Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 106, Kings 110
Mavs Come Up Short in Comeback Thriller at the AAC

After going behind by 24 points in the third quarter, the Mavericks cut the deficit to 16 in the middle of the fourth. Then, they went on a 16-2 run to draw within 2 inside the 1-minute mark. Our boys got a stop, but Luka missed his last shot, with the help of an uncalled bump on the arm, and the hole they had dug turned out to have been just a little too deep. Very good fight down the stretch!

Game Story

Delon Wright was out with his adductor strain. Aaron Fox and Marvin Bagley were out of action for Sacramento. 

As Tim Hardaway said, the Kings came out and "punched us in the mouth."  It was the fourth game in six nights for Dallas, and they looked like they might be running on fumes. The Mavericks couldn't buy a stop, and weren't so great on the offensive end, either. By halftime, the league's best offense had produced 46 points, while Sac had rollicked and danced their way to 66. The guys played much better in the second half offensively, but they just couldn't slow the Kings down. After Luka and Hardaway came back in the fourth, the team clamped down on both ends of the court and almost shut their opponents down in a valiant comeback try, but in the end, they were a day late and a dollar short. 

Reasons for the Loss

The box score told almost no story in terms of category differentials. The Mavs faced a white-hot shooting barrage from Sacramento, and offered little in the way of resistance until they broke out their matchup zone late in the third, and the game began to turn a bit. The referees were very much in a let-them-play mode, with only 27 personal fouls called, and only 19 combined free throws attempted. The closing unit consisted of Barea/Doncic/THJ/DFS/Porzingis, until the last 34 seconds, when situational subs began. The Kings' Nemanja Bjelica and Buddy Hield torched the home team with 56 points, including 9 threes, on 23-33 shooting, and Bjelica recording a career high with 30 points. 

Players 

Porzingis led the team with 37 minutes, and produced 13 points and 8 rebounds. It feels like he had more of an impact on the game than his stats would indicate. He had the last made basket for the Mavs, with a great quick clock-saving turnaround fadeaway that took only 5 seconds. Despite the loss, he seemed to be making progress in the match, fitting more comfortably in with his teammates. 

Hardaway had a superlative night, and it was heartbreaking to see it come to naught. He was the team's leading scorer, putting up an amazing career-high 9 of 12 triples, and going 10-13 overall. He kept the Mavs in the game for long stretches. 

DFS had 13 points, including three threes, and 8 rebounds. He executed a highlight reel play with a steal at his own basket, followed by a coast-to-coast transition run for a slam.

Luka didn't have an amazing night by his own standards, but was a solid 27-7-8 in 35 minutes. That line set a record, and he leaped over Michael Jordan as the player with the longest streak of games with at least a 20-5-5 performance since the ABA-NBA merger, at 19. Next up is Oscar Robertson, who had three such streaks at 19, 25, and 29.

Doncic seemed quite engaged with the refs, yapping at them on an almost constant basis, not without reason in many cases. He drew a technical near the end of the first quarter for gesturing at one of the refs. The postgame presentation showed video of Courtney Lee and Mark Cuban on the sideline, trying to urge him to turn his attention away from the officiating. Harp said that if Mark Cuban tells you to lay off the refs, you know you're carrying it a little too far. Carlisle allowed that Luka had a case in some situations, but he declined to analyze it publicly and thus coach Luka through the media. Luka himself admitted that he allows himself to get too distracted by the officials sometimes, saying that sometimes he just needs to calm down and go on to the next play. 

Much has been made of the contact on the elbow on the last shot, which the refs either didn't see, or decided not to call. Porzingis said he thought there was some contact, but said the refs are not going to get everything right, and he thinks it was "all right."

It should be noted that the Mavs' comeback didn't really take fire until Luka and Tim re-entered the game in the fourth quarter. Whether Luka is making shots or not, he has a massive impact on the game. 

Barea got a 19-minute runout, and provided a much-needed burst of energy. I thought he played pretty well, although the sizable Kings took some advantage of his diminutive proportions. The Mavs were a team-high +14 when he was on the court. 

Bench. The bench didn't provide its usual boost tonight, scoring only 18 points, despite playing high minutes. 

Former Mavs.  Harrison Barnes and Yogi Ferrell both made an appearance. Barnes was 13-7-5 in 38 minutes, and Yogi had 6 points and 4 assists off the bench. 

