Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 68: Denver Nuggets (47-20) vs. Dallas Mavericks (38-29)
(03-17-2024, 05:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Ignoring Kyrie and Luka no Mavs player made a shot outside the paint. The big question going forward is if they can ever get it all together. We have seen games with great offense. Games like todays with great hustle and defense. Just need league average shooting from PJ, Maxi and DJJ.

That's the 64 dollar question. Consistent outside shooting from others besides Luka and Kyrie. At this point, I'd have to say thats a weakness teams are going to exploit
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 05:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Ignoring Kyrie and Luka no Mavs player made a shot outside the paint. The big question going forward is if they can ever get it all together. We have seen games with great offense. Games like todays with great hustle and defense. Just need league average shooting from PJ, Maxi and DJJ.

That's why I'm staying on the Josh Green is a starter bandwagon once he's healthy.
[-] The following 4 users Like loki's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
The scorekeeper is a fan of Kleber too...they really credited him with the assist on the Kyrie shot  Big Grin
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 05:11 PM)loki Wrote: That's why I'm staying on the Josh Green is a starter bandwagon once he's healthy.

Or at least a closer, probably.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
59-37 advantage on the boards.

When was the last time Dal had that kind of advantage?

Despite shooting 42% overall, and 26% from three, they won.
[-] The following 7 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41, Ghost of Podkolzin, MFFL, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
22 points, 14 rebounds on 11 for 15 shooting in 47 minutes for Deriel Livford. Not bad.

I watched all the plays of Lively at Duke. You could never have sold me that as a rookie (or maybe ever) that he would eurostep on a fast break for a dunk.

The end of game offense is troubling. The lineup was not good, but the movement stopped. Denver is just a machine and got good looks late. Mavs relied on one one one. What happened to that end of game play against the Lakers at the AAC. Get Luka at the elbow and let me get to work. Maybe we don't have the shooters.

The PF shooting is growing more and more concerning. We need them to shoot better or at least make 1.

Great win. Evens out the Clev shot a tad.
[-] The following 6 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, Ghost of Podkolzin, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
Huge victory and a very hard fought game. Lukai delivered on offense (even if not hugely efficient) and had all 5 Mavs steals. Mavs shot 25 % from three while Denver was almost 43 %, yet Mavs hustle prevailed. Got to stay focused in the crucial next five games.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 05:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Let’s give Kidd his credit.  Someone had to call the running 18 foot lefty hook by Kyrie.  Great play call

What he called was let his great players decide which is what he often calls 

Having 2 superb players makes that work fairly often. Murray make/miss. Luka and Kyrie make/make. We win.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 04:24 PM)Smitty Wrote: Mavs may not win this but I remember a time when the Mavs shoot under 40% from 3 and they lose. I prefer this Mavs team.

Nuggets wind up hitting 42% from 3 and we only hit 25%. Before the trade there was zero way we won this game.
[-] The following 6 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 05:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Let’s give Kidd his credit.  Someone had to call the running 18 foot lefty hook by Kyrie.  Great play call

Outstanding Win...  I hope they are able to reach the 6th seed and do something in the playoffs.

However, I still would like to have Kidd replaced this summer.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 05:18 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: 59-37 advantage on the boards.

When was the last time Dal had that kind of advantage?

Despite shooting 42% overall, and 26% from three, they won.

Against one of the biggest and most physical teams in the league, that‘s really astounding.
[-] The following 3 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
The rebounding and defense we now have post-changes raises the floor on a game to game basis. It allows us to not be so reliant on our 3’s falling. The entire team is responding well to this change in style

Kidd deserves credit. Numbers don’t lie. We’ve been terrific after timeouts and in clutch games. Getting a more physical starting 5 out there. Increasing minutes for Exum, Gafford and Jones. Decreasing minutes for Hardaway and Maxi (plus Powell not playing). They were feeling the heat. The right changes were made. That’s a good result. Maybe he does belong and we just don’t have the full picture(i.e. GWill being locker room cancer)

I didn’t like the super big lineup at the end with Gafford and Maxi. Maybe that could work in certain scenarios, but it’s not likely. I think the winning solution is a 3 headed monster at the 5. You have Gafford the traditional drop PnR big. Maxi the “small ball” switchable big. And Lively the unicorn who will eventually be able to do it all (we will see). PJ + Maxi is definitely a winning 4/5 combo. Gafford + Maxi is not. I do think that Lively + Maxi could be a winning combo one day

The 3 point shooting is a concern, but is it really that big of a deal if we’re winning all these games without it? I think we’re seeing a blueprint where we can make a deep run with simply being around league average. The hyper efficient PnR, put backs and lob plays are able to keep us in a game like today when we aren’t shooting well……….Hardaway losing minutes is part of this. It’s probably best to have only two main volume 3pt shooters that are Kyrie and Luka. Instead of a 3rd guy that’s streaky, i like the team approach. Feed the hot hand and the open man. PJ is the X factor. Exum has been good all year and will be fine once in a good groove after the injury. Jones has been better lately. Maxi will always be streaky(remember the end of season 0-for streak that ended with his hot shooting playing a big role in the WCF run?)

