Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 117, 76ers 98
Luka-Less Mavs Demolish Sixers in Philadelphia
Second home loss of season has Philly fans booing their team. 

Game Story and Analytics

Luka was still out with his ankle issue. Seth and Wright were listed as questionable, with a sore back and a fractured finger, respectively, but both were able to play. Philly had a full crew. 

The Sixers began the game by building an 8-point lead, but lost it for good to a Hardaway three at the 3:37 mark in the first quarter. The Mavs accumulated a 17-point advantage in the second, but Philly went on a run in the last three minutes of the period to close out the half six points down. The Mavericks slowly built up to a double-digit lead during the third, and went into the fourth with an 11-point edge. Dallas remained in control the entire fourth quarter. 

On the statistical side, the Sixers' 7-shot advantage in field goal attempts was outweighed by the Mavs' superior three-point shooting (42%-29%) and 5-point margin in made free throws. They were +12 on points from threes, +5 on points from free throws, and +2 on points from twos. The visiting Mavs held their own on the glass against the #1 rebounding team in the league. Dallas also held the City of Brotherly Love to 38 PIP, while scoring 48 of their own. 

The Sixers lost their last game to the Heat when Spoelstra switched to a zone defense. Rick Carlisle, never one to miss a trick, took note. He said after the game that he knew the team would have to resort to the zone sooner or later, because the matchup was so unfavorable to the Mavs. He broke it out four minutes in, to notable success. Brett Brown, in his postgame presser, said he thought his team had been confused and depressed by the zone, and he needs to get them more ready to play against this type of defense. Kudos to Carlisle for his strategy, and for the team for executing!

Players

Porzingis (37 min).  KP had a MONSTER game, being the team's second-leading scorer with 22 points on respectable 10-19 shooting. He added a career-high 18 rebounds, a steal, 3 massive blocks, and numerous shot-altering moves. In Luka's absence, he put the team on his shoulders, and was aggressive on the offensive end, driving hard to the basket and confidently taking advantage of his opportunities. In New York, KP also stuffed the stat sheet, but his team was terrible. Applying his considerable abilities in Carlisle's system has enabled him to be a player who makes his teammates better, a key attribute of a superstar. I feel a bit ridiculous continuing to say that a game was KP's best as a Mav, but I think I have to do it again, as Porzee's development takes a rocketing trajectory. 

Rick described KP's game as "spectacular," including rebounding, rim protection, putting points on the board, and making the system work. With Luka out, the players are operating more off ball movement and player movement, Zinger is acquiring a good feel for it, and his teammates are proving diligent about finding him. 

Hardaway (32 min).  Hardaway was brilliant in stretches here, stepping up to help fill Luka's huge scoring shoes. Mark Followill described Tim's first quarter as "volcanic," when he went off for 19 points and was unstoppable. He resumed putting points up later in the game and ended as the team's leading scorer with 27 points, including 7-11 3PTAs. When he is on a hot streak, he's a veritable scoring tornado!

Brunson (25 minutes).  Jalen shared point guard duties about equally with Wright, and competently managed the game. He recorded 11 points (5-9) and 7 assists, with only 2 turnovers. Carlisle's offensive system is predicated on excellent point guard play, and the sophomore appears to be stepping up. 

Maxi.  Maxi had 10 points and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes. Perhaps most exciting was watching him battle with Joel Embiid. Three times, he took the Cameroonian off the dribble, and scored! Particularly satisfying was Maximus stuffing the basket in Embiid's face. Yay! Ced noted that Kleber's superior footwork enabled him to get around Embiid, and opined that Philly's center is not used to guarding other big men who take him on in that way. Go Maxi! 

BenchSeth went on a little scoring burst later in the game, registering all of his 11 points in the second half. The Accountant made an 18-minute appearance, and put up 8 points, including a dramatic three off a Wright steal to beat the first-quarter buzzer. Boban was sighted for 5 minutes, and the Sixers fans gave their former player a warm ovation. 

Embiid.  Joel burned the Mavs with 33 points and 17 boards, but looked out of sorts, notwithstanding. Harp called him out for not making his teammates more effective. At the post-game interview, his body language was dispirited, as he seemed bewildered at why his team is losing, and felt they were "playing scared."

Random Observations

The home fans were none too pleased with their team's limp displays against Dallas, booing them off the floor at a few junctures, and leaving early. Heh-heh-heh. 

