Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current roster - player tradability tier list
Tier lists have become quite popular in recent years. Meanwhile, it's trade season. I figured I would rank the Mavs' current roster by tiers - S (untouchable), A (only for a well-fitting star), B (sure, in the right circumstances), C (more trade bait than not), and D (dump if possible). Only counting our 15 non-2-way players.

S tier - Luka and Lively. Exum is close.
A tier - Exum, Kyrie (will likely descend a tier yearly), OMax, DJJ
B tier - Grant Williams, Josh Green
C tier - Seth, Hardy, Maxi, Morris, Powell
D tier - Oof. THJ, Holmes.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 04:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Tier lists have become quite popular in recent years. Meanwhile, it's trade season. I figured I would rank the Mavs' current roster by tiers - S (untouchable), A (only for a well-fitting star), B (sure, in the right circumstances), C (more trade bait than not), and D (dump if possible). Only counting our 15 non-2-way players.

B tier - Grant Williams, Josh Green
D tier - Oof. THJ, Holmes.

I'd have THJ in the B tier and replace him with Powell in the D tier, he's been pretty good as a sixth man. 

I see Holmes is ruled out for tonight's game for personal reasons which makes me wonder if a trade is already brewing
Like Reply
I would probably have some different but just my opinion.

I guess the only issue I have is Luka is the only untouchable.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 05:14 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I'd have THJ in the B tier and replace him with Powell in the D tier, he's been pretty good as a sixth man. 

I see Holmes is ruled out for tonight's game for personal reasons which makes me wonder if a trade is already brewing

I wanted to put Powell in the D tier, but then KL and Dan would roast me as a hater. Would be different if we had a better coach *and* a better option at backup center. As for THJ, his 3p% has plummeted, and he's a bad defensive fit with Luka and Kyrie.

(01-05-2024, 05:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would probably have some different but just my opinion.

I guess the only issue I have is Luka is the only untouchable.

Nah, Lively is untouchable. Jokic, Chet, and perhaps Wemby are the only centers in the league I'd rather have.
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 05:14 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I see Holmes is ruled out for tonight's game for personal reasons which makes me wonder if a trade is already brewing

Holmes has been out for personal reasons for the previous game too. Not sure about games before that
Like Reply
S tier - Luka 
A tier - Lively, Exum, Kyrie
B tier - DJJ, Omax
C tier - Maxi, Green
D tier - GW, THJ, Seth, Hardy
E tier - Morris, Powell, Holmes

F tier - Kidd and his assistants
[-] The following 4 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
S - Luka
A - Kyrie, Lively, Exum, OMax, Hardy
B - DJJ, Green
C - Maxi, Williams, Seth, Morris
D - Powell, THJ, Holmes
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Go ahead and throw any FRP in A tier as well
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
S - Luka. Untouchable.

A - Kyrie, Lively. Only trade for a young All-Star that fits Luka's timeline (Realistic example: IngramGarland, Mitchell).

B - DJJ, Green, Exum, OMax, Hardy. All are valuable, only trade for a fitting starter caliber player (Realistic example: Markkanen, Vassell).

C - THJ, Williams, Powell, Seth, Maxi, Morris. Not paying for them to go away, fillers in a trade for a better fitting bench or starting piece (Realistic example: Hayward).

D - Holmes. Our only BAD contract. Would require Hardy, O-Max or 2 2nds for a team to receive him for an expiring (Realistic example: Holmes, 2 2nds for Gary Harris).
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 6 users Like HAguiar95's post:
  • ballsrchr, loki, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, mvossman, The Jom
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 05:51 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: S - Luka. Untouchable.

A - Kyrie, Lively. Only trade for a young All-Star that fits Luka's timeline (Realistic example: IngramGarland, Mitchell).

B - DJJ, Green, Exum, OMax, Hardy. All are valuable, only trade for a fitting starter caliber player (Realistic example: Markkanen, Vassell).

C - THJ, Williams, Powell, Seth, Maxi, Morris. Not paying for them to go away, fillers in a trade for a better fitting bench or starting piece (Realistic example: Hayward).

D - Holmes. Our only BAD contract. Would require Hardy, O-Max or 2 2nds for a team to receive him for an expiring (Realistic example: Holmes, 2 2nds for Gary Harris).