Things are clicking at the right time. Sky is the limit if we snap out of that bipolar-ness that’s been plaguing us all year
[-] The following 5 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • audiosway, MFFL, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 08:05 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Kidd deserves credit. Numbers don’t lie. We’ve been terrific after timeouts and in clutch games. Getting a more physical starting 5 out there. Increasing minutes for Exum, Gafford and Jones. Decreasing minutes for Hardaway and Maxi (plus Powell not playing). They were feeling the heat. The right changes were made. That’s a good result. Maybe he does belong and we just don’t have the full picture(i.e. GWill being locker room cancer)

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong. And I'm starting to wonder. You may be on to something. The numbers don't lie. They are much more physical now with the changes. Kidd said today after the game that they executed the game plan. While he may not be perfect as a coach I'm willing to give him a chance. I was very against Kidd and losing Rick. But, he has the team playing hard. Maybe they just needed some adjustment to get used to each other. Maybe we don't see the whole picture (which is very likely).
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 08:05 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: The rebounding and defense we now have post-changes raises the floor on a game to game basis. It allows us to not be so reliant on our 3’s falling. The entire team is responding well to this change in style

Kidd deserves credit. Numbers don’t lie. We’ve been terrific after timeouts and in clutch games. Getting a more physical starting 5 out there. Increasing minutes for Exum, Gafford and Jones. Decreasing minutes for Hardaway and Maxi (plus Powell not playing). They were feeling the heat. The right changes were made. That’s a good result. Maybe he does belong and we just don’t have the full picture(i.e. GWill being locker room cancer)

I didn’t like the super big lineup at the end with Gafford and Maxi. Maybe that could work in certain scenarios, but it’s not likely. I think the winning solution is a 3 headed monster at the 5. You have Gafford the traditional drop PnR big. Maxi the “small ball” switchable big. And Lively the unicorn who will eventually be able to do it all (we will see). PJ + Maxi is definitely a winning 4/5 combo. Gafford + Maxi is not. I do think that Lively + Maxi could be a winning combo one day

The 3 point shooting is a concern, but is it really that big of a deal if we’re winning all these games without it? I think we’re seeing a blueprint where we can make a deep run with simply being around league average. The hyper efficient PnR, put backs and lob plays are able to keep us in a game like today when we aren’t shooting well……….Hardaway losing minutes is part of this. It’s probably best to have only two main volume 3pt shooters that are Kyrie and Luka. Instead of a 3rd guy that’s streaky, i like the team approach. Feed the hot hand and the open man. PJ is the X factor. Exum has been good all year and will be fine once in a good groove after the injury. Jones has been better lately. Maxi will always be streaky(remember the end of season 0-for streak that ended with his hot shooting playing a big role in the WCF run?)

Things are clicking at the right time. Sky is the limit if we snap out of that bipolar-ness that’s been plaguing us all year

Problem is that the Mavs don't have the necessary consistency on defense. OKC was doing whatever it wanted against the Mavs two days ago. Looking at the bigger picture the Mavs rank 27th in D-Rating post allstar game. 25th in March. 9th over the last five games. It's hard to tell if things are trending in the right direction. Are the Mavs the team that gives up 120 to some of the worst teams in the league or the team that can hold elite teams like Denver to one of their worst offensive performances of the season.
Same for rebounding. Statistically the improvement isn't as big as many of us think but the Mavs are getting big rebounding performances in crucial games. Are they just coasting against worse teams?
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 05:11 PM)loki Wrote: That's why I'm staying on the Josh Green is a starter bandwagon once he's healthy.

Agreed.  Green needs to step it up, though.  He seems to have taken a step back offensively.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 08:05 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: The rebounding and defense we now have post-changes raises the floor on a game to game basis. It allows us to not be so reliant on our 3’s falling. The entire team is responding well to this change in style

Good post.  Dominating the boards against a huge, physical team is shocking and impressive.  The Gafford/Lively combination really frustrated Jokic and he an uncharacteristically mediocre game.  The Nuggets will not want to face us in the playoffs.  

