Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: OG Anunoby, Achiuwa, Flynn to NYK| Barrett, Quickley, and 2024 2nd to TOR
(12-30-2023, 11:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If Quickley is up to becoming their starting point guard, then they have effectively replaced VanVleet by moving a player they didn’t want to pay and were going to lose anyway. If Barrett is an instant rotation player who still has some upside they believe in, it gets a little better even.

It’s probably not as bad as I first thought when I reacted earlier.

And, for whatever reason, our board always forgets this, collectively, but those athletic, defensive types just aren’t ever as valuable as we think they are. The Nelson’s don’t really like players like that so the team we follow has a long history of not really having players like that, which I think causes us to cover them more than an average NBA fan would.

I hesitate to call Anunoby overrated but I think he is simply a good player.  IQ is also a good player.  It makes sense that they were traded for each other.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 04:04 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Problem is, the league has a vested interest in the Knicks being good. It would be up to the other owners to make it enough of an issue. And even then, how do you stop the colluding/tampering? Leon Rose and his son probably talk every single day.

Of course the league does. NY is the largest market and media market,  and the Knicks are a storied franchise in the NBA that had lost its way until recent success.
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 11:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If Quickley is up to becoming their starting point guard, then they have effectively replaced VanVleet by moving a player they didn’t want to pay and were going to lose anyway. If Barrett is an instant rotation player who still has some upside they believe in, it gets a little better even.

It’s probably not as bad as I first thought when I reacted earlier.

And, for whatever reason, our board always forgets this, collectively, but those athletic, defensive types just aren’t ever as valuable as we think they are. The Nelsons didn’t really like players like that so the team we follow has a long history of not really having players like that, which I think causes us to cover them more than an average NBA fan would.

There is probably something to this, but I also think those kind of players are the perfect fit next to Luka, so to some degree it makes sense to covet, especially when they can shoot and score as well.

(12-30-2023, 11:58 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I hesitate to call Anunoby overrated but I think he is simply a good player.  IQ is also a good player.  It makes sense that they were traded for each other.

I think they are closer in value than given credit for, and the contract spread will be larger than the difference in value.
Like Reply
(12-31-2023, 12:11 PM)mvossman Wrote: There is probably something to this, but I also think those kind of players are the perfect fit next to Luka, so to some degree it makes sense to covet, especially when they can shoot and score as well.

I think they are closer in value than given credit for, and the contract spread will be larger than the difference in value.

I think Anunoby will get a bump from playing with Brunson (You could make the case Luka did as well)... I will concede that there is truth in your valuations, but I also think that there will develop a spread in that value as Anunoby develops chemistry with JB, and Quickley is Captain on a tanker. Nothing hurts value like being on a team that is heading for the tank without realizing they are actually doing so (sans Antonio doing it while players were hurt)
Like Reply