Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 54: Washington Wizards (9-43) vs. Dallas Mavericks (30-23)
(02-13-2024, 10:58 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: He is 1-9 so far on threes as a Mav.   I don't feel very confident when he rises up to shoot.  He may be rushing a little too.   

The good thing is that he is he just needs to practice in pretty much 4 spots shooting the ball.

Oh, sure. The catch and shoot 3’s have been brutal, so far. I think he’ll improve. In the meantime, though, is her shooting any worse than Williams did, really?
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 10:39 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m surprised. He’s had a rough start on offense, but his DEFENSE has been 20X better than I expected. He has looked like DFS out there, so far. His defense down the stretch of this game was one of the keys to victory.

PJW with DAL

116.4 ORTG
92.3 DRTG
24.2 NetRTG
+16.0

His impact defensively has been a breath of fresh air. Just wait till he finds his groove on offense!
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, The Jom
Like Reply
I definitely think Kuzma is better than Washington.

Cost to acquire, contract, d-baggery and non-winning attitude seem to make him unfavorable.

His size and skill are what Mavs needed. He can do everything Washington can but is bigger. Washington seems more coachable, though. If Kuzma was willing to buy in I would take a shot if he ever became a cheap acquisition. As in...no bad shots, play defense and rebound.

Posters dont like it...but Kuzma has seemed to maximized his stimulation within the NBA. He is paid and is on a team that he is the #1. He doesnt care about winning...just being #1 and cashing checks. He'd rather chuck shots and cash checks than cash checks and be 3rd option. His choice.

---

He has been called a good professional attitude wise. But I dont see Timmy liking getting squeezed for minutes. The guy is a complete A-hole to "underlings" on the court and thinks he deserves shots over them. I think he asks to be traded this summer if squeezed. If he doesnt like whats happening...I suspect we see Tim go extra ball-hoggy in his minutes.

What sucks is...now that Mavs have a deep team...I think this is the perfect team for Tim assuming he doesnt chuck when given minutes. Take shots...but not bad shots without ever considering passing the rock.

I think Tim has some Jeremi Grant and Kyle Kuzma in him...they think they are #1's. I think Tim thinks he is a starter in this league who deserves minutes...not bench.
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 08:44 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Mavs couldn’t make a shot and turned the ball over like crazy (side note, what’s with all the illegal screens the past two games) and still won. The defense and rebounding looks much improved.

Want to see PJs shot start to drop here pretty soon but his defense has been way better than expected so far.

Yeah don´t think it´s a coincidence that he has one of the better plus/minus stats over the last two games.

+40 Kleber
+37 Doncic
+35 Irving
+32 Washington

His 2pt shooting has also been exceptional at 75% (9/12). It´s his horrible 3pt shooting that stands out at 11.1% (1/9). 

Though the revelation has been healthy Maxi. Didn´t think that player still existed. Had written him off, because of his health. Only support (a cheapish) Bron chase, so he can put Maxi on his diet. Big Grin

Also Hardy´s last 10 games shooting 50/44/83. Can´t "fire" a 21 year old, cause he´s starting the season slowly. He´s clearly putting in more effort on defense and that means he´ll have to get used to the physical effect it has on his offense.

All in all this team feels like it has balance that enables them to win ugly games, too.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 11:18 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah don´t think it´s a coincidence that he has one of the better plus/minus stats over the last two games.

+40 Kleber
+37 Doncic
+35 Irving
+32 Washington

His 2pt shooting has also been exceptional at 75% (9/12). It´s his horrible 3pt shooting that stands out at 11.1% (1/9). 

Though the revelation has been healthy Maxi. Didn´t think that player still existed. Had written him off, because of his health. Only support (a cheapish) Bron chase, so he can put Maxi on his diet. Big Grin

Also Hardy´s last 10 games shooting 50/44/83. Can´t "fire" a 21 year old, cause he´s starting the season slowly. He´s clearly putting in more effort on defense and that means he´ll have to get used to the physical effect it has on his offense.

All in all this team feels like it has balance that enables them to win ugly games, too.

