Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 27: Los Angeles Clippers (17-10) vs. Dallas Mavericks (16-11)| 120-111 loss
(12-20-2023, 11:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Grant Williams is just not an answer. As an 8th man playing 20 minutes like in Boston, sure. But he's just too limited overall and fits in with the one-dimensional players that have been here. In fact, the main reason the Mavs have been able to look decent this season is because of the addition of 3 REAL 2-Way players with Lively, DJJ, and Exum.

This is why Boston let him walk. Dallas starts him, but he's a 8th or 9th man on a playoff contender. He'll score 15-20 pts every now and then, but mostly he averages less than double figures most games. He's not definitely not better than DFS was for this team.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • Nowitzki Way, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
Per Iztok, the Clippers shot 96% at the rim last night 24/25. Nuggets shot 86%.
Like Reply
(12-21-2023, 08:14 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: This is why Boston let him walk. Dallas starts him, but he's a 8th or 9th man on a playoff contender.

Yep. Boston knew what he was, and didnt want to pay him that type of money to be out of their playoff rotation. 

I think he can contribute here as a 7th/8th guy in a playoff rotation. But he's not any type of answer to what we needed. He's just a guy.
Like Reply
(12-20-2023, 11:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Grant Williams is just not an answer. As an 8th man playing 20 minutes like in Boston, sure. But he's just too limited overall and fits in with the one-dimensional players that have been here. In fact, the main reason the Mavs have been able to look decent this season is because of the addition of 3 REAL 2-Way players with Lively, DJJ, and Exum.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of size when Lively isn't available.  Dwight Powell might look better with a bigger 4 who rebounds.  Grant Williams definitely is better playing next to a center who defends the rim and rebounds.  Putting DP and Grant Williams on the court together is a problem and our opponents are punishing us for that combination.  We either need to add a bigger 4 or a bigger backup center.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(12-21-2023, 08:22 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think the biggest problem is the lack of size when Lively isn't available.  Dwight Powell might look better with a bigger 4 who rebounds.  Grant Williams definitely is better playing next to a center who defends the rim and rebounds.  Putting DP and Grant Williams on the court together is a problem and our opponents are punishing us for that combination.  We either need to add a bigger 4 or a bigger backup center.

I'm sorry, i know its easy to kick a guy when he's down. But nothing can make Dwight Powell look better.  This is not me hating the guy or some schtick. He's a terrible NBA player. He should not be getting minutes on a team with intentions of contending.
Like Reply
One positive from last night was a pretty solid game from Jaden Hardy.  He's starting to look less lost on defense as well.  In fact his Defensive EPM is at -1.3 for the season.  In comparison, THJ is at -2.5 for the season.  Hardy hasn't played a lot of minutes so that number may not have a ton of meaning but it's still encouraging.  I'd like to see Hardy take a few of THJ's minutes per game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(12-21-2023, 08:53 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: One positive from last night was a pretty solid game from Jaden Hardy.  He's starting to look less lost on defense as well.  In fact his Defensive EPM is at -1.3 for the season.  In comparison, THJ is at -2.5 for the season.  Hardy hasn't played a lot of minutes so that number may not have a ton of meaning but it's still encouraging.  I'd like to see Hardy take a few of THJ's minutes per game.

For the most part, he hasn't been good this year.   I hope it is the regular up and down of a young player trying to find a footing.   Last year was hopeless for the team.  He was just going out there and trying to score.   This year, when he is in the game it matters.    Learning to play when your minutes matter is a process, and not just trying to get 18 points in a meaningless game.   It is probably difficult for him too because he has played one way for most of his career.   There needs to be an adjustment for the role he is currently in.   I just feel like he has the ability to make shots in big situations.    His other parts of his game needs growth.  I also like how Kidd has found minutes for him even when the team is healthy.   I think that shows they have bigger hopes for him moving forward.  Still needs plenty of development.  The team was probably hoping he would force Kidd to give him minutes.  That hasn't happened yet, but maybe it is something we see as the years goes on.
Like Reply
(12-21-2023, 08:18 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Yep. Boston knew what he was, and didnt want to pay him that type of money to be out of their playoff rotation. 

I think he can contribute here as a 7th/8th guy in a playoff rotation. But he's not any type of answer to what we needed. He's just a guy.

He is a quality rotational 3&D guy.  Thats the most you can generally hope for from the MLE.  We need as many of those guys as we can get.  Its why we also tried to get Thybulle.  The metrics have shown for years that the more of those guys you surround Luka with the better.

But he is not what you would call a quality starter.  That's been the complaint about this team for years.  Its a couple of starters and a lot of 6th and 7th guys.  We added at least one starter with Lively.  But its hard to get legit starters with the MLE.  Dan has been saying for a while that what this team needs is a legit PF starter to push GWill to the bench, and I tend to agree.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply