Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 55: San Antonio Spurs (11-43) vs. Dallas Mavericks (31-23)
So big that it only took one 1st rounder to get Kyrie
Reasons he went for cheaper but that talent should cost 2 or 3 first rounders and a couple pick swaps
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
The remaining minutes of this Q4 would be better used running plays for Gafford, PJ and Hardy, to get them better inculcated and into the swing of things.
Like Reply
remember when wesley pointed at gafford? i thought that was when the mavs turned the switch on. that was a mistake
[-] The following 1 user Likes donzingis38's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Season low 93 points allowed. Haha. Or as Knicks/Heat 90s fans call it: a high scoring quadruple OT game.
Like Reply
Spurs have some work to do. Wemby is awesome but it feels like non of their guards/wings can shoot from 3. Either a brilliant tanking move or a reason to make some big roster changes in the offseason. Hopefully they cannot find a guard/wing start to pair with Wemby. West is tough enough without another Spurs dynasty.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 10:39 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Season low 93 points allowed. Haha. Or as Knicks/Heat 90s fans call it: a high scoring quadruple OT game.

Not bad after giving up 20 points in the first 6 minutes
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Mavs are back to their november/december self. Sleep walking through the first half. Flipping a switch and going on big runs in the 3rd quarter. Someone needs to tell them that they haven't won anything and aren't in the position to coast through the regular season. Against better opponents it isn't as easy to come back from a double digit deficit.
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Another 50 rebound game!
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I don't quite get what seems like Gafford bashing. The guy was brought in to be our backup 5 and has averaged 15 pts, 12 rbs and 2.33 blocks per game in 3 contests in 21.33 minutes a game. Maybe give the guy some credit. Lively is better and that's great, but Gafford was a damn good pickup. He's playing hard and loves the team. Maybe cheer for the guy.
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 11:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't quite get what seems like Gafford bashing. The guy was brought in to be our backup 5 and has averaged 15 pts, 12 rbs and 2.33 blocks per game in 3 contests in 21.33 minutes a game. Maybe give the guy some credit. Lively is better and that's great, but Gafford was a damn good pickup. He's playing hard and loves the team. Maybe cheer for the guy.

He couldn't stop Wemby.  Other than that, he's looked really amazing here.  We are suddenly a good rebounding team.  That's because of Gafford.  His hands are really good and he catches everything thrown at him.  He runs the court every possession like it's a race.  I'm a big fan.  He's not as quick as Lively and doesn't have the same reach.  Lively clearly has much more potential.  I think Gafford is about to be the best backup big in the NBA though.
[-] The following 4 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Not sure anyone can stop Wemby...lol. He's going to be so dominant the more he plays. It's really scary how good he already is.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 11:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't quite get what seems like Gafford bashing. The guy was brought in to be our backup 5 and has averaged 15 pts, 12 rbs and 2.33 blocks per game in 3 contests in 21.33 minutes a game. Maybe give the guy some credit. Lively is better and that's great, but Gafford was a damn good pickup. He's playing hard and loves the team. Maybe cheer for the guy.

Comes down to the way people look at the game. Gafford is a boxscore stuffer and put up big numbers in his first three games but they feel somewhat empty because he also has the worst +/- numbers among regular rotation players (excluding garbage time).
Sample size is still super small and I think even the boxscore stuffing can help in certain matchups. Not to mention that he had no time to learn schemes/the playbook. That explains a lot of his issues on the defensive end and should get better with time.
  • KillerLeft, surfpuckmd
Like Reply

I have no problem with him being on the team. I’m glad he’s on the team. I think he is a luxury as a backup center.

I think he is multiple levels below Lively in every category except rebounding, and I feel like suggesting Gafford should start, which several people have done recently, should be a bannable offense.

I think his salary and the pick swap are both a little bit much for the impact he’s going to make here, ultimately. Alternatively, it is going to take PJ Washington longer to acclimate, because his role is so much more complicated, but if he continues to play defense like he has so far, I am not going to miss the first round pick they traded for him one bit. The offense is only a matter of time.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, donzingis38
Like Reply
This was one of my favorite Maverick Kyrie games.  He is one of the most brilliant basketball performers ever.  It's just amazing to watch him get to the rim and finish.  I'm grateful we get to watch him on the Mavericks.  He and Luka just make it so much fun to be a Mavs fan.

I really like PJ's effort and energy right now on defense.  I hope he keeps this up.  So far, so good.

Jaden Hardy looked good and is even playing better on defense.  He had a really nice block as well.

Lively looked great in his comeback game.  He looks really intimidating with the mask.  He should consider keeping it on forever.  

I also have to admit that I'm a Wemby fan as well.  He's just fascinating to watch.  There's never been another human being this size who can move this well and is so coordinated.  If he stays healthy, I think we'll eventually talk about who was the greatest ever....Jordan, Lebron or Wemby.
[-] The following 4 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 09:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Lively is such a difference maker on defense. He’s also freakishly good at the Gortat screen for a rookie.

Lively is sooo freaking good

I keep having to recalibrate my expectations for him.  Not only was he better than expected immediately, he's improving faster than I thought he would as well.  It's really fun to be a Mavs fan right now with all the good that is happening.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, WillE
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 11:34 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I keep having to recalibrate my expectations for him.  Not only was he better than expected immediately, he's improving faster than I thought he would as well.  It's really fun to be a Mavs fan right now with all the good that is happening.

He’s so freaking smart, and he’s so freaking confident. They really knocked that pick out of the park. 

Probably going to be glad they have him for the next 10 years, as I can’t imagine there will be too many defenders better equipped to slow down Wembanyama (maybe O-Max). This is two matchups now where I felt like Lively got the better of him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 11:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s so freaking smart, and he’s so freaking confident. They really knocked that pick out of the park. 

Probably going to be glad they have him for the next 10 years, as I can’t imagine there will be too many defenders better equipped to slow down Wembanyama. This is to match ups now where I felt like Lively got the better of him.

He also pairs so well with Luka.  It's like they created him in a lab to perfectly complement Luka's game.  We were all hoping we had the next Tyson Chandler.  It looks like Lively will be better than Chandler though.  I'm not even sure who the correct comparison is.  I'll figure it our eventually.
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 11:41 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He also pairs so well with Luka.  It's like they created him in a lab to perfectly complement Luka's game.  We were all hoping we had the next Tyson Chandler.  It looks like Lively will be better than Chandler though.  I'm not even sure who the correct comparison is.  I'll figure it our eventually.

I think Chandler is a good comparison, it’s just that it took Chandler like the first nine years of his career to figure out what role he was best suited to play. Lively has the benefit of understanding that from jump Street.

I said this before, but I have a feeling he’s going to end up like Brook Lopez when he’s older. A little thicker, a little slower, but still able to use his size on defense. Replace the screen and roll with pick and pop along with a ton of corner 3’s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 11:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s so freaking smart, and he’s so freaking confident. They really knocked that pick out of the park. 

Probably going to be glad they have him for the next 10 years, as I can’t imagine there will be too many defenders better equipped to slow down Wembanyama (maybe O-Max). This is two matchups now where I felt like Lively got the better of him.

C'mon man, how is OMax going to stop Wemby when far better players can't? I can understand rooting for the guy, but sheesh, hyperbole much?
Like Reply
(02-15-2024, 07:50 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: C'mon man, how is OMax going to stop Wemby when far better players can't?

O-Max will have help. Cause Wemby going to be so distracted by KillerLeft sitting courtside holding up signs, shaking pom poms and hurling strings of expletives Wemby's way, lol. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply