Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 55: San Antonio Spurs (11-43) vs. Dallas Mavericks (31-23)
(02-15-2024, 09:55 AM)omahen Wrote: I still maintain that if this team proves to be not strong enough, the only possible serious upgrade would be in the form of a third best man on offense, who is also very good on defense. I don't think shuffling role players will ever bring the result. The offensive role and opportunity comes in place of Hardaway. So an important thing would imho be to create some sets for the third best guy (that is not Hardaway), to do a little bit of an ISO. That way all potential third best guys could see their role on the team. As it is now, Hardaway (and to an extent Hardy) are more or less the only guys doing a bit of ISO. In both cases this mostly means shooting a contested shot. PJ could offer more versatility to the role.

I think they're hoping someone currently on the roster becomes that 3rd-best guy.  PJ, Josh Green and Jaden Hardy all have that potential although I don't think Hardy will ever be a good defender.  He is getting better on that end.

I hope we'll just be patient for a year and let the roster work itself out.  Two of our best moves over the past few years were the Dante Exum and DJJ vet minimum pickups.  I hope they'll take some similar bets this coming summer with some reclamation projects or undervalued young veteran players.

If there's still an obvious gap as we approach next year's trade deadline, we'll have THJ as an expiring and a couple 1st-round picks to include to obtain that third-best guy. 

I hope for a little patience from the Maverick front office until that time.  The only exception would be for coaching.  If we don't win a playoff series, it will be time for a new head coach.  Kidd is obviously looking better on a 6-game win streak but I think we would be better off with a different head coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 02-14-2024, 09:47 PM
RE: JamesConway912 - by KillerLeft - 02-14-2024, 09:53 PM
RE: Game 55: San Antonio Spurs (11-43) vs. Dallas Mavericks (31-23) - by surfpuckmd - 02-15-2024, 10:39 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-15-2024, 10:48 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 02-15-2024, 10:37 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by surfpuckmd - 02-15-2024, 12:09 PM