Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game 67: Dallas Mavericks (38-28) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (45-20)
(03-14-2024, 11:51 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Maxi didn't make a difference neither. They worked him on the P&R as well. At least let me die on a hill with a more athletic option than Maxi. Not knocking Maxi he tries, but those injuries have caught up with him.

Of course it didn't work out but why is athleticism the deciding factor? That's just a personal preference. Could just as well make the case that I prefer lateral movement and bball IQ. Why didn't he go small earlier? Maybe the Mavs would have made a comeback.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:35 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: not disagreeing, but SGA had the friendliest whistle in this game.

Kidd didn’t challenge any of them to my recollection so he must disagree. No one ever has been as good as Luka on offense.  But SGA just plays great on both sides and doesn’t put his team in constant 4 on 5 situations on defense. If OKC gets past Denver for the top seed he’ll be the deserving MVP.  He crushed the Mavs tonight. He’s played winning basketball all year long.

The Mavs are in real jeopardy of a playoff miss. They’ll need a flourish and a Sacramento collapse. They better at least get to 7 as their play in tournament is one game. If they find themselves in a winner take all final game against then Lakers, it’s almost certain defeat.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:53 PM)The Jom Wrote: He was 2 for 7 from 3 and -1 for the game in his 22 minutes. In my book, that means the Mavs played him off the court.

In the last game against the Mavs he was -23 and 3/14 from the floor. 3/9 from three. You cannot completly bench a starter and in my opinion Giddey is their biggest liability but compared to the disaster class in february they limited the damage instead of just watching him chuck away.
Like Reply
Kidd once again kept his challenges in the same place you can usually find his hands. In his pockets. You could make a great black and white silent horror film ala Nosferatu with Kidd stalking the sidelines as “The Somnambulist.” 

Daigneault by contrast was up and engaged with the officials and talking to his guys the entire game. Still not that impressed with OKC until Carson is ready to replace Dort and Holmgren gets stronger. And Giddey is sent packing in the big deal they make. But a few years from now they could be scary with Presti and Daigneault pulling the strings.
[-] The following 4 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Luka77, Scott41theMavs, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
This team with Kidd coaching is so frustrating to watch. He almost never fights hard for his players to get calls. Seeing his blank stares after a terrible call from the refs makes me want to puke

He keeps playing THJ after every terrible shot or turnover like he almost encourages it.

Moreover, what are Kidds redeeming qualities? He has no offensive or defensive scheme.

Kidd is single handedly keep the Mavs from reaching their potential. Mark needs to do the right thing and fire him in the now or latest this offseason. There are probably 10+ coaches that could coach this team to a better record than Kidd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
And just because I sometimes wonder if I watched a different game. OKC run leading to Kidd's decision to go small.

Williams layup over Gafford. Don't blame him He is in position and challenges the shot. Maybe late on the rotation.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=606&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Jal.%20Williams%202%27%20Driving%20Finger%20Roll%20Layup%20(21%20PTS)

Holmgren three from the top of the key. Gafford in no man's land. THJ trying to direct him towards Holmgren. Not knowing the entire gameplan I can imagine that THJ should have picked up Holmgren. Leaving Gafford as the free safety. With Giddey wide open on the left side. Defensive breakdown.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=609&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Holmgren%2025%27%203PT%20Running%20Jump%20Shot%20(11%20PTS)%20(Jal.%20Williams%205%20AST)

Soft call on Washington. FTs for SGA.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=626&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Washington%20S.FOUL%20(P2.T4)%20(P.Ransom)

Dort three from the corner. Mavs in scramble mode. Everyone makes the right rotation. Except for Gafford. Or maybe it is the scheme and they played off Dort (Unlikely considering that Dort is shooting 41% from three for the season).

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=638&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Dort%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(12%20PTS)%20(Joe%202%20AST)

SGA layup over Gafford. Not much he can do. Mavs play drop defense against the pick and roll and even the best bigs in the league are hopeless against a player like SGA.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=646&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Gilgeous-Alexander%205%27%20Driving%20Layup%20(27%20PTS)%20(Jay.%20Williams%202%20AST)

Frow down 3 with 8:40 left on the clock to down 11 with 5:57 left. For me it felt like the Thunder had figured things out.

Doesn't take away from Gafford's good game. He is outworking opposing bigs on both ends. Playing super hard.

Being able to change things up is a big advantage for the Mavs. The way Gafford is playing they can go big/small depending on the matchup. Not just adjusting to the opponent. Also try to dictate the way the game is played.
Just need a different coach that knows when and how to use them. I would start with one adjustment. Kleber is a center. When the Mavs want to go small he is a great option. His PF minutes are beyond bad. Would also help to keep him fresh. If small ball isn't needed. DNP-CD. If small ball is a big advantage. Let him play starter minutes.