Kidd does deserve some credit for making a change that has resulted in us winning 5 out of the last 6.  I didn't think Gafford as a starter was wise.  It seems to be working well though.  Having Exum back really helps us tremendously to always have two creators on the floor.  

My one criticism is playing Maxi at PF over DJJ in the late 4th.  DJJ is a better player than Maxi.  DJJ was having a really good game.  DJJ is hitting a much better percentage from 3 and can drive to the rim and finish.   Maxi is useless on offense.  DJJ should have been in there over Maxi.  

Otherwise, it's hard to argue with the results.  We beat the best in the West in one of the most exciting games of the year.

Good night, Luka.  
Good night, Kyrie.
Good night, Exum.
Good night, Lively.  
Good night, Mavericks.  Good night, air.  Good night, Mavs fans everywhere.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • Lukedoncic, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 08:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Problem is that the Mavs don't have the necessary consistency on defense. 

You think the problem with "necessary consistency on defense" since the All-Star game MIGHT have something to do with adding two starters to the rotation?

Because it is really hard to have consistent execution when nobody is used to each other.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 10:11 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Good post.  Dominating the boards against a huge, physical team is shocking and impressive.  The Gafford/Lively combination really frustrated Jokic and he an uncharacteristically mediocre game.  The Nuggets will not want to face us in the playoffs.  

Kidd does deserve some credit for making a change that has resulted in us winning 5 out of the last 6.  I didn't think Gafford as a starter was wise.  It seems to be working well though.  Having Exum back really helps us tremendously to always have two creators on the floor.  

My one criticism is playing Maxi at PF over DJJ in the late 4th.  DJJ is a better player than Maxi.  DJJ was having a really good game.  DJJ is hitting a much better percentage from 3 and can drive to the rim and finish.   Maxi is useless on offense.  DJJ should have been in there over Maxi.  

Otherwise, it's hard to argue with the results.  We beat the best in the West in one of the most exciting games of the year.

Good night, Luka.  
Good night, Kyrie.
Good night, Exum.
Good night, Lively.  
Good night, Mavericks.  Good night, air.  Good night, Mavs fans everywhere.

Maxi and PJ guarded Jokic 1vs1. That's why Kidd went big. Gafford and Lively played help defense off Gordon. So it wasn't really about Lively/Gafford themself. More about a big lineup. Gafford had really good timing as the help defender and rarely gave up the backdoor cut. Lively had a rough game on defense. Gave up a few easy dunks/layups/FTs (especially in the first half) when he lost track of Gordon in the dunkers spot. Jokic just knows how to read the help defender and waits for the smallest movement in the wrong direction (similar to Luka). Tough task for a rookie. On the few occasions where he ended up as the post defender he looked really good.
Lakers tried something similar last year. Almost worked out but in the end Jokic was just on another level. They had Hachimura on Jokic and AD playing help defense off Gordon.

To close out the game Kidd played PJ and Maxi because he wanted to switch the Murray/Jokic pick and roll without creating mismatches. Kleber started on Jokic. PJ on Murray. Would assume that DJJ wasn't on the floor because he cannot switch onto Jokic.
As far as defense goes it worked out but you cannot get away with Maxi/PJ/Gafford on offense. Not sure if DJJ would have made a difference but at least he can put the ball on the floor. Luka and Kyrie played 2vs5 on offense. Iso ball against double and triple teams. Needed some miracle shots to pull it off.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • mvossman, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 10:27 PM)MFFL Wrote: You think the problem with "necessary consistency on defense" since the All-Star game MIGHT have something to do with adding two starters to the rotation?

Because it is really hard to have consistent execution when nobody is used to each other.

Certainly. But I also think that the Mavs (especially Luka) come out with a different energy when they are playing a team like the Nuggets.
Like Reply
(03-17-2024, 10:27 PM)MFFL Wrote: You think the problem with "necessary consistency on defense" since the All-Star game MIGHT have something to do with adding two starters to the rotation?

We were bipolar well before the TDL. 

8-2
3-6
4-0
1-4
2-0
1-3
5-2
2-6
7-0
1-5
5-1

Our whole season is these stretches of looking elite followed by looking like a lotto team for a few games

Yes we have the two new starters thing. And the injury excuse that are legit. It all comes down to if we can put it together at the right time. Maybe they can look for inspiration from the Rangers who were very inconsistent on their way to the playoffs and boom it all magically clicked together
Like Reply