Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: San Antonio Spurs (0-1) vs. Dallas Mavericks (1-0)| 119-126 WIN!
[Image: F9OnPn4agAAzTiC?format=jpg&name=large]

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1716935289351159932

Mavericks media notes list this probable starting 5 for tomorrow night: Derrick Jones Jr., Grant Williams, Dereck Lively II, Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 05:42 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: [Brad Townsend] Mavericks media notes list this probable starting 5 for tomorrow night: Derrick Jones Jr., Grant Williams, Dereck Lively II, Kyrie Irving and Luka Doncic.

Okay lets try to rationalize this because it doesn't make that much sense from a talent perspective.

DJJ hit 37% on corner 3s last season. Couple that with his low usage, he makes sense to slide in next to 2 offensive powerhouses at the beginning of the game.

Defensively, DJJ is a bit bigger, perhaps the Mavs are looking for his length against guys like Wemby and Keldon Johnson. Who knows?

The bench needs more creation and scoring. There's a reason why Kidd wants THJ on the bench. If he was starting, our bench would have very little firepower. Josh has flashed his newfound self creation abilities. Perhaps Kidd wants Josh the freedom to use that in a lineup with Exum and THJ vs. Kyrie and Luka.

I don't agree with it. I see the thought process.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I'm holding out some hope that Kidd sees something I don't, but Green's position isn't really even what DJJ does well. Similar body types, but DJJ's effective moments have always been as a 4 or even a 5. I'm worried. My initial reaction is that Kidd flatly isn't into Green's game and really, really wanted O-Max to be ready on day 1. Since he clearly isn't, I think DJJ is the next dude on the "he's not Green" list. Period.

I can't wait to watch the game tomorrow to see how this works.
Like Reply
Green coming off the bench really makes little sense. Not only he is way better than DJJ, but also complicates Mavs rotation problem, as they will have 4 SG (Green, THJ, Seth, Hardy) on the bench that would all expect some minutes. I find it very difficult you can play any two of those together with Kyrie, which means two will see cose to zero minutes and another one very few. Perhaps they see Green as a better option next to Kyrie without Luka, but where do you slot in remaining SGs beats me.

The other thing - I just can't see Mavs playing with two non shooters. Opponents can easily play off DJJ and help with PnR as they can easily survive him taking those 1 or 2 wiiiiiiide open shots that he hits way below the league average. It will just kill Mavs offense imho.

This starting line-up (and contract Green got) could also show a lot about which position Mavs will be looking to upgrade.
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 06:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Okay lets try to rationalize this because it doesn't make that much sense from a talent perspective.

DJJ hit 37% on corner 3s last season. Couple that with his low usage, he makes sense to slide in next to 2 offensive powerhouses at the beginning of the game.

Defensively, DJJ is a bit bigger, perhaps the Mavs are looking for his length against guys like Wemby and Keldon Johnson. Who knows?

The bench needs more creation and scoring. There's a reason why Kidd wants THJ on the bench. If he was starting, our bench would have very little firepower. Josh has flashed his newfound self creation abilities. Perhaps Kidd wants Josh the freedom to use that in a lineup with Exum and THJ vs. Kyrie and Luka.

I don't agree with it. I see the thought process.

Chicago said something similar a week or two ago and Dameris and Followill seemed to think Jones would start and Green would start the season off the bench in their discussions today on their podcast.  They both said they suspected it wouldn't last as they saw Green having a good shot at grabbing a starting spot at some point.

Luka and Kyrie were the highest scoring duo in the league last year at 57 points a game (limited sample).  Throw in some lobs and some open 3's from Williams and I suspect the unit with Jones will score enough.  He's got good length and to the extent we play zone, he covers a lot of ground in a hurry.  Personally, I would use Jones in bench lineups with Maxi at center, but don't mind a little experimentation.  What I don't think we will see is Jones closing.  Dallas had 36 games last year where they were +/- 3 points in the last 30 seconds of the game and were sub-500 in those games.  The O-Rating and the shooting percentages in those late game situations were off the charts bad.  There is a great opportunity to pick up some wins right there, but we won't do it playing 4 against 5.

I think Green eventually gets the starting spot.  If I'm holding out hope for anything it is that being a secondary creator with only one of Luka/Kyrie on the floor gives us the version of Josh we saw Friday with Kyrie.  That might build some confidence and get him to stop deferring so much to the dual superstars when they are all playing together.  I do have some concerns about minutes as you can't play THJ, Josh and Curry and one of the superstars simultaneously.  Someone gets shorted there.

(10-24-2023, 07:28 PM)omahen Wrote:  
The other thing - I just can't see Mavs playing with two non shooters. Opponents can easily play off DJJ and help with PnR as they can easily survive him taking those 1 or 2 wiiiiiiide open shots that he hits way below the league average. It will just kill Mavs offense imho.

Dameris said Jones was 37% on corner 3's last season.  League average is 38%.  He should get better looks here, but time will tell.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
Green not starting only makes sense if the Mavs want him to be the guy who picks up the scoring load when Kyrie and Luka sits. '

At some point during the first quarter, I could see DJJ coming out and Green subbing in his place, that way you get your top 3 offensive options on the floor together before either Kyrie or Luka sits. Green gets to be number 2 for stretches that Kyrie or Luka sits, and would be number 1 if both aren't on the floor.