Former Mavs Michael Finley and Shawn Marion were nominated to the Naismith Hall of Fame today. Congratulations, Fin and Matrix!

Remarks

Coach. Carlisle was extremely proud of his side. He thought a key to the game was to come out with force, and he loved the team's great start. The team played together very well, and displayed intelligence and communication skills in executing the zone defense. He liked the level of aggression throughout the game. Thought "virtually all" of his squad played well. Carlisle tends to be stingy with praise, so this was an effusive night from him.

My impressions. This was such an exciting game to watch. Porzingis' re-emergence as a star. The role players communicating and defending so well. Different players stepping up at different points in the game. Ferocious effort. Opponent-exhausting pace. Without Luka. So much confidence against one of the East's best-performing teams!

Analysts.  Dana and Ced's takeaway:  This Mavericks team is for real!

Next.  Toronto in Canada on Sunday afternoon. Toronto is one of the East's giants, but has been decimated by injuries, with Gasol, Siakam, and Powell expected to be out for them. Luka is not expected to play.  

On a personal front, I will have family in for the holidays through the rest of the year. I am not sure how much Mavs I will be able to watch or write about during that time. So I may or may not be able to do some or any of the postgame reports. I'll do the best I can. Meantime, hope everyone has a very happy holiday season! 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 01:42 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: .  

On a personal front, I will have family in for the holidays through the rest of the year. I am not sure how much Mavs I will be able to watch or write about during that time. So I may or may not be able to do some or any of the postgame reports. I'll do the best I can. Meantime, hope everyone has a very happy holiday season! 

Go Mavs!
No worries...we are blessed to be reading your recaps...enjoy your holidays ML...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Crazy to think Luka going down might have been a good thing for us. The whole team is becoming stronger especially KP. It seemed at times that Luka was 1v9 out there before, but I bet when he comes back that will be a thing of the past.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/120...6423489536
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 01:42 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: With Luka out, the players are operating more off ball movement and player movement

This! Luka is great and makes his teammates better, but sometimes there is too much "let's just stand and watch Luka do some magic". As if they are affraid to take the initiative. I am quite sure Luka has no problem with sharing the touches, as long as they are effective. And they prove they can be.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 01:42 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Luka-Less Mavs Demolish Sixers in Philadelphia
Second home loss of season has Philly fans booing their team.

Game Story and Analytics

The Sixers lost their last game to the Heat when Spoelstra switched to a zone defense. Rick Carlisle, never one to miss a trick, took note. He said after the game that he knew the team would have to resort to the zone sooner or later, because the matchup was so unfavorable to the Mavs. He broke it out four minutes in, to notable success. Brett Brown, in his postgame presser, said he thought his team had been confused and depressed by the zone, and he needs to get them more ready to play against this type of defense. Kudos to Carlisle for his strategy, and for the team for executing!

Players

Porzingis (37 min). KP had a MONSTER game, ...
Hardaway (32 min). Hardaway was brilliant in stretches here, stepping up to help fill Luka's huge scoring shoes. Mark Followill described Tim's first quarter as "volcanic," when he went off for 19 points and was unstoppable. He resumed putting points up later in the game and ended as the team's leading scorer with 27 points, including 7-11 3PTAs. When he is on a hot streak, he's a veritable scoring tornado!

Embiid. Joel burned the Mavs with 33 points and 17 boards, but looked out of sorts, notwithstanding. Harp called him out for not making his teammates more effective. At the post-game interview, his body language was dispirited, as he seemed bewildered at why his team is losing, and felt they were "playing scared."

Random Observations

The home fans were none too pleased with their team's limp displays against Dallas, booing them off the floor at a few junctures, and leaving early. Heh-heh-heh.

Former Mavs Michael Finley and Shawn Marion were nominated to the Naismith Hall of Fame today. Congratulations, Fin and Matrix!

Remarks

Analysts. Dana and Ced's takeaway: This Mavericks team is for real!

Next. Toronto in Canada on Sunday afternoon. Toronto is one of the East's giants, but has been decimated by injuries, with Gasol, Siakam, and Powell expected to be out for them. Luka is not expected to play.

On a personal front, I will have family in for the holidays through the rest of the year. I am not sure how much Mavs I will be able to watch or write about during that time. So I may or may not be able to do some or any of the postgame reports. I'll do the best I can. Meantime, hope everyone has a very happy holiday season!