More interesting topic is PJ's shooting. If he cannot figure things out the Mavs have a spacing issue. PJJ and Maxi are ice cold. DJJ has a long history of below average shooting and had a long slump before he turned things around in march.
Mavs are making up for it with more aggressive offense in the paint but we already saw that teams can collapse and take away the pick and roll options. At some point it will come down to the ability to hit a wide open 3.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ballsrchr, mvossman
Like Reply
mavs could really beat okc if they would just use their bigs all game long. playing small ball against them (or any other team) will be our downfall.

games like these drive me crazy because it was such a winnable game. but pj and thj just had to switch roles tonight. what a waste of kyrie's game as well.
Like Reply
I hope Josh Green is ok. I felt like he was falling into probably the right role for him currently as a high minute bench player. Before he got hurt, he had a real strong drive to the hoop.

So far I think starting Jones has worked. I like Jones better as a SF (point of attack defender) than PF where he was starting to play before the trades. I am just not sure it is going to work in the playoffs. He will need to be consistent from three. But if it doesn't work and his shot leaves him, you can give him a short leash.

Jaden was a little too aggressive in the first half last night. He did have 3 nice assists and almost a 4th when he had a pass to PJ who was fouled. He also had a few steals. He is probably not going to be in the rotation for the playoffs, but next year you aren't going to be able to keep him out. I suspect Green misses time, so he may get some run from there. It is always a evaluation, so he will need to show he can be consistent when given the chance.

Exum was uncharacteristic sloppy last night. I am not too worried that this will happen often though.

For OKC, one thing to have a boatload of pics. Another thing to hit on those picks. The good J Williams is a stud. Can't believe a year and a half ago Johnnie Davis was drafted before him. Sometimes you need some luck, even if you have a really good front office.
Like Reply
I don't want to pick on Hardaway, but this play caught my eye last night and wanted to watch it again.  It is just one play and not meant to say his whole game was bad.  But he can't get caught inside like this looking to take a charge.  You have a rim protector now.  Can't give Williams a wide open corner three.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=231&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Jal.%20Williams%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(12%20PTS)%20(Wallace%202%20AST)

edit- maybe not that bad as Kyrie slipped and Wallace may have gotten to the basket before PJ or Gafford could have got to him.
Like Reply
Some really nice passes from Jaden in the second quarter.  The game has slowed down for him.  You still need to protect him from his first instinct to attack at all times.  I belivee this can minimized though with who you pair him with.  There is a fine line between between being aggressive and being careless.  Hardaway has some of the same balancing act.   

Regardless, I don't think he could have made some of these passes at the beginning of the season.   Also, while I don't think he is the guy you want running an offense, he appears more comfortable doing it now than earlier in the season.   He will still look for the first opportunity to attack and look for his shot, but he seems to be playing with more of a purpose now.  

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=183&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Gafford%20Alley%20Oop%20Dunk%20(6%20PTS)%20(Hardy%201%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=220&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Hardaway%20Jr.%2024%27%203PT%20Jump%20Shot%20(8%20PTS)%20(Hardy%202%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=234&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Hardaway%20Jr.%202%27%20Cutting%20Layup%20Shot%20(10%20PTS)%20(Hardy%203%20AST)

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=273&GameID=0022300959&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Hardy%20STEAL%20(1%20STL)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(03-15-2024, 12:13 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Kidd once again kept his challenges in the same place you can usually find his hands. In his pockets. 

Feels like his hands are usually skyward.

Williams, my fellow Santa Clara Bronco, is the real deal. He'll be a top 2-way player.
Like Reply
I hope they get this corrected or improved. I believe the lack of shooting at PF is a much bigger issue in the playoffs than staying big at Center. Lets not even discuss if DJJ goes cold again. This team has gone to one that is much more athletic but much more questionable on outside shots. I fear this will be exposed in the playoffs more than playing centers most of the minutes.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...4781997559
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(03-15-2024, 09:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I hope they get this corrected or improved.  I believe the lack of shooting at PF is a much bigger issue in the playoffs than staying big at Center.    Lets not even discuss if DJJ goes cold again.  This team has gone to one that is much more athletic but much more questionable on outside shots.    I fear this will be exposed in the playoffs more than playing centers most of the minutes.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...4781997559

I agree. Maxi is a zero on offense at all 3 levels and PJ can’t shoot from 3. 

