Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hot take that really isn't a hot take
As I mentioned in one of the other threads, it appears that, with the acquisition of Kyrie - then Lively - then PJ - that the entire pervasive narrative of "the clock is ticking for the Mavs FO to put a team around Luka, or he's going to demand a trade" is completely dead - a simply enormous accomplishment and development.

This is only a hot take because, mind-blowingly, I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, mention it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Am I the only one that thinks this way? I don't care about the "narratives." To me, it's just people making a big deal out of the things that they are scared about. The folks pushing that narrative here or other places online are just guessing. They don't know what Luka thinks.

Having said that, I think you're right about how the recent team building efforts should shut that down. The Mavs are winning playoff games with a 50% to 75% version of Luka! And it's obvious that Luka has fully bought in to this team and the defensive concepts. The whole team, including Luka and Kyrie, are playing selflessly.

Things change though. If the Mavs don't win over the next couple of years, and bad moves are made, then all that talk about Luka leaving will come right back.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I think any time you have a super star, you have to be aware that the tide can change quickly. I agree, the mavs look well positioned moving forward with some tweaks. Looking back, the Kyrie trade may have saved us from Luka growing frustrated. Things can change quickly though. Can you imagine watching what Brunson was doing now if we lacked Kyrie and still had Dinwiddie and spare parts as core teammates. That would have been extremely tough.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd, Mavs2021, mvossman
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 11:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think any time you have a super star, you have to be aware that the tide can change quickly.  I agree, the mavs look well positioned moving forward with some tweaks.  Looking back, the Kyrie trade may have saved us from Luka growing frustrated.  Things can change  quickly though.  Can you imagine watching what Brunson was doing now if we lacked Kyrie and still had Dinwiddie and spare parts as core teammates.  That would have been extremely tough.

It would be really tough for us fans. But we still wouldn't know what Luka thinks. People just project whatever they think onto their favorite players.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Not one player ever has turned down the opportunity to get the super max that Luka will be offered the next time his contract is up. There has never been even a hint of danger of losing him, and there never will be until about a year after he signs that contract.

When we get to that point, it’s not going to matter how many championships they have or have not won during his time here in Dallas, it’s going to matter what the outlook of the team is moving forward from THERE. I sure hope they wise up and stop spending all of their assets in time to have some options available then, when it will matter most.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, mvossman
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 11:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think any time you have a super star, you have to be aware that the tide can change quickly.  I agree, the mavs look well positioned moving forward with some tweaks.  Looking back, the Kyrie trade may have saved us from Luka growing frustrated.  Things can change  quickly though.  Can you imagine watching what Brunson was doing now if we lacked Kyrie and still had Dinwiddie and spare parts as core teammates.  That would have been extremely tough.

Seems like, in the early part of a superstar’s career, it can be all about individual stats and getting paid.

As their career progresses, especially in the late part of their career, it can become all about winning championships, especially if they haven’t yet achieved it.

We also see guys like KD and LeBron, who seem to have very little loyalty, and become afraid that Luka will behave just like them. Fear can be devastating.

But there are plenty of guys who understand that loyalty to a team and city can pay very big long-term rewards. Dirk, Kobe, Stockton & Malone.

I think that the fear of losing a superstar can motivate a front office to make desperate moves. This also weakens their negotiating position, since the other GM’s understand their vulnerability. 

Better to be loyal to your superstar, and assume that they will, in return.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 10:10 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: As I mentioned in one of the other threads, it appears that, with the acquisition of Kyrie - then Lively - then PJ - that the entire pervasive narrative of "the clock is ticking for the Mavs FO to put a team around Luka, or he's going to demand a trade" is completely dead - a simply enormous accomplishment and development.

This is only a hot take because, mind-blowingly, I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, mention it.

If the Mavs don't win a chip in this season or the next... I can see Luka taking his talents to SLC. Or worse (for Mavs fans), to the Lakers. Be honest, if he was gonna leave, would you rather he go to the Lakers or to the Jazz? Tongue

This will only happen after securing his super-max extension though, like AD did.

Utah is a bad city. Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:55 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: If the Mavs don't win a chip in this season or the next... I can see Luka taking his talents to SLC. Or worse (for Mavs fans), to the Lakers. Be honest, if he was gonna leave, would you rather he go to the Lakers or to the Jazz? Tongue

This will only happen after securing his super-max extension though, like AD did.

Utah is a bad city. Big Grin

Okay, let’s play hypotheticals.

If Luka decided he wanted to win a championship in some other city, what would he be looking for?  Clearly the money can’t be the most important thing. And if he’s going to command the supermax on his next contract, he’ll be hamstringing whatever team acquires him.

What kind of teammates make the most sense? Guys who can play great defense, first of all. Guys who are decent at catch-and-shoot threes? 

The Lakers have certainly been trying to build that kind of team around LeBron. AD helps on both ends. But they have so little cap flexibility that it’s been really hard to find pieces that are affordable and fit. 

Utah? They’ve got some young, promising, currently inexpensive players. But by the time Luka signs his new deal, they probably won’t be cheap anymore. And Lauri isn’t a great fit on the court.

What team plays great D and has good 3-point shooters, and a couple of big salaries (as well as a bunch of draft picks) to trade?
Like Reply
True. The team is almost complete.

