Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 36: Portland Trailblazers (9-25) vs. Dallas Mavericks (21-15)| 103-139 WIN!
(01-05-2024, 11:34 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I don't want to overreact to just one game but I'm ready to drop Markieff Morris and convert Greg Brown to a standard contract.  There's an NBA rotation player there who just needs to be developed.

Morris fully guarantees on the 10th (next week).
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 11:23 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: It doesn’t help that Luka treats Green like he did Javale McGee. Anytime there’s a mistake, he’ll be getting yelled at. Josh plays way less scared when Luka isn’t playing.

I have noticed a few, but I'm not in the games to know more, does Luka do that too to THJ? Powell? does Green get the bulk of Luka's ire?
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 12:50 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I have noticed a few, but I'm not in the games to know more, does Luka do that too to THJ? Powell? does Green get the bulk of Luka's ire?

I think Luka yelling at Green is greatly exaggerated. There was one instance early in the game against Utah, where Mavs got into transition, Kessler was on Luka and he demanded the ball. Green looked him off for a really terrible drive that got blocked. I never noticed Luka would treat Green differently than any other guy and I think Luka is mostly positive towards teammates. 

Since several guys are thriving next to Luka (Luka makes many guys look great), Green can't be made a Luka problem, imho.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Jmaciscool, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-05-2024, 11:34 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I don't want to overreact to just one game but I'm ready to drop Markieff Morris and convert Greg Brown to a standard contract.  There's an NBA rotation player there who just needs to be developed.
Yes. This is the way to use the two way spots. AJ is a perfect example. Player spends a few years on a two way contract. Earns a standard contract at the minimum with maybe a team option 2nd year. Boom. We get to develop a player for 4-5 years for free. No draft pick or roster spot needed

If we make a trade at the deadline sending out multiple players, it would be nice to see Lawson converted. Brown too but might as well keep him two way while he still has that eligibility
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 07:27 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Luka yelling at Green is greatly exaggerated. There was one instance early in the game against Utah, where Mavs got into transition, Kessler was on Luka and he demanded the ball. Green looked him off for a really terrible drive that got blocked. I never noticed Luka would treat Green differently than any other guy and I think Luka is mostly positive towards teammates. 

Since several guys are thriving next to Luka (Luka makes many guys look great), Green can't be made a Luka problem, imho.

Green is mentally weak.  Thats why I never wanted to give him a big deal some were asking for. So I wouldn’t say it’s a Luka problem. I just don’t think their personalities mesh. 

Plus the ball moves a lot more without Luka. With Luka, it’s go stand in your designated spot behind the three point line. Hard to get a rhythm as a player.
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 08:35 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Yes. This is the way to use the two way spots. AJ is a perfect example. Player spends a few years on a two way contract. Earns a standard contract at the minimum with maybe a team option 2nd year. Boom. We get to develop a player for 4-5 years for free. No draft pick or roster spot needed

If we make a trade at the deadline sending out multiple players, it would be nice to see Lawson converted. Brown too but might as well keep him two way while he still has that eligibility

With the expectation that 2-way guys are long shots, I like the shot on Brown.  I am shocked he is only 6'7.   Just by watching and seeing how he plays, I would have guessed 6'10.   He is rough around the edges and those may not get ironed out.  It is a good gamble to see if you can iron those out though.  He is a classic case what he may have been if he stayed in college for 3 years.  Back then, top 10 recruits didn't stick around.  Now will NIL money, maybe he might have.   He really needed reps.   The G league is good for this but you run the risk of being forgotten about too.  He was almost there is Dallas didn't pick him up as a two way.   

Last night you saw while Dallas wanted another guard.   Just someone to run the offense in case of injury or running out a game.   Dallas had a few times where they gave up runs with a comfortable lead.   I still like Dexter Dennis though.   It looks like he stuck around with the legends.   It is probably his best shot to get another two way in time.
Like Reply
That effort last night was almost a coach is fired performance. That was really bad. Maybe it doesn't happen now, but I would be surprised if he is still the coach next season.

Why is Sharpe coming off the bench and not getting 35 minutes per night. He is really young and makes plenty of mistakes, but I think he has huge potential. Him and Murry running into each other in the third was pure comedy though.

Scoot needs a lot of work. The jumper is a huge question mark. He is only 19. He has talent you can't teach though. I am sure Portland hoped he hit the ground running. It is going to take time. There will be plenty of bad shooting and bad turnover nights. I still think he will be very good in time. The lack of shooting really sticks out like a sore thumb though.

Last night was as bad as I have seen Brogdan. There is no way he is there after the trade deadline imo. The question is where does he wind up and what it takes to get him.

A few iztok posts on OMAX. I agree with him. I think he is pretty close to being able to help on defense. But on offense he is clueless right now. He still looks confused on where to go. I would hope he would have been a little better at this. Nothing to worry about though. I just don't think he figures it out this year to get a lot of meaningful minutes.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...9558935727
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 12:28 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: A few iztok posts on OMAX.  I agree with him.  I think he is pretty close to being able to help on defense.    But on offense he is clueless right now.  He still looks confused on where to go.  I would hope he would have been a little better at this.    Nothing to worry about though.  I just don't think he figures it out this year to get a lot of meaningful minutes.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...9558935727

He's got to be right, because to my eye, O-Max is ALREADY making a noticeable impact on defense when he plays. It has to be his "baby deer" offense that's got him glued to the bench. 

Still...two catch and shoot 3's!! Bringing the ball up! Crossing dudes over and driving???!!!!

That's what more than DFS was doing his first season. Now, I admit that part of why DFS started so limited was that Carlisle (wisely) had him reigned in as means of safely putting him on the floor, but I feel like it's kind of nice to know O-Max has some confidence and some handles.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 01:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's got to be right, because to my eye, O-Max is ALREADY making a noticeable impact on defense when he plays. It has to be his "baby deer" offense that's got him glued to the bench. 

Still...two catch and shoot 3's!! Bringing the ball up! Crossing dudes over and driving???!!!!

That's what more than DFS was doing his first season. Now, I admit that part of why DFS started so limited was that Carlisle (wisely) had him reigned in as means of safely putting him on the floor, but I feel like it's kind of nice to know O-Max has some confidence and some handles.

Let's just face it - O-Max haters gonna O-Max hate.
Like Reply
(01-06-2024, 01:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's got to be right, because to my eye, O-Max is ALREADY making a noticeable impact on defense when he plays. It has to be his "baby deer" offense that's got him glued to the bench. 

I see the potential as well.  

I think the best way for him to earn regular minutes on this roster is to focus on rebounding.  If OMax could pull down 12 rebounds per 36 minutes we could play him some on the 2nd unit with Powell.   We'd lack shooting but the hustle on defense would be pretty impressive.  I'd like to see those two play with Kyrie, Hardy and Josh Green.  That grouping would be really fast and fun to watch.

Kidd is in a tough spot though as if we don't have some success this year, he probably won't be the coach next year.  OMax minutes are probably a net negative this season even if they'll make us better in the future.  

At the least, I don't want to see Markieff Morris get minutes over OMax again.  Both are liabilities currently but OMax has the potential to be pretty good someday.  Morris won't be in the NBA next season.
Like Reply