THJ not having a role, IMHo is Kidd's way of telling him, they're moving away from him being the 3rd option on offense. How many minutes will THJ get? That depends if Green is ready to score 14 points per game or not. If Green isn't aggressive enough in the first 10 games of the season, I'd expect either THJ or Hardy taking away minutes from him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 07:54 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  I do have some concerns about minutes as you can't play THJ, Josh and Curry and one of the superstars simultaneously.  Someone gets shorted there.

This is what I'm worried about, too.

Quote:Dameris said Jones was 37% on corner 3's last season.  League average is 38%.  He should get better looks here, but time will tell.

That's encouraging.
Like Reply
Jones is not a shooter, don't be fooled by some percentage stat from a certain spot on the floor. He shot 1 3PA per game last season and never more than 2 3PA per game in his career. Vast majority of those were wiiiide open, which means defense was leaving him wide open on three and will continue to do so, even if he doubles or tripples his attempts. He shot 18 % on those few non wiiiiiide open attempts. Can't find the exact number, but I think league average on wide open threes is higher than 37 %. I don't believe he will miracoulusly become a different player with Mavs and suddenly become a shooter.

Life for others and especially Mavs PnR will be much more difficult beause of that. And we all know Mavs with Luka are a PnR heavy team. If you stick Jones in the corner, you are basically playing 4 on 5 halfcourt offense the way Mavs are playing. Doesn't make much sense to PnR him with Lively on the floor. Jones best (and only) offense in the halfcourt was coming with him as a roller in a PnR. Unless Mavs will suddenly start playing excellent defense and fast, none of which they did before, this will imho not look good.

I also wonder, who will be first player from the bench, assuming DJJ will be first substituted. I remember some statements about wishes for THJ becoming the 6th man of the year candidate
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 07:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm holding out some hope that Kidd sees something I don't, but Green's position isn't really even what DJJ does well. Similar body types, but DJJ's effective moments have always been as a 4 or even a 5. I'm worried. My initial reaction is that Kidd flatly isn't into Green's game and really, really wanted O-Max to be ready on day 1. Since he clearly isn't, I think DJJ is the next dude on the "he's not Green" list. Period.

I can't wait to watch the game tomorrow to see how this works.

We've seen the trade a FRP for somebody the entire org apparently hates special already. Now it's time for the fresh extension perma dog house.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
In all seriousness though, the Spurs are apparently playing a weird ass starting lineup of Vassell - Johnson - Sochan - Collins - Wemby. I'd still start Green, but maybe they think DJJ is a better matchup for some reason?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I like the idea of developing djj into a Bruce Bowen for us, so he wouldn't need to do much offensively except hitting some threes from the corner. the failure to sign Thybulle will hamper us a bit early in the season but we can still get him via trade for a reasonable price since the blazers are going to tank. djj is a short term measure i guess. not just a matchup choice against spurs but a regular choice until we get Thybulle or someone similar.
Like Reply
having four shooting guards on bench is a waste of talent and i think at least two of them are viewed as trading assets that we can use to fix our weakest links later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaMVP's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 11:40 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: In all seriousness though, the Spurs are apparently playing a weird ass starting lineup of Vassell - Johnson - Sochan - Collins - Wemby. I'd still start Green, but maybe they think DJJ is a better matchup for some reason?

Interesting. So, they are playing without a PG. I guess they will stick Wemby on Jones and it will be interesting to see his help defense. I am affraid it will create many problems for Mavs. If nothing else, Pop is a coaching genius.
Like Reply
It’s a terrible idea to play multiple guys who can’t shoot the three ball against Wemby. He’ll just save his energy „defending“ Jones while collapsing into the paint every time.

We better hope Luka and Kyrie bring their iso step back three game bc the halfcourt offense will be an utter mess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
https://x.com/rtnba/status/1717058428915368074?s=46
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 08:19 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://x.com/rtnba/status/1717058428915368074?s=46
Sick
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 08:19 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: https://x.com/rtnba/status/1717058428915368074?s=46

Kidd's back on the sauce...
Like Reply
I think they want Green to be the secondary creator when he’s on the floor instead of just standing in the corner so instead of playing with Luka and Kyrie, he’ll play with one of them. Some of his talents are wasted when Luka is out there dribbling the air out of the ball for the entire shot clock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 11:40 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: In all seriousness though, the Spurs are apparently playing a weird ass starting lineup of Vassell - Johnson - Sochan - Collins - Wemby. I'd still start Green, but maybe they think DJJ is a better matchup for some reason?

Vassell - 6' 5"
Johnson - 6' 5"
Sochan - 6' 8"
Collins - 6' 11"
Wembanyama - 7'3"

Kyrie - 6' 2"
DJJ - 6' 6"
Williams 6' 6"
Luka - 6' 7"
Lively - 7' 1"

Nah, I don't see any matchup issues here....
Like Reply