I think I saw someone else post this but the Mavs are really just a Derrick White type player away from being a legit championship top 3 contender. Right now, you have no idea what youll get from Green, Exum, or Hardaway.
[-] The following 3 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd, KillerLeft, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
I have a feeling that if we can make it to the finals or come close to making it, we might somehow end up signing Paul George. He would fill in the glaring need for this team, and he also needs a team just like the Mavs for the end of his career. What do you think?
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
Just wait ... if the NBA is any kind of 'rigged' like you see so many complain about, what better narrative than to have a Dallas / NY finals with the Knicks prevailing? The stories will write themselves - both about the failures of Dallas and how disgruntled Luka will be. Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 03:11 PM)Berknip Wrote: Just wait ... if the NBA is any kind of 'rigged' like you see so many complain about, what better narrative than to have a Dallas / NY finals with the Knicks prevailing? The stories will write themselves - both about the failures of Dallas and how disgruntled Luka will be. Big Grin

Or Luka vs. Porzingis or Luka vs. Carlisle. NBA! It seems pretty obvious who needs to be the west representative.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Berknip, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 01:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not one player ever has turned down the opportunity to get the super max that Luka will be offered the next time his contract is up. There has never been even a hint of danger of losing him, and there never will be until about a year after he signs that contract.

When we get to that point, it’s not going to matter how many championships they have or have not won during his time here in Dallas, it’s going to matter what the outlook of the team is moving forward from THERE. I sure hope they wise up and stop spending all of their assets in time to have some options available then, when it will matter most.

This is where I have always been.  That is why I am so happy they didn't trade 10 for an aging vet and try to go all in.  They added three starters and key rotation piece in Lively, PJ, DJJ and Gafford.  Three guys in their mid 20s and a 19 year old.  I don't mind paying draft capital for guys that young (I realize I have been suggesting paying a first for an older player, but I am more willing to do that if I think he might actually be the missing piece).
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 02:29 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: True.  The team is almost complete.

I think I saw someone else post this but the Mavs are really just a Derrick White type player away from being a legit championship top 3 contender.  Right now, you have no idea what youll get from Green, Exum, or Hardaway.

Boy, Derrick White would be perfect. I like his game. One of the best two-way guards in the NBA that doesn't get talked about enough. He led all guards in blocked shots this season.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 04:21 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Boy, Derrick White would be perfect. I like his game. One of the best two-way guards in the NBA that doesn't get talked about enough. He led all guards in blocked shots this season.

I somehow doubt that the Celtics are willing to part with him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 03:11 PM)Berknip Wrote: Just wait ... if the NBA is any kind of 'rigged' like you see so many complain about, what better narrative than to have a Dallas / NY finals with the Knicks prevailing? The stories will write themselves - both about the failures of Dallas and how disgruntled Luka will be. Big Grin

It seems franchises for sale ALWAYS get help from the whistles. A boon to all franchises if sales price of one increases. This season, that’s Minnie, isn’t it? 

It will end up selling, and the sales price will be bigger than initially agreed.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 04:21 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Boy, Derrick White would be perfect. I like his game. One of the best two-way guards in the NBA that doesn't get talked about enough. He led all guards in blocked shots this season.

Yep.  I forgot who said it a few weeks ago but someone said the Mavs need to look at these type of players at this asking price.  1 first round pick and contracts.  It takes really good scouting and some good luck.  I really agreed with this take.   As long as Kyrie stays near this level, the Mavs don't need another star.  Plus, the pick hoarders were probably always going to beat the Mavs out for a star anyway.   It puts them in a much different place than a lot of teams who are star hunting.   White took a first round pick.  Aaron Gordon first round pick.  PJ first round pick.  There are plenty of others.   These are the types of guys Dallas needs to find.   The good thing is with their current roster and young prospects they don't need to jump on the first player.  I figure if Green does not make a jump, he could be paired with a first for this type of player.   It could be several players on our team that could be in that package.

I would take DFS back, but things have changed.   I thought he would be a guy I would target...although I found it hard finding a deal that works for both teams.  I know think I would want a higher tier player and would be willing to wait because of the roster we already have.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 04:54 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I somehow doubt that the Celtics are willing to part with him.

Ya think?
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 08:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yep.  I forgot who said it a few weeks ago but someone said the Mavs need to look at these type of players at this asking price.  1 first round pick and contracts.  It takes really good scouting and some good luck.  I really agreed with this take.   As long as Kyrie stays near this level, the Mavs don't need another star.  Plus, the pick hoarders were probably always going to beat the Mavs out for a star anyway.   It puts them in a much different place than a lot of teams who are star hunting.   White took a first round pick.  Aaron Gordon first round pick.  PJ first round pick.  There are plenty of others.   These are the types of guys Dallas needs to find.   The good thing is with their current roster and young prospects they don't need to jump on the first player.  I figure if Green does not make a jump, he could be paired with a first for this type of player.   It could be several players on our team that could be in that package.

I would take DFS back, but things have changed.   I thought he would be a guy I would target...although I found it hard finding a deal that works for both teams.  I know think I would want a higher tier player and would be willing to wait because of the roster we already have.

DFS has lost it some IMO. He hasn't been as impactful since he went to Brooklyn. PJ is definitely the better player and fit for this team.
Like Reply