Where is Mavs2021 and what have you done with him?

Seriously, if you're positive, we should all be positive.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 11:47 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Where is Mavs2021 and what have you done with him?

We finally got younger for him!
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 11:18 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah don´t think it´s a coincidence that he has one of the better plus/minus stats over the last two games.

+40 Kleber
+37 Doncic
+35 Irving
+32 Washington

Those 4. Luka, Kyrie, PJ, Maxi

Who should be the 5th player in our switch everything small ball lineup? 

It would need to be a POA defender. DJJ is probably our best at this. Green or Exum as well
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 08:22 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He is as expected after 2 games.  He's bigger and more athletic than Grant and can make plays on defense that Grant can't.  He makes mistakes though.  Grabbing the rim on the layup attempt for the goaltend is one of the stupidest defensive I've seen this season.  Definitely a Shaqtin a Fool play.   Lower BBIQ than Grant.  

On offense, he can handle, get to the rim and finish better than Grant.  His 3-point shot though isn't as good.  

He has the potential to be much better than Grant Williams but I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade immediately.  I still can't believe we only were able to protect the 2027 pick for the top-2.  Receiving the 60th pick in this upcoming draft doesn't make me feel any better.  I'm going to think of him as a really talented prospect who has the potential to become a perfect fit for us if he improves his decisions and effort on defense and recovers his 3-point shooting.  If he does both of those, he'll be a top-50 player in the NBA. 

Daniel Gafford looks really good though.  I'm happy about that trade.

That goaltend call was one of the most ludicrous things I've seen. That shot had no chance of even grazing the backboard and no goaltend should've been called. 

I've felt pretty encouraged after 2 games of PJ. His defense has been as advertised and he's made at least 3 plays down the stretch in crunch time where I thought: "If the Mavs had Grant Williams here it'd be a turnover."

His ceiling will depend on his 3pt shooting. Hopefully that comes back.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 12:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That goaltend call was one of the most ludicrous things I've seen. That shot had no chance of even grazing the backboard and no goaltend should've been called. 

I've felt pretty encouraged after 2 games of PJ. His defense has been as advertised and he's made at least 3 plays down the stretch in crunch time where I thought: "If the Mavs had Grant Williams here it'd be a turnover."

His ceiling will depend on his 3pt shooting. Hopefully that comes back.
Who can make consistent 3’s out of PJ, Maxi, DJJ, Green, Exum? 

To me this will dictate how far we go. And who we keep going forward.
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 12:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: His defense has been as advertised

Damn you must have access to much more positive advertising than I do.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 11:47 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Where is Mavs2021 and what have you done with him?

They basically got most of the players I wanted. Re-structured the cap and age structure. What can I do? Moan against my own GMing ideas? Big Grin 

Nico has to work with the crappy hand Cuban dealt him, and despit some bumps and bruises along the way, he has increased his chip stack.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 12:13 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Who can make consistent 3’s out of PJ, Maxi, DJJ, Green, Exum? 

To me this will dictate how far we go. And who we keep going forward.

Theoretically Green and Exum.

But all of those guys aside from DJJ are ones I want to shoot as much as possible if they are open. Maxi is good enough that you can't leave him wide open for 48 minutes and expect him to go 1 for 10. (2 for 9 more likely Big Grin )

Green and Exum's bread and butter are spot up 3s. PJ ideally can do more than just hit threes.

Its nice we have options and can ride a hot hand.

(02-13-2024, 12:14 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Damn you must have access to much more positive advertising than I do.

PJ advertised himself as a defense first player Tongue . The Charlotte games I watched I saw a guy who tried 50% of the time, but when he tried good things happened.

So far in his 2 games with Dallas it looks like his lack of trying was moreso him being done in CHA than lack of motor.

I hope he keeps it up!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...2265942445

Itzok's breakdown of the game is always a great read.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
It seems to me that the transition without practices or really knowing/understanding the system was always going to be tougher on PJ than Gafford.

