Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: PJ Washington+ 2 2nds To DAL | G. Williams+ Curry+ 2027 FRP (top 2 protected)
(02-10-2024, 12:27 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t get how the Mavs think that makes it any better. I doubt the Hornets stance on PJ changed since the summer. They likely could have gotten Washington in the summer for the current price, without making the Williams 2030 1st round pick swap detour. 

I like the players. I like the trades. How we got there, once again cost us more assets than it should have.
So you think, had the Mavs offered the deal that Cha offered PJ that PJ would’ve accepted it and Cha wouldn’t have matched? The deal THEY have shown is acceptable to them? I think had we done that, PJ would still be a Hornet. Just like Thybulle is still a Blazer. You have to go higher than the other team believes is acceptable for a player in order for the team to not match.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, mvossman
Like Reply
I’ve been saying it on Discord. Our offseason moves will be as follows:

We trade:
Gafford and 31 for Avdija
And
Pajamas and 25 for SnT Bridges

Book it!
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/5SPG_7SFkOI

He’s got a nice fake from the 3-point line to escape closeouts.

Goes left and right pretty well.

He’s got a little bully-ball in him, like Julius Randle. Willing to put his head down and drive into people, but can finish with some finesse around the hoop.
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 09:49 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’ve been saying it on Discord. Our offseason moves will be as follows:

We trade:
Gafford and 31 for Avdija
And
Pajamas and 25 for SnT Bridges

Book it!

I cannot comprehend the logic of trading Gafford back to Washington, or PJ back to Charlotte. Is that a joke?
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 07:16 PM)Branduil Wrote: I cannot comprehend the logic of trading Gafford back to Washington, or PJ back to Charlotte. Is that a joke?
It’s mostly joke, but it’s also something I can see our organization doing. How many people will be here defending the FO if it were to happen? Over/under set at 3.5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 09:44 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So you think, had the Mavs offered the deal that Cha offered PJ that PJ would’ve accepted it and Cha wouldn’t have matched? The deal THEY have shown is acceptable to them? I think had we done that, PJ would still be a Hornet. Just like Thybulle is still a Blazer. You have to go higher than the other team believes is acceptable for a player in order for the team to not match.

No I´m saying they should have offered the Hornets the same deal in the summer (that they have done now), instead of first wasting a 1st round pick swap on Williams.
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 02:50 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No I´m saying they should have offered the Hornets the same deal in the summer (that they have done now), instead of first wasting a 1st round pick swap on Williams.

Who says we didn’t though? That whole situation didn’t have much reported on it other than we showed interest in PJ. We didn’t have leverage in that situation (or the in Grant situation for that matter but he was less valuable to the incumbent team).
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 02:50 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No I´m saying they should have offered the Hornets the same deal in the summer (that they have done now), instead of first wasting a 1st round pick swap on Williams.

How do we know they didn't make that offer? I'm not saying they did, but I'm sure they touched base with the Hornets.
Like Reply

Who knows what deal was offered or asked for, but its possible the asking price was similar to what they just paid and they thought GWill for a swap made more sense than PJ for a first.  No doubt they likely would have been better off going the PJ route from the beginning.  Good thing they had several good moves in addition to this one bad one.
Like Reply
a new interview dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmUGwSmOvlw
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 04:54 PM)Jym Wrote: a new interview dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmUGwSmOvlw

Nice to hear the word "defense" coming out of his mouth every few minutes.
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 05:23 PM)Winter Wrote: Nice to hear the word "defense" coming out of his mouth every few minutes.

He defended his ass off in game 1, too. Here's hoping he keeps that up!
Like Reply

Grant Afseth basically went play by play for Washington's first game breaking down all the good things he did.

Great watch.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 05:23 PM)Winter Wrote: Nice to hear the word "defense" coming out of his mouth every few minutes.

He clearly understands the assignment.  I was much higher on his defense than the rest of the board (felt like Killer was the only one with me that believed he can be more than competent on that end) but even I was surprised to see us put him on Shai in his first game, even more surprised to watch him hold his own and create some turnovers in that matchup.
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 05:46 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: He clearly understands the assignment.  I was much higher on his defense than the rest of the board (felt like Killer was the only one with me that believed he can be more than competent on that end) but even I was surprised to see us put him on Shai in his first game, even more surprised to watch him hold his own and create some turnovers in that matchup.

I was riding shotgun with KL on that one. Have coveted PJ for years as our Maxi “replacement.” I don’t think he has Maxi’s timing on weak side blocks, but then few do. He also isn’t quite as solidly built as Maxi to bang with centers. But makes up for that in other ways. 

I really believe you can count on one hand the number of guys in the NBA that have their defensive skill set that can also stretch the floor. The fact that we have two is amazing. We match up so much better with LAC and Phoenix now. And Gafford helps us with Denver, Minny and other bigger teams. An absolute coup at any cost.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-11-2024, 10:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It’s mostly joke, but it’s also something I can see our organization doing. How many people will be here defending the FO if it were to happen? Over/under set at 3.5.

What's the over/under that someone will whine about a trade or lack of a trade? 100%?
Like Reply
Great discussion here about the new look Mavs, based on the Thunder game. These guys are real and watch a lot of basketball. The Mavericks portion is the first segment.

https://youtu.be/XDKxD3FNcMQ?si=7QnUCcYq7Fhl0ce-
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2024, 11:14 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Great discussion here about the new look Mavs, based on the Thunder game. These guys are real and watch a lot of basketball. The Mavericks portion is the first segment.

https://youtu.be/XDKxD3FNcMQ?si=7QnUCcYq7Fhl0ce-

The Dunker's Spot is the best bball content out there in my opinion.
Like Reply
(02-12-2024, 10:48 PM)MFFL Wrote: What's the over/under that someone will whine about a trade or lack of a trade? 100%?
About the same as someone whining about having to read too many trade posts.
Like Reply

As others have said, it's hard to know what was offered over the summer.  PJ's value was definitely higher this past summer than at this trade deadline.  He was not having a good season prior to this trade deadline.  He was significantly better last season and it's possible he was worth more than the 2027 1st to Charlotte.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post though.  We continue to include draft assets as if they are party favors.  The 2030 pick swap for Grant Williams is among the worst examples of this and is far worse than the 2027 1st we gave up for PJ Washington.

The farther into the future the draft pick is, the riskier is the move.  The MLE was probably a fair value contract for Grant Williams over the summer.  Providing the option to swap picks with Wembanyama's team in 7 years was an idiot's move.  We could have easily just rejected Reggie Bullock's team option and signed Grant Williams for the MLE without the pick swap.  It's as if we didn't even bother to review Boston's cap situation prior to the offer.   

I like our current team and think we now have a top-10 roster in the NBA.  I think we can be competitive in the playoffs with every team other than Boston.  

However, we are also a Luka trade request from catastrophe.  There is no more hopeless situation in professional sports than an NBA lottery team who doesn't control it's own draft picks for 4 consecutive seasons.  I can rationalize every other deal except the 2030 pick swap.  That seems like just pure Mark Cuban.  The good news is he is no longer the majority owner.  He may still have a voice but he has to answer to someone else now.
Like Reply