Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Game 58: Dallas Mavericks (33-24) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (37-19)
(02-27-2024, 09:40 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: What I think will be wasted will be Luka's MVP season - there is just no way he will win it if the Mavs stay in the play in range, no matter how gaudy his stats will be at the end. This might be his best chance to get the award. 

And I find it hard to accept that someone like Shai might win an MVP first before Luka, after several seasons of Luka being within striking distance of the award, while this will be the first year Shai is in the MVP conversation. But ultimately OKC's record will get him the edge for MVP, if voter's fatigue with Jokic is real.

Will settle for the scoring title I guess.

You're underestimating Shai.  He's an elite creator and finisher although Luka is a much better passer and distributor.  However, Shai has become the best defensive guard in the NBA.  He leads the league's in steals and deflections and now creates havoc on defense.   His two-way impact is greater than Luka.  He is 2nd in the NBA in EPM behind only Embiid who obviously can't win due to the games missed.  

Also, he's led OKC to the 2nd-best record in the NBA.

Shai is a better all-around player than Luka this season and deserves to be the MVP.
Like Reply
I am unsure how many of those Strus 3 were on Hardaway or what he could have done differently, but I agree with the Hardaway minutes overall though.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...3154093565

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...4979972240

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...5050989713

Hardy was in when Cleveland couldn't miss in the second. I think a few of them were on him too. I thought he made a few good plays. He is not there yet, but I do wonder if he is ready for longer minutes. Last night didn't really work though. I think he works best with two other creators. It probably won't happen this year with everyone healthy.
Like Reply
Lively needs to shoot free throw better. That is going to be a key for him. If he is ever a guy who gets more touches inside, he will need to be more reliable from the free throw line. Interesting thing recently, it seems like Lively has had some game where he starts out and looks like a an all defensive player to begin games. Then for the rest of the game, he is pretty quiet. It has happened a few times. I still think if he is healthy, he needs to play at least 25 minutes a game. Maybe more.
Like Reply
The Hardaway minutes in the 4th were a head scratcher. Wonder what Iztok means by Kidd trying to prove a point, like is it a point to the fans that we need Hardaway or a point to Hardaway that he’s a problem? It was just clearly an issue that he refused to address while giving up a barrage of threes that is probably not happening with Green out there who was well rested on the bench. Here’s to hoping Exum comes back and is ready to eat some of those minutes.

Also, I rarely complain about refs but we absolutely when that game if it’s called correctly.
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 11:13 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: RC would have this offense at #1 in the league, easily.

If you think Luka would still be tolerating RC then you are delusional
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • ballsrchr, HoosierDaddyKidd, RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 09:38 AM)MFFL Wrote: If you think Luka would still be tolerating RC then you are delusional

Can anyone elaborate on the major break down between Luka and Rick?  Or was it just time for Rick to go?

I have heard Luka didnt like how Rick treated players like Josh Green.   Im all for a generational talent getting a prick to pack up his bags...assuming that was the issue.   I just dont know if that was rumor or factual.

Dont know if there was rub from Rick supposedly not being able to come up with a more efficient offense than Luka-ball.   Was Rick insecure and took it out on Luka in weird ways?

What would Luka not tolerate in regards to Rick?
Like Reply
The thing about this loss is that the Mavs did play well. They played an incredible 4th quarter until the last 4 mins. They were in a great position.

Such an unfortunate loss
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 10:19 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Can anyone elaborate on the major break down between Luka and Rick?  Or was it just time for Rick to go?

I have heard Luka didnt like how Rick treated players like Josh Green.   Im all for a generational talent getting a prick to pack up his bags...assuming that was the issue.   I just dont know if that was rumor or factual.

Dont know if there was rub from Rick supposedly not being able to come up with a more efficient offense than Luka-ball.   Was Rick insecure and took it out on Luka in weird ways?

What would Luka not tolerate in regards to Rick?

Just my uninformed opinion.  Carlisle had a habit of picking out a whipping boy, or two, and otherwise jerking players around.  There really was a doghouse when playing for Carlisle.  Luka wouldn't put up with that and didn't like it being done to others--such as Josh Green.

I thought Carlisle was a good in-game coach, but sometimes wondered how he really was behind the scenes.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 12:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The thing about this loss is that the Mavs did play well. They played an incredible 4th quarter until the last 4 mins. They were in a great position.

Such an unfortunate loss

Yeah, totally not a loss to freak out about. Like RTG said, they played Cleveland evenly (I think they outplayed Cleveland) on the road.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, totally not a loss to freak out about. Like RTG said, they played Cleveland evenly (I think they outplayed Cleveland) on the road.

Yeah I'm not going to overreact to this loss, but it stings extra bad since it was right there and the standings are so tight.

I hope we don't look back in 2 months and wonder if this team was one 60 foot prayer away from the 6th seed and play in. 

Only critiques I have (and honestly couldn't muster the energy for after seeing that shot) was how stagnant the offense was in the first half. Basically 1 PnR into a dribble fest for 20 seconds and then a prayer. 2nd half was a little better but not by much. Kidd failed there.

The substitution patterns I thought were silly. Taking Green out in the 4th instead of Timmy was an insane choice to me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, totally not a loss to freak out about. Like RTG said, they played Cleveland evenly (I think they outplayed Cleveland) on the road.

I agree that the performance is not something to freak out about but it's just hard not to do some standings watching this time of year.

Team looks pretty solid though so hopefully we can just find a post season spot somewhere.
Like Reply
[Image: GHchzwrW0AAIioF?format=jpg&name=large]

When even Followill is demonstrably against the refs, you know they f'd up
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 11:13 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: RC would have this offense at #1 in the league, easily.

He'd also have this defense at #30. There's a reason Indiana isn't higher in the standings
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
@townbrad
According to the L2M report, P.J. Washington was not fouled when he made the go-ahead shot with 2.6 seconds left. Or as Luka Doncic said last night when I asked about Washington’s shot:

“You mean the and-one?”

Every replay I’ve seen, difficult to believe how that wasn’t a foul.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 05:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @townbrad
According to the L2M report, P.J. Washington was not fouled when he made the go-ahead shot with 2.6 seconds left. Or as Luka Doncic said last night when I asked about Washington’s shot:

“You mean the and-one?”

Every replay I’ve seen, difficult to believe how that wasn’t a foul.

It looked like to me he got him on the wrist/hand AND body.
Like Reply
Opinions:

If you give our best long-distance shooter (Luka) 10 attempts from 59 feet away, how many do you think he hits?
Like Reply
(03-01-2024, 02:05 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Opinions:

If you give our best long-distance shooter (Luka) 10 attempts from 59 feet away, how many do you think he hits?

Probably 1/10 or 2/10. He did this with Jokic at the ASG practice and I think he went 1/3 in the minute they had
Like Reply