Remarks

Carlisle found the match very disappointing. He said the Kings came out very dialed in and with a physical presence, and the Mavs didn't respond well or play well. He thought the second half went much better, but felt that the first quarter killed them. He didn't accept fatigue as an excuse, and in fact said he thought there was no excuse. Hardaway acknowledged that there was a lot of frustration in the locker room, and was disappointed that his career night didn't result in a win. 

My impressions. I am not sure I know what to make of this one. Despite Carlisle's no-excuse policy, I think playing this many games in so few nights is bound to have taken a toll, even on these young bodies. Harp noted that the Mavs used a great deal of energy in the comeback, and might have just run out of gas a little bit at the very end. 

I think the positives in this game, apart from Hardaway's sterling night, center around their spectacular comeback attempt. They can build some confidence, knowing how well they played at the end, almost pulling off an unlikely victory. One could disagree with the reffing, but I don't blame the loss on that. The Mavs played badly for much of the game, and they can't take refuge in blaming the loss on officiating mistakes. If they had played up to their usual standards, the refs wouldn't have been in a position to change the game at the end of the line. 

Sometimes, things just don't go your way. I think this was one of those nights in the NBA, and hopefully, it will prove to be a good learning experience for the team. They have had some difficulties with very physical teams, and this match will provide fodder for improvement. 

Next. The Mavs will take on the Pistons Thursday in Mexico City. I look for a good response to this loss.

The incident with Cuban interceding with Luka occurred after the first quarter. As reported by McMahon, Luka went onto the court to confront the officials. Barea and Boban joined Lee in urging him not to do so, afraid he would draw a second T and an ejection. Cuban sprinted over to add his two cents to the issue. 

McMahon reports that Luka said after the game that he knows he is too animated with the officials, citing his passion for the game. He said sometimes the refs are wrong, sometimes he is wrong, everyone makes mistakes. And that he needs to be calmer. 

Coop observed that Luka has to accept that he can't complain after every call, because the refs just tune you out in that circumstance. He feels that Luka gets a lot of respect from the officials already, shooting 9 FTAs per game, fourth in the league. 

Coop also views it as a problem that Luka is shooting 26% on threes in the last 7 games, on 10 attempts per game, often on very difficult shots. He thinks it would be beneficial if Luka took a few less step backs, and a few more catch-and-shoots.
Like Reply
Well, if no-one else is going to comment...

Firstly, great work as always, I missed these recaps the seasons you were away.

A disappointing loss, but definitely positive in the sense that we’ve seen once again that this team has what it takes to make big comebacks, which is something you expect more from veteran teams.

As for Porzingis, I noticed he was going HARD after rebounds during the comeback, impressed me a lot with his hustle.

I probably missed it being spoken about, but it’s interesting to see Don Knobler courtside again; almost feels nostalgic seeing him there again...
Like Reply
A radio host said this morning that Rick invited some reporters into his office after the game and showed them game tape of fouls on Luka. Maybe he's hoping that they write on the topic. It'll be interesting to see if we get some "Luka's getting fouled a lot" articles.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 09:04 AM)fifteenth Wrote: A radio host said this morning that Rick invited some reporters into his office after the game and showed them game tape of fouls on Luka. Maybe he's hoping that they write on the topic. It'll be interesting to see if we get some "Luka's getting fouled a lot" articles.
I thought that was interesting, and seemed pretty un-Rick-like. I wonder if Cuban asked him to do that.
Like Reply
With the way that Phoenix and Sacramento in particular basically tried to play bully-ball against us, I think that is going to be the book on playing the Mavs. Rick sees that as the way teams are going to continue to try to play us from now on and he's trying to get ahead of it.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 10:55 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 09:04 AM)fifteenth Wrote: A radio host said this morning that Rick invited some reporters into his office after the game and showed them game tape of fouls on Luka. Maybe he's hoping that they write on the topic. It'll be interesting to see if we get some "Luka's getting fouled a lot" articles.
I thought that was interesting, and seemed pretty un-Rick-like. I wonder if Cuban asked him to do that.

I wonder if it served a dual purpose. 

1. Speak to the league through the media. Get the idea that Luka is nightly getting hammered into public consciousness.  

2. Let Luka know that you're working on the issue through other channels as you tell him that he's gotta get his mind off the refs in game.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 11:17 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: With the way that Phoenix and Sacramento in particular basically tried to play bully-ball against us, I think that is going to be the book on playing the Mavs.  Rick sees that as the way teams are going to continue to try to play us from now on and he's trying to get ahead of it.
That may well be the book on how to play the Mavs. 