Good list. The only change I would make is bumping Hardy down to C. Maxi might join Holmes in D tier before long if he's not careful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
S - Luka, Lively
A - Kyrie (although to Cuban, Kyrie will be in the untouchable tier)
B - Exum, DJJ (probably can't afford to re-sign him anyway)

Everyone else can and should be shopped!
Like Reply

Really good list. I agree with Loki though that Maxi probably should be in the D list until he shows that he can actually play basketball again at a reasonable level.
Like Reply
(01-07-2024, 12:02 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: S - Luka, Lively
A - Kyrie (although to Cuban, Kyrie will be in the untouchable tier)
B - Exum, DJJ (probably can't afford to re-sign him anyway)

Everyone else can and should be shopped!

nice list

i dont see what everyone has with josh green. he doesnt has it...

i know we are in a win now mode, but to me omax is also in tier B
Like Reply

Agree with all of this with the exception that I would put Holmes in the C list from the standpoint that I would not pay anything for him to go away.  There is no need.  In the upcoming offseason he will be expiring and very useful as trade fodder.  If we need to dump him (say to make room for DJJ) then we do it then when it would be less costly than now.
Like Reply
Not sure if you mean players we want to trade or players with a market. Luka and Lively are our most valuable assets. Kyrie is probably tradable now. Omax, Hardy, and Green have trade value. Powell has a great contract and has value. DJJ would be top tier but his future contract eligibility is murky so don’t know what to make of that. I don’t know if the Mavs can keep him, so maybe you deal. Exum is very valuable now. Maxi and Holmes have negative value except Holmes will soon be expiring. THj is below neutral value but you could get something for him. Same with Grant. The Mavs have better assets now than they did last year, IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:19 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Not sure if you mean players we want to trade or players with a market. Luka and Lively are our most valuable assets. Kyrie is probably tradable now.  Omax, Hardy, and Green have trade value. Powell has a great contract and has value. DJJ would be top tier but his future contract eligibility is murky so don’t know what to make of that. I don’t know if the Mavs can keep him, so maybe you deal. Exum is very valuable now. Maxi and Holmes have negative value except Holmes will soon be expiring. THj is below neutral value but you could get something for him. Same with Grant. The Mavs have better assets now than they did last year, IMO.

Yeah, you missed the whole point. It's not about value. It's about how I look at the idea of them being traded, which I would figure would also be reflected in the posted lists of other people in this thread.
Like Reply
I was so against bringing or having Kyrie here. But he's won me over this season. I wouldn't trade him during the season.

We let Brunson go. Sending Kyrie on his way would deprive the team of what Brunson provided in the 2022 playoffs and what Kyrie can provide now. We'd just have to find another top tier scorer/creator so that Luka doesn't have to be the sole scorer/creator.

I'm up for rolling with this for this season: Luka, Kyrie, Exum, DJJ, Lively

Seems like Timmy and maybe Grant are fairly important for this season, but I'd trade them if it was an obvious upgrade.

I don't think I'd trade O-Max because I want to see what he can become, and he wouldn't bring much back anyway.

Essentially, I think the team is good enough this season that I don't want trades that torpedo the season. The starting 5 above, with our depth, gives this Mavs team a chance at long playoff run, imho.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • MFFL, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
UPDATE:
B tier - Josh Green
D tier - Grant Williams, THJ, Holmes.

We need out from under GWill's contract, in spite of his locker room value and the risks of trading away a free agent in year one.

Goodness gracious, does this roster still need work. Imagine it without Lively, Exum, and DJJ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 01:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Goodness gracious, does this roster still need work. Imagine it without Lively, Exum, and DJJ.

I think Grant will still contribute, maybe that's just me. 

Also, I think removing three of the top five players from any roster would cause major problems.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(01-08-2024, 06:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Yeah, you missed the whole point. It's not about value. It's about how I look at the idea of them being traded, which I would figure would also be reflected in the posted lists of other people in this thread.

Yeah, the idea of trading a player pretty much entirely depends on return outside of Luka. I don’t really get attached to professional players. Just want my team to win.
Like Reply