Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.52%
19 65.52%
No
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
Any trade at all?
Like Reply
small or BIG?
Like Reply
I think no, other than perhaps something really small.

Mavs have bad contracts for trade purposes and unless someone really falls in love with THJ, I just don't see anything serious happening. Guys like Kuzma or Grant will be unlikely available for 1 FRP while guys like Washington, Edwards or Avdija (often mentioned around here) are not worth a FRP and worth more than the rest of assets Mavs have (especially paired with not great contracts we can offer).
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
The smart money is on "NO"...although my heart is holding out some hope for PJ Washington. I think they can afford him if they want (without using the pick).
Like Reply
I am a feared the Mavs will make a desperation trade before the deadline.

May the basketball gods smile upon them...and give us what we need.
Like Reply
I'm thinking no, because they won't trade GWill or Kyrie. Their goal is to dump Holmes, but the price of that is too high right now.

They need a starting PF, but it's not going to happen if GWill is off the block.
Like Reply
there is a decent chance for a buyout, but thats not a trade. Given most of the rumors, I kind of hope they don't make a trade.
Like Reply
I think they do something small. I can see them grabbing a big from one of these tanking teams. Someone who would basically replace Morris on the roster, but grab some of the minutes from Powell, Kleber, Holmes.

Maybe its someone with size/rebounding like Drummond. Or someone who can shoot a little like Olynk.

Detroit:
Gallinari
Muscala
Wiseman??

Spurs:
Osman

Charlotte:
Nick Richards

Raptors:
Boucher
Thad Young
Otto Porter

I dont see the big move being this year. If the 1st rounder is off the table then i dont see us getting anything of significance. I'd rather hold on to Hardy, Green, OMax, draft capital for the off season.

Guys like Holmes, Powell, Curry are 100% expendable but i doubt anyone wants them.

I'd be ok with extracting some value for GWill or Kleber. Maybe even THJ.
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 01:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The smart money is on "NO"...although my heart is holding out some hope for PJ Washington. I think they can afford him if they want (without using the pick).

PJ is the guy I want too. He can be our New (and improved) Maxi. He has positional versatility on both ends and can both space the floor next to Lively or be the small ball 5 if we want to go 5-out, which we will NEED to be able to do in the playoffs. I even think he fits in a future context next to Omax and Lively. He fits our “two timelines.” 

PJ is just a much more skilled player off the bounce or even as a passer when compared with G-Will, DJJ or Maxi. I think he would unlock all types of lineup combinations the work well together on offense AND defense. He’s on a very fair contract. Career wise a good 3 point shooter with a nice stroke. Not worried about %’s this year. I would trade the 2027 for him with the right protections. Assuming this deal would involve Holmes and a small contract like Seth going out, we hang onto THJ for spacing and a bigger summer deal. Lively, PJ, Luka, Green, Irving, Exum, Hardaway, GWill and a mothballed Maxi, DJJ and Hardy for spark or matchups is our 2024 playoff rotation. DJJ is the odd man out in this equation. Prefer Grant Williams spacing and physicality for the playoffs.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 02:02 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: PJ is the guy I want too. He can be our New (and improved) Maxi. He has positional versatility on both ends and can both space the floor next to Lively or be the small ball 5 if we want to go 5-out, which we will NEED to be able to do in the playoffs. I even think he fits in a future context next to Omax and Lively. He fits our “two timelines.” 

PJ is just a much more skilled player off the bounce or even as a passer when compared with G-Will, DJJ or Maxi. I think he would unlock all types of lineup combinations the work well together on offense AND defense. He’s on a very fair contract. Career wise a good 3 point shooter with a nice stroke. Not worried about %’s this year. I would trade the 2027 for him with the right protections. Assuming this deal would involve Holmes and a small contract like Seth going out, we hang onto THJ for spacing and a bigger summer deal. Lively, PJ, Luka, Green, Irving, Exum, Hardaway, GWill and a mothballed Maxi, DJJ and Hardy for spark or matchups is our 2024 playoff rotation. DJJ is the odd man out in this equation. Prefer Grant Williams spacing and physicality for the playoffs.