I have more faith that PJ can revert back to shooting his career average from 3 but I’m worried that him expending so much energy on the defensive end is effecting the outside shot. He hasn’t defended like this in his career and his form actually looks really good.

Maybe the playoff schedule with a normal amount of rest will help him there. I don’t know.

I’m afraid there’s no more hope for Maxi. He is who he is at this point in his career. His defense is a plus but any time he’s on the court you’re playing 4v5 on the other end. Will be difficult to overcome in a 7 game series.
Like Reply
At this point you make Maxi a dunker. Get him moving more, dives to the basket, etc.
Like Reply
The refs owe Daniel Gafford an apology, Chuck even called it at the half

https://bleacherreport.com/videos/543724...to-gafford

That really set the tone for the reffing in this game, too
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
That was actually a GEAT effort by our Mavs sans Luka. Really impressed witht heir hustle and fight. We could not really stop anybody but the refs really screwed us over. If we either switched coaches with them or had Luka in it would have been a nice win by us. I hope Green is alright but I doubt it.

PJ and Maxi will get their touches back. Our C-rotation is good and versatile. Exum is slowly coming back. I like our options and rotations for the playoffs. Getting through the play-in tournament and playing the Thunder would be a matchup I could live with!
[-] The following 1 user Likes meistermatze's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-15-2024, 11:30 AM)meistermatze Wrote: That was actually a GEAT effort by our Mavs sans Luka. Really impressed witht heir hustle and fight. We could not really stop anybody but the refs really screwed us over. If we either switched coaches with them or had Luka in it would have been a nice win by us. I hope Green is alright but I doubt it.

PJ and Maxi will get their touches back. Our C-rotation is good and versatile. Exum is slowly coming back. I like our options and rotations for the playoffs. Getting through the play-in tournament and playing the Thunder would be a matchup I could live with!

I feel pretty certain that if the Mavs had chosen a different president than Cynt Marshall, they would have won the game last night.
Like Reply
(03-15-2024, 01:09 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I feel pretty certain that if the Mavs had chosen a different president than Cynt Marshall, they would have won the game last night.

More trolling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-15-2024, 10:01 AM)Smitty Wrote: I agree. Maxi is a zero on offense at all 3 levels and PJ can’t shoot from 3. 

I have more faith that PJ can revert back to shooting his career average from 3 but I’m worried that him expending so much energy on the defensive end is effecting the outside shot. He hasn’t defended like this in his career and his form actually looks really good.

Maybe the playoff schedule with a normal amount of rest will help him there. I don’t know.

I’m afraid there’s no more hope for Maxi. He is who he is at this point in his career. His defense is a plus but any time he’s on the court you’re playing 4v5 on the other end. Will be difficult to overcome in a 7 game series.

We have to hope.   PJ is shooting 26% since arriving in Dallas.  Down to 30% for the season.   With the #'s of threes he shoots that is no where high enough.   He is helping the team in other ways, but I believe if not improved it will become brutal in a playoff series watching clank after clank in a tough series.    He is 1-13 the last two games.  In the last 8 games he has had one game over 50% from 3 (4-8).  The rest are not good.   I hope he is not that streaky shooter who has one game where he shoots a excellent percentage and the other games way below league average.  We really need him around 36% from three with hopefully only 3-4 attempts per game.

We have seen Maxi go in long droughts in the past.   He has had moments where he will have a stretch where everything is working though.   I just don't know you can count on him.  Therefore I hope this offseason, we find a 3/4 type.  DFS would be perfect to fill in at both the 3 and 4.   They are hard to find though.   This way Maxi can be a nice wild card.  Where you can ramp him up when needed.    Not with the expectation that you need him to be productive.   We will see though.  A week when Maxi shoots 40% from three can change things pretty quick.  I think we know what we have though.   A solid rotation player who can be valuable in certain matchups if he is on his game.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-15-2024, 01:52 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: We have to hope.   PJ is shooting 26% since arriving in Dallas.  Down to 30% for the season.   With the #'s of threes he shoots that is no where high enough.   He is helping the team in other ways, but I believe if not improved it will become brutal in a playoff series watching clank after clank in a tough series.    He is 1-13 the last two games.  In the last 8 games he has had one game over 50% from 3 (4-8).  The rest are not good.   I hope he is not that streaky shooter who has one game where he shoots a excellent percentage and the other games way below league average.  We really need him around 36% from three with hopefully only 3-4 attempts per game.

Dirk needs to Apollo Creed PJ like Ty did for DLive, coming back to help him improve his shooting form and execution.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavs2021
Like Reply