Gafford gets to play PnR, Rebound and Block shots. That's pretty much what he has always done. I will say he missed some wide open kick outs out of the short roll early last night. I expect him to improve in that area with time.

PJ played a lot in the PnR as both the roll man and ball handler and was sort of in the THJ microwave role off the bench as well. He really is playing a much different role within the offense than what Charlotte asked him to do. The All Star break could be huge for him in getting time to learn the system and also have 3 games to review with staff and make adjustments.

The defensive potential PJ has shown already has been big. Offensively, he obviously needs to be willing take and able to make those outside shots. His ability to attack close outs is one thing that is levels above anyone the Mavs have had in that spot.

Gafford has the fun stat line and is a great fit to what will soon be a two headed monster with DLive. I am not at all soured on PJ after two games though. I will be happy if he just keeps the defensive level he has flashed and expect the offense to come along as he gets more comfortable with when and where he is going to get the ball. Lastly, the Maxi/PJ front court could be a big player and PJ can play as that role man in that lineup where he should be comfortable already.
[-] The following 4 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, WillE
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/5271857/2024/02/...ear-trade/

Kuzma says he almost became a Maverick
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 01:37 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: It seems to me that the transition without practices or really knowing/understanding the system was always going to be tougher on PJ than Gafford.

Gafford gets to play PnR, Rebound and Block shots.  That's pretty much what he has always done.  I will say he missed some wide open kick outs out of the short roll early last night.  I expect him to improve in that area with time.

PJ played a lot in the PnR as both the roll man and ball handler and was sort of in the THJ microwave role off the bench as well. He really is playing a much different role within the offense than what Charlotte asked him to do.  The All Star break could be huge for him in getting time to learn the system and also have 3 games to review with staff and make adjustments.

The defensive potential PJ has shown already has been big.  Offensively, he obviously needs to be willing take and able to make those outside shots.  His ability to attack close outs is one thing that is levels above anyone the Mavs have had in that spot.

Gafford has the fun stat line and is a great fit to what will soon be a two headed monster with DLive.  I am not at all soured on PJ after two games though.  I will be happy if he just keeps the defensive level he has flashed and expect the offense to come along as he gets more comfortable with when and where he is going to get the ball.  Lastly, the Maxi/PJ front court could be a big player and PJ can play as that role man in that lineup where he should be comfortable already.

I agree with every word of this. Great stuff.
Like Reply
It's funny: When you read this thread you would think we are a full-on tanking team. If you reread the Thunder-gamethread, you would think we already won the Championship this year. Learning: We all need to chill the f*** out and not overreact to small sample sizes.

I think it is pretty clear, that we raised our ceiling with these trades significantly, and this is a great thing.

We played super bad the whole game, Luka had a total off-night and still had a triple-double. THJ is bound to have nights like this and it was clear that he might suffer because his role and minutes gets diminished when a) we want to play bigger and b) Kyrie and Luka are healthy. Gafford is not prime Shaq but he is a true big.

Him and Lively together give you real center minutes for as long as you need it. If bigs get played-off the floor (which is likely in the playoffs), we need Maxi out there and apparently, him and Washington looks like a gread combo. This gives me the most hope going forward, tbh. PJ is a huge surprise so far on D and I don't care about his 3-point-shot. If he shoots 33% and plays good defense, we are okay since all our other rotation players (not named Lively or Gafford) shoot the 3 well.

Looks like the DJJ-experiment is over. Not to a fault of his, he played a great season so far, but he will suffer due to a reduced role as well. He played with confidence since we relied heavily on him as a starter but now that this is gone, I expect him to regress significantly with this shooting and then he might be difficult to play.

I am happy Green looks like a true NBA-starter. Luka is the MVP, Kyrie is healthy. If Exum comes back and stays healthy, our 8 man-rotation for the playoffs is set.

What do you guys think it will look like?

Luka (30), Exum (18)
Kyrie (42) Hardaway (6)
Green (24), Luka (12), Exum (6), DJJ (6)
Washington (24), Maxi (12)
Lively (22), Gafford (16), Maxi (10)

With DJJ and Hardaway probably cut and minutes going to Kleber (we have to watch hin minutes due to health concern) and Washington or Green.