The "problem" with 2027 pick is that it can't convert into 2028 FRP, only SRP. So any serious protections take a huge amount of its value. It means the trading team will get either a bad pick or a second rounder. But if Mavs trade such a pick, they also lose the ability to trade the real value of it. That is why their only realistic option imho is to trade either unprotected or a very lightly protected (like top4) FRP. I don't think PJ is worth that. But, he is for sure worth more than a crappy contract like Holmes and a couple of second rounders. Not sure, can we get some other draft assets back from Charlotte if we give 2027? They don't have any other picks but their own and they are likely not trading that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I don't want this to happen, but I'm worried Cuban will get Kuzma at the deadline. Just seems like a Cuban move. I'd prefer PJ or wait until the summer when we can go all in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Of course they'll make a trade.
They have to.

Imagine what happens if they don't do anything but gets pounded on the boards and gets bullied in the paint by the team they face in the play-in.
or.. just imagine losing in the play-in..

Just think about a frustrated Luka who'd he honest enough to blurt out: "we're just too small"
The press and the fans would burn Nico for not doing anything to address that glaring weakness.

They'd make a trade that's for sure. Probably not Kuzma who I think they're targeting based on what Cuban said. The price is just too high. I'm predicting the trade hovers around the likes of Olynyk, Boucher, someone the fans wouldn't get excited about.
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 02:30 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't want this to happen, but I'm worried Cuban will get Kuzma at the deadline. Just seems like a Cuban move.  I'd prefer PJ or wait until the summer when we can go all in.

Doing nothing would be so much better than giving up a 1st, even a garden variety one, let alone the UNPROTECTED, down the road prospect kind, for Kuzma. I share your worry.

(01-30-2024, 02:31 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Imagine what happens if they don't do anything but gets pounded on the boards and gets bullied in the paint by the team they face in the play-in.
or.. just imagine losing in the play-in..

I've imagined it. I don't agree this is a reason to make a bad trade. We're all in favor of a good one! But, I'm not sure even a good trade will definitively prevent that scenario from happening. The team is so young and so injured and so coached by Jason Kidd.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, LifeAquatic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 02:30 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't want this to happen, but I'm worried Cuban will get Kuzma at the deadline. Just seems like a Cuban move.  I'd prefer PJ or wait until the summer when we can go all in.

When Cuban said someone 6'9" who can handle the ball a little -- Kuzma immediately came to my mind.
Then again.. Deni fits that profile too.

But I'm guessing the Mavs would back out of any talks (if there really are any), as the Wiz would be asking too much (for Kuz, Deni or Gafford).

PJ is good get.
But I'm hoping for Jalen Smith (player option, would be in a 3-way jam with Siakam and Toppin).

Although, I'm already preparing for an Olynyk/Boucher type of move from the Mavs.
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 02:39 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Boucher

Forgot about this one. Very similar salary as Holmes. I wouldn't mind if Mavs paid a SRP in such a deal. I doubt Toronto can get more at any point.
Like Reply
I am going to say no. I just don't think it adds up. I think they would move Grant but that would looks pretty bad trading him after just trading for him. So it would need to be a clear upgrade. I just don't see it. No one is going to want Holmes for the next year and a half. He will at least be a salary this offseason. I think they would move Hardaway too, but I don't think you find an upgrade for him for what he does to this team this trade deadline. I wouldn't trade Hardy or Omax. I am not sure if either has much value, so I would rather hold on to them. At the very least to build up their value, but maybe much more.

That leaves me with Seth. He seems like someone who won't be here next year and may not have a role when everyone is healthy. He has been shooting poorly but you expect that to even out. It is just a weird fit trying to find playing room for another undersized non defending guard. So is there a comparable big guy that may fit better here? Three way for Drummond?? Someone else?
Like Reply
Most definitely.

The franchise will be a national joke if they miss the playoffs again with prime Luka. Cubans ego can’t handle that.
Like Reply
Either the Mavs will do a trade and make a lot of posters unhappy or they DON'T do a trade and make a lot of posters unhappy.

This board seems to like being unhappy.
[-] The following 5 users Like MFFL's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-30-2024, 03:18 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Most definitely.

The franchise will be a national joke if they miss the playoffs again with prime Luka. Cubans ego can’t handle that.

But...can a trade guarantee they make the playoffs? Or, are you just saying they'll feel desperate to do ANYTHING?

(01-30-2024, 03:32 PM)MFFL Wrote: Either the Mavs will do a trade and make a lot of posters unhappy or they DON'T do a trade and make a lot of posters unhappy.

This board seems to like being unhappy.

I can live with a good trade and I can live with no trade. Only a bad trade will make me unhappy. I hope they can avoid making me unhappy, lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Just looked at the standings. We have a little cushion over the current 9 seeds. So maybe not that desperate
Like Reply