However, I don't think Rick showing video to a few reporters is likely to dissuade other teams from playing the Mavs physically. I suppose the hope might be to generate public complaints that would embarrass the league into calling more fouls when Luka gets hit. I am doubtful that the reporters are going to affect the refereeing, but maybe they will appease some fans who might not think the team is doing enough to support Luka in these situations. 

This issue didn't start with Luka. Players, especially stars, get hit all the time during matches, and most of those hits aren't called. The league could require tighter refereeing if the owners wanted. I am not defending wrong calls/no-calls -- the refs should be competent. Just wondering whether Rick is howling in the wilderness, and if so, why. Maybe it will do some good -- I guess there's always a chance.

(12-09-2019, 11:31 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 10:55 AM)mavsluvr Wrote:

I wonder if it served a dual purpose. 

1. Speak to the league through the media. Get the idea that Luka is nightly getting hammered into public consciousness.  

2. Let Luka know that you're working on the issue through other channels as you tell him that he's gotta get his mind off the refs in game.
Yeah, that second point sounds likely. While I don't think the league is going to pay much attention, Luka may well feel better, at least temporarily. If so, then it's worth doing.
Like Reply
Getting some of these opponents into foul trouble or getting into the bonus early on some cheap fouls is how you get them to stop doing this crap. It goes completely against long standing stereotypes, but our Euro star needs to learn the dark arts of flopping from his American counterparts. Luka certainly isn't afraid to complain to the refs after the fact, but he's light years away from guys like Harden and CP3 are at selling the foul. I almost wonder if many Euros are so sensitive about the stereotypes they go too far the other way.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 11:50 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Getting some of these opponents into foul trouble or getting into the bonus early on some cheap fouls is how you get them to stop doing this crap.  It goes completely against long standing stereotypes, but our Euro star needs to learn the dark arts of flopping from his American counterparts.    Luka certainly isn't afraid to complain to the refs after the fact, but he's light years away from guys like Harden and CP3 are at selling the foul.        I almost wonder if many Euros are so sensitive about the stereotypes they go too far the other way.
Not sure about this. Luka is one of the top foul drawers in the NBA. I'd really hate to see him start doing what JJB did when Barnes hit him and they reviewed the play for clear path foul on KP. In that play, if JJB hadn't tried so hard to sell the foul, there's a good chance he recovers the ball and the play goes on. I realize that he sold the foul the next possession down the court and got the foul on Barnes, the selling job isn't necessarily what got the ref to blow the whistle though. 

The one thing we all agree on is Luka needs to stop talking to the refs after the fact. Let RC do that, he just needs to play the game. He's got nerves of steel, except when he gets rattled by no-calls. Not sure how much RC does this before the game, but I do remember reports of coaches trying to warm refs up before the game about how the team is fouling their guys. Lots of more subtle ways to attempt to accomplish what is wanted. I think this report of RC showing reporters the fouls called on Luka is one of those attempts. I hope it is an attempt to calm Luka down during the game so he can focus more on (I said moron) his and the team's play.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 11:50 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Getting some of these opponents into foul trouble or getting into the bonus early on some cheap fouls is how you get them to stop doing this crap.  It goes completely against long standing stereotypes, but our Euro star needs to learn the dark arts of flopping from his American counterparts.    Luka certainly isn't afraid to complain to the refs after the fact, but he's light years away from guys like Harden and CP3 are at selling the foul.        I almost wonder if many Euros are so sensitive about the stereotypes they go too far the other way.

Barea is an expert flopper / exaggerator of contact.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 12:10 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
Not sure about this. Luka is one of the top foul drawers in the NBA. I'd really hate to see him start doing what JJB did when Barnes hit him and they reviewed the play for clear path foul on KP. In that play, if JJB hadn't tried so hard to sell the foul, there's a good chance he recovers the ball and the play goes on. I realize that he sold the foul the next possession down the court and got the foul on Barnes, the selling job isn't necessarily what got the ref to blow the whistle though. 

The one thing we all agree on is Luka needs to stop talking to the refs after the fact. Let RC do that, he just needs to play the game. He's got nerves of steel, except when he gets rattled by no-calls. Not sure how much RC does this before the game, but I do remember reports of coaches trying to warm refs up before the game about how the team is fouling their guys. Lots of more subtle ways to attempt to accomplish what is wanted. I think this report of RC showing reporters the fouls called on Luka is one of those attempts. I hope it is an attempt to calm Luka down during the game so he can focus more on (I said moron) his and the team's play.
Complaining about the refs, exaggerating contact, etc. are all avenues that can be pursued. 

