Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game 67: Dallas Mavericks (38-28) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (45-20)
Good effort by the Mavs. I have to say it was nice to watch a full game without a bunch of damn complaining to the refs. Kyrie and SGA do it the right way and don't complain at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Maxi looks like he needs a week off.
Like Reply
Tough fight for shorthanded Mavs. Played hard. Mavs a little sloppy. Not as good as OKC. Should have been a tad closer KD Dallas had some other guys have average games
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Mavs fought super hard. They played well.

I'm 100% convinced if we had Luka they win this game by 10+ points.

Do we know anything about how long he’ll be out?
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:31 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Another 30 for SGA. He’s right with Jokic for MVP. He dominated the Mavs tonight. He’s the best we’ve matched up with this year. Plays great defense too. No whining.  Just plays hard.

not disagreeing, but SGA had the friendliest whistle in this game.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Do we know anything about how long he’ll be out?

Apparently his MRI results came up clean. Which is great news. 

Says he'll be reevaluated before Denver on Sunday.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:33 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Maxi is always bad.  Always. PJ just had a bad game. He’s a solid 5th or 6th best player on a quality team.

You got 2 stud centers on the bench, and you put Maxi in crunch time? What am I missing here. Even if OKC went small, have at least one of those guys on the floor instead of Maxi.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41, BolsDamols
Like Reply
okc is also super well coached, on top of having top notch talent.

you can say thar about the top teams - minny, okc, denver

mavs on the other hand…
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:33 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Didn't change a thing. They were down double digits when Gafford went to the bench. Are down nine right now. At some point you have to risk it. Play more aggressive on defense. Pressure the ball. Go for the three on offense. Maybe they could have waited a little bit longer but the game wasn't decided by big vs small lineups...PJ sucked in all available lineup combinations.

I don't agree. There were rebounds Gafford would have got. He would have altered shots or limited their attacks. Maxi was no good tonight or anytime recently. Not saying they would have won, but Maxi hasn't done anything recently to justify closing a game. Maxi can't even shoot now. He literally is no help right now other than he can guard on the perimeter.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
So Dort unnecessarily ran THJ over and tripped him from behind and then just sprinted off the floor and nowhere to be seen on the bench. PJ looked gassed in the second night off B2B. Letting Jaylen Williams fly in for a dunk with no hard foul, after the way PJ has played tonight offensively? A little soft. He should’ve left the floor with THJ and Maxi and skipped the hugs bro. 

Overall proud of the team effort though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:38 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't agree. There were rebounds Gafford would have got. He would have altered shots or limited their attacks. Maxi was no good tonight or anytime recently. Not saying they would have won, but Maxi hasn't done anything recently to justify closing a game. Maxi can't even shoot now. He literally is no help right now other than he can guard on the perimeter.

OKC hit two big 3s with Gafford on the floor before he was replaced. One from the top of the key (Holmgren). One from the corner (Dort). Both probably Gafford's rotations.
Gafford was getting attacked in the pick and roll. Just as bad Kleber. SGA went right at him. Maybe he grabs an extra rebound but that's about it.
At least Kidd risked it and tried something different instead of running the same stuff that allowed the Thunder to create a double digit lead in the early 4th.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:39 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: So Dort unnecessarily ran THJ over and tripped him from behind and then just sprinted off the floor and nowhere to be seen on the bench. PJ looked gassed in the second night off B2B. Letting Jaylen Williams fly in for a dunk with no hard foul, after the way PJ has played tonight offensively? A little soft. He should’ve left the floor with THJ and Maxi and skipped the hugs bro. 

Overall proud of the team effort though.

PJ got worked over by J Will all game. Hope he plays better because he gets Aaron Gordon and MPJ next.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:33 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Didn't change a thing. They were down double digits when Gafford went to the bench. Are down nine right now. At some point you have to risk it. Play more aggressive on defense. Pressure the ball. Go for the three on offense. Maybe they could have waited a little bit longer but the game wasn't decided by big vs small lineups...PJ sucked in all available lineup combinations.

This is the one thing single-game +/- is good for. Correcting overreactions to a poor shooting night. Mavs absolutely didn’t lose this game because of PJ. Cold shooting night for Washington? Yes. Mavs better with PJ on the court (+1) than off (-8)? For sure.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:37 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: okc is also super well coached, on top of having top notch talent.

you can say thar about the top teams - minny, okc, denver

mavs on the other hand…

Mavs made the same gamble that won them the last game against OKC. Leave Giddey wide open. But Daigneault was prepared for it. Giddey only played 22 minutes and when he played it was more of a 76ers Ben Simmons role. Getting post touches. Setting some screens. Anything to avoid a pure spot up role.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Tough fight for shorthanded Mavs.  Played hard.  Mavs a little sloppy.  Not as good as OKC.  Should have been a tad closer KD Dallas had some other guys have average games

Not as good? Lost by 7 on the road, second night of back to back, minus our superstar and with a challenging bunch of whistles. This is the playoff matchup I dream of. That Thunder team is very flawed.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:47 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: PJ got worked over by J Will all game. Hope he plays better because he gets Aaron Gordon and MPJ next.

That was part of my disappointed about his non-contest of the dunk. And then Willliams got his scream on. You shoot like that I don’t want you smiling and hugging those dudes after the game. A couple more males and a couple less dumb turnovers from him and we maybe win despite the one-sided officiating.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: OKC hit two big 3s with Gafford on the floor before he was replaced. One from the top of the key (Holmgren). One from the corner (Dort). Both probably Gafford's rotations.
Gafford was getting attacked in the pick and roll. Just as bad Kleber. SGA went right at him. Maybe he grabs an extra rebound but that's about it.
At least Kidd risked it and tried something different instead of running the same stuff that allowed the Thunder to create a double digit lead in the early 4th.

Maxi didn't make a difference neither. They worked him on the P&R as well. At least let me die on a hill with a more athletic option than Maxi. Not knocking Maxi he tries, but those injuries have caught up with him.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:49 PM)The Jom Wrote: This is the one thing single-game +/- is good for. Correcting overreactions to a poor shooting night. Mavs absolutely didn’t lose this game because of PJ. Cold shooting night for Washington? Yes. Mavs better with PJ on the court (+1) than off (-8)? For sure.

Now I just need to understand why we never used that logic for Powell. Aren't using it for Kleber...
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs made the same gamble that won them the last game against OKC. Leave Giddey wide open. But Daigneault was prepared for it. Giddey only played 22 minutes and when he played it was more of a 76ers Ben Simmons role. Getting post touches. Setting some screens. Anything to avoid a pure spot up role.

He was 2 for 7 from 3 and -1 for the game in his 22 minutes. In my book, that means the Mavs played him off the court.
Like Reply
(03-14-2024, 11:53 PM)The Jom Wrote: He was 2 for 7 from 3 and -1 for the game in his 22 minutes. In my book, that means the Mavs played him off the court.

They lost, so it's all academic.
Like Reply