Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 72: Dallas Mavericks (42-29) vs. Sacramento Kings (42-29)
Hate to say this here, but sure seems to me Coach Kidd has this team peaking about the right time. And that’s some quality defense these fellas are playing.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 6 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, MFFL, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 10:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I swear I typed the above post five seconds before the announcer said it.

I do that all the time so I’m sure you did. My wife just laughs she is so used to it. Into the game you are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Damn proud of these Mavs. Took care of business. Unfortunately, they have to do it again in three nights.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • donzingis38, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 11:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Damn proud of these Mavs. Took care of business. Unfortunately, they have to do it again in two nights.

Yes. 

The glass is definitely half empty.
Like Reply
holy crap. 4th seed is possible
[-] The following 1 user Likes donzingis38's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
That third quarter was beautiful.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 11:15 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Yes. 

The glass is definitely half empty.

Getting beaten by the Kings on Thursday after this game would be just fine with you. Got it.
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 11:19 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: That third quarter was beautiful.

Thanks to that guy they drafted who almost made you quit being a fan!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 10:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sacramento is almost guaranteed to make a run, unfortunately. That’s just how the league works.

On the other hand, they are on a back to back, too, so maybe they will give up.

Narrator voice

"Sacramento did in fact give up"
[-] The following 4 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, The Jom
Like Reply
I don't like THJ very much, but he earned the Dirkie tonight - unless it was PJ.
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 11:23 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I don't like THJ very much, but he earned the Dirkie tonight - unless it was PJ.

Man PJ was a MONSTER tonight. But THJ's 12 points in a row...
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 11:23 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I don't like THJ very much, but he earned the Dirkie tonight - unless it was PJ.

14 shots in 26 minutes is about the right rate for him. And when he’s hot, there’s no defense he can’t score against. That makes him a tool you want on your team for the playoffs.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Pretty stunning what having heavy minute players that have fundamental basketball skills can do for a team.

Just a completely different team than last 3 or 4 years and a much more enjoyable product to view.

Im curious what Luka can do with this squad in Playoffs. Rick's teams might have been more disciplined and well coached that they were able to overcome talent deficiencies(though had players with fit).

League has some good teams...but none have a Luka but Mavs. He has some legit decent players around him...I want to see what he can do with these guys. Tells us a lot about the near future for Mavs, imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Next ten games - Atlanta, Charlotte, and Detroit should be gimmes. The two GSW games and Miami should be very doable. That leaves the Kings, the Thunder (who might be jockeying for position and rest starters in the last game), and the two Rockets games, which will honestly be the toughest.

Would be nice to finish on a 15-game win streak, but 8-2 or 9-1 would be very pleasing.
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 11:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Next ten games - Atlanta, Charlotte, and Detroit should be gimmes. The two GSW games and Miami should be very doable. That leaves the Kings, the Thunder (who might be jockeying for position and rest starters in the last game), and the two Rockets games, which will honestly be the toughest.

Would be nice to finish on a 15-game win streak, but 8-2 or 9-1 would be very pleasing.

I hear ya, Scotty…..But let’s take care of Kings on Friday (which is our most important game of the season 1-B), and then we can talk about the rest of our doable schedule.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
It changes everything when we can play physical and control the paint on both ends. Gafford and Lively slamming down. Offensive rebounds. The denials at the rim

All of it combines to demoralize our opponent. Couple that with the best backcourt in the NBA and we’ve seen how successful we can be. The 3’s falling like they were tonight makes us unstoppable

PJ with 13 boards and put Sabonis and Murray in PJail every opportunity he got. We ran several plays for PJ tonight. He’s shooting just fine. That running floater in the paint he has is already a staple of the mavs offense. It’s really exciting that he’s embraced this special “Aaron Gordon” position
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • rocky164, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Phenomenal game when it mattered most. Excellent defense and shooting made all the difference. Stars delivered on difficult shots and the rest capitalized on more open ones. Everyone delivered. Defensively they had a little trouble navigating some of Sabonis screens, but still an awesome performance. Statement win that needs to be backed up on Friday.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
What we have all been waiting for. Finally getting it all together. Defense, rebounding, shooting. Best game of the season.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(03-27-2024, 12:37 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: It changes everything when we can play physical and control the paint on both ends. Gafford and Lively slamming down. Offensive rebounds. The denials at the rim

All of it combines to demoralize our opponent. Couple that with the best backcourt in the NBA and we’ve seen how successful we can be. The 3’s falling like they were tonight makes us unstoppable

PJ with 13 boards and put Sabonis and Murray in PJail every opportunity he got. We ran several plays for PJ tonight. He’s shooting just fine. That running floater in the paint he has is already a staple of the mavs offense. It’s really exciting that he’s embraced this special “Aaron Gordon” position

Having an elite rim runner and finisher available for 48 minutes per game has made the Mavericks a much better team.  I don't love that Lively has had his minutes cut somewhat but the Gafford starting gambit is working so well that it obviously has to continue.  It's just amazing to have two such effective centers.  

PJ Washington's defense is obviously the other factor that has elevated our ceiling this year.  I couldn't be more impressed with what he does for us defensively.  

Also, Dante Exum being an excellent 3rd guard is another revelation.  

It's all good news for the Mavericks right now.  If PJ and THJ are hitting their 3 point shots, we can beat anybody in the West in the playoffs.  The Celtics might be another matter.  

Congratulations to Jason Kidd as well for figuring some things out and creating a winning formula.  His job security looks so much better than it did 3 weeks ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-27-2024, 01:26 AM)omahen Wrote: Statement win that needs to be backed up on Friday.

That statement win will make Friday's game EXTREMELY difficult. The Kings will be playing extra hard to get revenge after being humiliated on their home court.
Like Reply