But I think you have put your finger on what has to happen. Great as Luka is, he isn't perfect, and his Achilles' heel may be his tendency to let the refs discombobulate him. That's something that can backfire on you. We know Carlisle is working with him on it, even to the point of taking him out early recently for hanging back and arguing with the refs while his teammates ran to the defensive end of the court without him.

He just has to learn to play through it. If showing film to reporters makes him feel like the team has his back, cool beans. Luka talked about the issue to some extent last night, and it seems that he buys into the idea that he needs to calm down, but allows his powerful emotions to get away from him on occasion.  The first step to solving the problem is admitting that his own behavior is, indeed, a problem, so at least he has gotten that far. 

I feel for the guy, just as I used to feel for Dirk when the refs allowed opponents to rough him up. Carlisle said that sometimes Luka's arms are scratched and bleeding during a game.  Even big Shaq used to complain about it. A lot.  I sympathize, but still think Luka simply has to learn to control himself, as Shaq and Dirk did before him. 

Meanwhile, as you point out, Rick and Mark can work on longer-term improvement of the situation. It's never going away entirely, but there is certainly room for it to get better.
Like Reply
There's a lot of talk right now that Luka complains too much to the refs. I think you have to work the refs, it's just part of the game and he gets fouled a lot. LeBron and Harden complain on every play too. He is that tier of player so he deserves to get star treatment. There's conventional wisdom out there that working the refs will backfire, but if that was the case then Harden wouldn't be getting infinity calls for his fouls. He has the cheapest fouls in the NBA but he gets the calls consistently and his constant complaining definitely doesn't hurt him. I would argue that it more helps than hurts, especially when you are actually getting fouled. It's not going to help someone like Dorian Finney Smith, but a star like Luka absolutely needs to get more calls. He has been getting terrible no-calls at home.

I know it's annoying to watch as a fan, but if it didn't work they wouldn't be doing it. Same with flopping. It's all about gaining an advantage, and if you go to the basket every other minute you should be getting more than zero trips to the free throw line in the first quarter.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 02:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: There's a lot of talk right now that Luka complains too much to the refs. I think you have to work the refs, it's just part of the game and he gets fouled a lot. LeBron and Harden complain on every play too. He is that tier of player so he deserves to get star treatment. There's conventional wisdom out there that working the refs will backfire, but if that was the case then Harden wouldn't be getting infinity calls for his fouls. He has the cheapest fouls in the NBA but he gets the calls consistently and his constant complaining definitely doesn't hurt him. I would argue that it more helps than hurts, especially when you are actually getting fouled. It's not going to help someone like Dorian Finney Smith, but a star like Luka absolutely needs to get more calls. He has been getting terrible no-calls at home.

I know it's annoying to watch as a fan, but if it didn't work they wouldn't be doing it. Same with flopping. It's all about gaining an advantage, and if you go to the basket every other minute you should be getting more than zero trips to the free throw line in the first quarter.
When the other stars of the league do it, it’s wrong too. I think working the refs is important for players to do as well, but not in the heat of the moment when the opposition is running it back on your team. That’s what I mean by letting RC chew on their ear until there is a dead ball and you can discuss it with them, hopefully with a bit less emotion so as not to get a tech.
Like Reply
It's not wrong if it's part of the game. If the NBA wants to get rid of it they can try. A couple of years ago they were really quick to T-up guys who complained but then they stopped making it a point of emphasis again. There's no reason for the Mavs to not take every competitive advantage they can.
Like Reply
I think the reason Luka needs to corral his complaining is that he actually gets distracted from the game because of his focus on refs. Right or wrong in this case doesn't mean much except in the event that it impacts Luka's ability to play basketball.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 03:51 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think the reason Luka needs to corral his complaining is that he actually gets distracted from the game because of his focus on refs. Right or wrong in this case doesn't mean much except in the event that it impacts Luka's ability to play basketball.
I think that is the difference between Luka and Harden, CP3, LeBron, Dirk, and other famous jawers. Those guys are/were always talking with the refs, but not punching the air at a ref, making gestures at them, ceasing to play while the game is going on, or having to be restrained by teammates/the owner from having a confrontation with the refs and risking a second technical. It really is possible to take being aggressive with the officials too far. 