Luka (42)
Kyrie (42)
Washington (24) +6
Green (24) +3
Exum (24)
Maxi (22) +3
Lively (22)
Gafford (16)

If we need offense desperately: Hardaway (6)
If we need athleticism and some defense: DJJ (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like meistermatze's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 09:49 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Luka (42)
Kyrie (42)
Washington (24) +6
Green (24) +3
Exum (24)
Maxi (22) +3
Lively (22)
Gafford (16)

I know I'm a fan of a more condensed playoff lineup where only around 8 guys are the main ones expecting minutes. 
Fine with it even if Hardway is the one that becomes that other 20 to 24 mpg guy instead of Exum. Not ideal really but so much better than trying to play 10 or 11 guys
Like Reply
In the Playoffs...is it not possible to use Green in a way that exhibits his best ability...hustle?

Seems like Green would be best used by not wearing him out like the Mavs did Dorian Finney-Smith...but to pinpoint a tailored 20-25 minutes for him. Use him in 4 or 5 minute increments where he has fresh legs and can just torment the other team with his hustle.

Basically...keep the guys legs fresh and unleash him to torment the other team in a precision type manor.

Example: If we are playing a team that is hard to beat and the 4th Quarter is instrumental for both teams, and assuming Green's assignment is key to stopping the other team or slowing them down....use his minutes wisely and keep his legs fresh for late game 4th.

The kid is an absolute missile with fresh legs.
Like Reply
(02-14-2024, 09:49 AM)meistermatze Wrote: It's funny: When you read this thread you would think we are a full-on tanking team. If you reread the Thunder-gamethread, you would think we already won the Championship this year. Learning: We all need to chill the f*** out and not overreact to small sample sizes.

I think it is pretty clear, that we raised our ceiling with these trades significantly, and this is a great thing.

We played super bad the whole game, Luka had a total off-night and still had a triple-double. THJ is bound to have nights like this and it was clear that he might suffer because his role and minutes gets diminished when a) we want to play bigger and b) Kyrie and Luka are healthy. Gafford is not prime Shaq but he is a true big.

Him and Lively together give you real center minutes for as long as you need it. If bigs get played-off the floor (which is likely in the playoffs), we need Maxi out there and apparently, him and Washington looks like a gread combo. This gives me the most hope going forward, tbh. PJ is a huge surprise so far on D and I don't care about his 3-point-shot. If he shoots 33% and plays good defense, we are okay since all our other rotation players (not named Lively or Gafford) shoot the 3 well.

Looks like the DJJ-experiment is over. Not to a fault of his, he played a great season so far, but he will suffer due to a reduced role as well. He played with confidence since we relied heavily on him as a starter but now that this is gone, I expect him to regress significantly with this shooting and then he might be difficult to play.

I am happy Green looks like a true NBA-starter. Luka is the MVP, Kyrie is healthy. If Exum comes back and stays healthy, our 8 man-rotation for the playoffs is set.

What do you guys think it will look like?

Luka (30), Exum (18)
Kyrie (42) Hardaway (6)
Green (24), Luka (12), Exum (6), DJJ (6)
Washington (24), Maxi (12)
Lively (22), Gafford (16), Maxi (10)

With DJJ and Hardaway probably cut and minutes going to Kleber (we have to watch hin minutes due to health concern) and Washington or Green.

Luka (42)
Kyrie (42)
Washington (24) +6
Green (24) +3
Exum (24)
Maxi (22) +3
Lively (22)
Gafford (16)

I think your playoff players and  minutes are pretty close other than situational matchups we can't plan for. On your regular season minutes, I think PJ will be getting 30 minutes a night. I think the Mavs are big believers in him and unlocking his 2 way potential. Some players are going to get squeezed out of the lineup do to PJ and Gafford, but that's the business of winning. I truly believe they think PJ is a different player than everyone saw in Charlotte. He definitely has the tools and ability to be more and he's happy now. He seems locked in and that can definitely change a players career.
Like Reply