd and made sure the Mavs had a big lead. Good game from him.

Now speaking of a surgical approach, Kyrie Irving was a master tonight. He picked his spots basically right up until the 4th quarter. He absolutely destroyed the Hawks. He might've only had 26 points but the timing of them were so needed. He settled everyone down after a rough 1st quarter and the Mavs found their groove.

Maxi freaking Kleber had his best game in a month tonight. Offensively he had a solid 3. He found a way to create a shot off the dribble. But his defense was stifling. He alone probably prevented 12 points at the rim tonight. He absolutely embarrassed every single Hawk player that dared to go at him. I was going to vote him Dirkie if it was for....

PJ!!! In a game where no one could seemingly find a rhythm offensively, it was PJ to the rescue. His early 3s in the 1st kept the Mavs connected and not down 12 going into the 2nd. His defense throughout the game was also just suffocating. So much so that even Followill commentated that the duo of him and Maxi made life hell for the Hawk players. But his 3pt shooting really was a story of tonight. Great game from him and I love to see that he's still shooting it. Dirkie for PJ!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, soog
Like Reply
Maxi was exceptional. Gaff getting in foul trouble just meant more defensive dominance from Maxi. But PJ was just as good on that end, plus 5 three pointers, 8 rebounds, 3 assists. He’s starting to look Matrixy. That’s Dirkieworthy.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
Also doesn't this game put to rest any Dejounte Murray talk?

Dude was outplayed through and through by almost every single starter the Mavs ran out. 17 shots for 16 points. More than a shot a point. Seems like a common occurrence for the dude.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, The Jom
Like Reply
https://x.com/noahweber00/status/1776066325720256652

Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
Kyrie Irving made sure to say hi to Dirk Nowitzki as he headed to the locker room after the Dallas Mavericks’ 109-95 win over the Atlanta Hawks.
Like Reply
https://x.com/sixfivelando/status/177607...48464?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

Landon Thomas (@sixfivelando)
PJ Washington on clinching postseason for the first time in his NBA career:

“Feels great. I mean I just can’t wait, I’ve been talking about it the whole time since I’ve been here.”
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
Strange but true stat of the night: Atlanta held Luka Doncic scoreless in two of the eight quarters they faced him this season. He scored 98 points in the other six quarters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(04-04-2024, 09:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This team looks tired. Everyone had heavy legs. Luka looked frustrated the whole game. No one could really shoot besides PJ. These refs were horrible.

Yet despite all of that the Mavs found a way to pull away. And they pulled away in a pretty decisive fashion. I mean Luka didn't even play in the 1st quarter where he scored 0 points, turned it over I'm pretty sure 3 times.

Gafford had probably his worst game as a Mav. This is coming off of another bad game previously against the Warriors. I think between the travel, the fact Lively is out, and just general ebb and flow, he's pooped. Hopefully he can recuperate and get back to his former self because now that Lively is out we need him bad.

Luka is like a wrecking ball. He is going to knock down whatever is in his way regardless if the game prefers a surgical approach. I mean he will force his way to 30 from sheer force, and it's remarkable he can do it. Tonight was one of those nights. He is definitely still playing through stuff. He also looks tired. He also was incredibly frustrated by the refs (and for good reason). But Luka still destroyed the Hawks in the 3rd and made sure the Mavs had a big lead. Good game from him.

Now speaking of a surgical approach, Kyrie Irving was a master tonight. He picked his spots basically right up until the 4th quarter. He absolutely destroyed the Hawks. He might've only had 26 points but the timing of them were so needed. He settled everyone down after a rough 1st quarter and the Mavs found their groove.

Maxi freaking Kleber had his best game in a month tonight. Offensively he had a solid 3. He found a way to create a shot off the dribble. But his defense was stifling. He alone probably prevented 12 points at the rim tonight. He absolutely embarrassed every single Hawk player that dared to go at him. I was going to vote him Dirkie if it was for....

PJ!!! In a game where no one could seemingly find a rhythm offensively, it was PJ to the rescue. His early 3s in the 1st kept the Mavs connected and not down 12 going into the 2nd. His defense throughout the game was also just suffocating. So much so that even Followill commentated that the duo of him and Maxi made life hell for the Hawk players. But his 3pt shooting really was a story of tonight. Great game from him and I love to see that he's still shooting it. Dirkie for PJ!

Great write up. On thing I noticed on Gafford - GSW prioritized taking him out of the game. They bumped him off his route when he would roll to the basket off of screens and they ALWAYS had 1 to 2 bodies on him the second a shot went up. I think some of the reason his production is dropping is that he is becoming a focal point of opponents’ game plans.

This just means guys like Washington and DJJ will have more opportunity and have to keep stepping up
[-] The following 4 users Like soog's post:
  • Lukedoncic, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, sterlingmallory, The Jom
Like Reply
(04-04-2024, 10:52 PM)soog Wrote: Great write up. On thing I noticed on Gafford - GSW prioritized taking him out of the game. They bumped him off his route when he would roll to the basket off of screens and they ALWAYS had 1 to 2 bodies on him the second a shot went up. I think some of the reason his production is dropping is that he is becoming a focal point of opponents’ game plans.

This just means guys like Washington and DJJ will have more opportunity and have to keep stepping up

That is absolutely what’s happening. I don’t know if it’s so much about Gafford, but taking the roller away from Luka happens every year around this time. They used to do the same thing to Dwight Powell. And, you are absolutely correct that the remedy for this is for the shooters to actually hit shots.
Like Reply
(04-04-2024, 09:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This team looks tired. Everyone had heavy legs. Luka looked frustrated the whole game. No one could really shoot besides PJ. These refs were horrible.

Nice post.  The only thing I disagree with was "Gafford had probably his worst game as a Mav".   It certainly wasn't the best and he lacked the counting stats, but I think his defense was impactful with the others.  He impacted at least 5 shots at the rim.   I thought he was fine...albeit not a memorable game.
Like Reply
Gafford and PJ will both have to adjust to playoff basketball. Getting hit that hard with no whistle (and getting away with hard hits too) isn’t learned/adjusted to in one game. That’s one reason I’m happy about the whistle swallowing that’s happening now. Those guys will have some feel for it before the games start really counting.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(04-05-2024, 06:54 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That is absolutely what’s happening. I don’t know if it’s so much about Gafford, but taking the roller away from Luka happens every year around this time. They used to do the same thing to Dwight Powell. And, you are absolutely correct that the remedy for this is for the shooters to actually hit shots.

This will be crucial. Teams like Minnesota and Denver will park their center "in the middle of the paint" daring guys like Exum, DJJ or PJ to shoot. Wings will guard the center and they will switch every screen. Basically what Mavs were doing to Giddey. Who cares if he hits 3 or 4 threes in a game, if you totally kill the flow of offense. The other key is to collect defensive rebounds after misses.

Counter strategy is of course to hit those shots and/or aggresive offensive rebounding.

Mavs fortunately have other possibilities. Even if paint will be packed, Luka and Kyrie are great further away from the basket. So before double teams come. If they will hit those shots, teams will have to spread their defenses and then the other guys will have way more room to operate.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
We have had some frustratingly bad 3 point shooting games from the non Luka and Kyrie guys at times so my vote goes to PJ for getting hot tonight
Like Reply
It’s good that Maxi got some votes. He elevated his game too but PJ is totally proving his value and earning everyone’s respect.
Like Reply