Go Mavs!

Yeah, its really good times to see the return of KP to this level before even getting to the 1/2 way mark of his first season back.
Silver lining on the Luka injury for sure. 

Brett Brown, in his postgame presser, said he thought his team had been confused and depressed by the zone, and he needs to get them more ready to play against this type of defense. Kudos to Carlisle for his strategy, and for the team for executing!
This is pretty telling.  Everyone and their mom knew after the Heat used the zone to dismantle the Sixers last game that Rick Carlisle coming to town was going to be round 2.  His team wasn't ready for it?  Brown's processing days may be numbered ...

Can't forget THJ here.  Such a streaky shooter, but man, when he's on he can just take over and put your team into cruise control after his scoring outburst.  He's making his coach look really smart, for sticking with him even after bad shooting games. 

Good times in Mavs land! 
Great work Mavsluvr!  Enjoy a merry Christmas and happy 2020.
Like Reply
As always, Great stuff Mavsluvr!
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 02:29 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Crazy to think Luka going down might have been a good thing for us. The whole team is becoming stronger especially KP. It seemed at times that Luka was 1v9 out there before, but I bet when he comes back that will be a thing of the past.

So exciting to think about.
Like Reply
Slurr, thanks again! If you start the thread (or if someone does), we can step up and fill in.

My take:

Mavs are starting to play some playoff-style basketball.

1. Porzingis can bang a little! He got hit a lot without getting a single free throw last night. Hardly a surprise in this rigged league. What is surprising is how he responded—amping up the power and taking it to em. Just one game after letting Jaylen Brown repeatedly take his cookies, Kristaps mans up and becomes a cookie taker. That is huge, Mavs fans. And President Zelensky loves his ass.

2. Is it to the point yet at which we all have to consider whether Tim Hardaway, Jr. might be worth that $18 million/year deal? Maybe not quite yet, but let’s admit that date appears to be on the horizon. It’s no longer a resurgent game or week or even month. Neither is it merely taking advantage of balling with Luka. Or poor defenses. Dude is simply killing it. Last night was his 7th game of 20+ points. And he almost got there in the 1st quarter—erupting like a New Zealand tourist attraction. (Too soon?) Meanwhile, Junior’s defensive contributions continue to impress too. Can’t see why, at this point, we’d have any interest in trading him. (Did I just say that?)

3. That bench defense! Wow! Maxi and Delon are just smothering people, jumping passing lanes, and wreaking havoc. I am not going to tire of seeing them defend. Might hafta cheer for giving up offensive boards just so I can see another stop.

Last time I enjoyed a game this much, it ended with a trophy presentation.
Like Reply
I still think Powell as a starter is a problem. He had a nice game but overall his lack of defense is a problem not to mention defenses do not respect his shot. If we could get a big that plays defense and can hit 3s around league average then we'd have a playoff roster. Maxi basically does this but coach doesn't want to start him and even if he did we'd probably still need one more big.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 06:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I still think Powell as a starter is a problem. He had a nice game but overall his lack of defense is a problem not to mention defenses do not respect his shot. If we could get a big that plays defense and can hit 3s around league average then we'd have a playoff roster. Maxi basically does this but coach doesn't want to start him and even if he did we'd probably still need one more big.

Adams, Valanciunas, Favors, Thompson, Cody Zeller... if you can get one of those for relatively cheap (depending on the player - they have different trade price tags) - that would be a good thing.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 06:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 06:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I still think Powell as a starter is a problem. He had a nice game but overall his lack of defense is a problem not to mention defenses do not respect his shot. If we could get a big that plays defense and can hit 3s around league average then we'd have a playoff roster. Maxi basically does this but coach doesn't want to start him and even if he did we'd probably still need one more big.

Adams, Valanciunas, Favors, Thompson, Cody Zeller... if you can get one of those for relatively cheap (depending on the player - they have different trade price tags) - that would be a good thing.

Ya I haven't heard any news that Valanciunas or Adams are being shopped. I could see Favors getting moved since he is expiring. He is my favorite guy to go after. Thompson would be a good get. I am not sure the Mavs want the drama associated with him but he has come up big in the playoffs before. I haven't watched much Zeller but he might be good if Hornets just want off his money. Mavs would also benefit from having another large expiring deal in 2020. Dieng is a guy that the Wolves might give you a 1 to take his deal.
Like Reply