Luka just needs to dial it down a level. If he can't do that, and it's either/or, then probably better to just back off until he has enough time to bring himself under control. He shouldn't be out there trying to get statement technicals, unless that is something Rick tells him to do.
Like Reply
  • Sucks to lose a game that you were supposed to win, but I'm not nearly as mad as... say the loss vs. the Knicks. Reason is, this was what they call a scheduled loss. 5 in 8, 4 in 6. Plus Kings were coming in hot after a tough loss in San Antonio. In these games you have to start out extra aggressive, extra sharp, extra everything. Otherwise you'll be quickly down by 20. Yes it surely was a disappointing effort at times, but I guess we can agree that the Mavs recent play made sure this one doesn't hurt as much.
  • Plus, you have to give them credit that they fought back and actually had a shot at OT. The last six minutes were just reminiscent of the 2011 Mavs, who were similarly able to just get into another gear defensively late and completely dominate opponents. The sheer fact that both our young superstars stepped up in the clutch and made big plays on both ends is just amazing to watch. Those two are just getting started.
  • Man, get THJ some help out there! He was dynamite and for the first time I really hoped that Luka would turn to him a little more instead of his usual hero ball. Doncic was 1-for-4 from deep late and only 3-for-12 for the game. Meanwhile THJ didn't attempt a shot in the forth after going 10-for-13 and 9-for-12 from deep. That's an underrated aspect of why the Mavs lost.
  • Luka and the refs were an annoyance. I agree that he shouldn't talk that much, but then again: The stupid refs should also just call fouls that are obvious. L2M will probably confirm what we all know. And that's that the Mavs got robbed. Sure Luka has to make the freebies and god knows what would have happened on the last Kings shot or OT, but having two possible wins taken away by blatantly wrong calls is horrible.
  • Another bullet on the refs and Luka that drives me crazy: Some local reporters suggested that Luka will get more calls by shutting up. If that doesn't pinpoint the issue with these bullshit refs, I don't know. That's basically admitting that they're not objective. If somebody talks too much, your move is to T them up and not bitch back at them by not calling fouls. Do your fucking job and don't act like a fucking diva. Luka's comments after the game were A+ btw. Just a mature leader at 20.
  • JJB vs. Yogi is just fun. Good times. Also kudos to our little Puerto Rican for completely dominating Harrison Barnes defensively. LOL. To be honest though, this game showed why we were a little nervous about the possibility of Barea getting consistent minutes on this team. He and Luka don't fit at all. I'm really glad coach did the right thing and only uses JJB as spark plug.
  • Talking about Barnes: It amazes me that the Kings were pretty much running their entire offense through him when it mattered. He was 1-for-5 with two turnovers late. Sacramento obviously didn't know what to do under pressure and tried to turn to the vet. But as us MFFL know all too well this can get frustrating at times.
  • Onto the next ones: Mavs get a little rest before showcasing in Mexico and going against the East top 5.
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply
So glad to have Barnes off this team. He is close to being effective but comes up short just enough to not play winning basketball. I was impressed that he was passing more out of his drives than I ever saw him do as a Mav. He is pretty salty in the lane, but then when it matters he comes up short.

Man I wish we could play JJB more, he just is a winner. I know he's old but we can't play him 15 minutes a night? I am going to miss him when he retires, probably my favorite Mav outside of Dirk all-time.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 04:47 PM)j0Shi Wrote: [*]Man, get THJ some help out there! He was dynamite and for the first time I really hoped that Luka would turn to him a little more instead of his usual hero ball. Doncic was 1-for-4 from deep late and only 3-for-12 for the game. Meanwhile THJ didn't attempt a shot in the forth after going 10-for-13 and 9-for-12 from deep. That's an underrated aspect of why the Mavs lost.

I hadn't actually focused on that. I went back and looked, and it appears that neither THJ nor Seth took a shot in the fourth. In fact, from the time Luka and Tim re-entered the game in the fourth period, only three Mavs took a shot -- Luka, KP, and DFS. Luka took 7 of the 12 shot attempts. Coop raised the point that Luka takes a lot of very difficult three-point shot attempts, and isn't making them very often.

Interesting. 
Like Reply
Great stuff as usual ML. I think honestly you saw a group of young guys that had played more games than they are used to come out tired. Not making excuses for them. Just reality of it all. They are a very young team top to bottom. And it's a very long season. When you have been traveling and playing hard that much it wears on you until you are used to it. I know they were tired because the Kings shot so well. That was just a lack of effort on the Mavs D. D is all about effort. It's hard to give when you are tired.

Games like that will be great for later in the season though. It's going to help them know what they need to do in being prepared.
Like Reply