Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIBA Qualifying Tournament: USA loses to Germany|Gold medal between Germany+Serbia
Bertans just knocks out Gobert, Fournier, and Batum out of medal contention with a scorching hot 15 points on 4/10 shooting.

Embarrassing showing for France given their, albeit old, NBA talent.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-27-2023, 11:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bertans just knocks out Gobert, Fournier, and Batum out of medal contention with a scorching hot 15 points on 4/10 shooting. 

Embarrassing showing for France given their, albeit old, NBA talent.

Yeah Victor is going full Yao. He´ll have to carry a bunch of poor talent by himself on the national team going forward. Not good for his body. At least teams are smarter now than to play somebody with that kind of body like 500 games in five years.
Like Reply
Good news for Mavs2021. Luka is doing whatever he wants against Georgia and Bitadze.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin, Mavs2021, omahen
Like Reply
(08-28-2023, 07:35 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Good news for Mavs2021. Luka is doing whatever he wants against Georgia and Bitadze.

Where can I find a stream?
Like Reply
(08-28-2023, 11:13 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Where can I find a stream?

ESPN+ or NBA league pass. No clue about other options.

Luka highlights:

Like Reply
So far the US, Canada and Germany look like the strongest teams. Unless Edwards or Ingram continue to mess up the flow with their iso ball (Hart is a way better fit next to all the scoring and playmaking talent) I don´t see how anyone beats team USA.
Canada hasn´t faced a "strong" opponent but SGA might be the 2nd best player in the entire tournament and they have surrounded him with a nice combination of shooting, size and athleticism.
Germany plays like Spain/France in past tournaments. No real star player but great depth and superior coaching/schemes compared to most teams.
Like Reply
(08-28-2023, 11:13 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Where can I find a stream?

courtside1891.basketball is what I used.  $10 bucks for all the FIBA games.  I don't know any free options.
Like Reply
Off game. Luka started 0/6 from the field. Finished 5/17. Still an easy W against Kap Verde but the next two opponents are Australia and Germany. Slovenia needs the best version of Luka against them and even that probably isn´t enough.
Like Reply
(08-28-2023, 12:15 PM)Hypermav Wrote: courtside1891.basketball is what I used.  $10 bucks for all the FIBA games.  I don't know any free options.
Germany's games are streamed for free on magentasport.de in HD. From outside you may need a german VPN.
Like Reply
watching the SLO-AUS game on ESPN+. Halftime FT differential feels like 2006 NBA finals.
Like Reply
Slovenia just better than Australia. Luka in foul trouble all game and it didn't even matter. Ingles looks done...he got a decent contract this summer though  Big Grin
Like Reply
(09-01-2023, 08:56 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Slovenia just better than Australia. Luka in foul trouble all game and it didn't even matter. Ingles looks done...he got a decent contract this summer though  Big Grin

Incredible Slovenia dismantled Australia like that. Luka didn't even play well and yet Australia just looked defeated. 

Next test is way harder now for Slovenia. Germany has been on a roll and Schroeder especially has been playing like a top 10 player in the tournament.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Some highlights:

Luka blocks Green!
https://twitter.com/dmn_mavericks/status...93292?s=20

Josh Green Dunk
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...4733080880

Luka step back 3 over Green
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...2075031648

Exum with a crafty cut and finish
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...5486672279

Exum and 1
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...1831638318

Exum corner 3
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...9254401497

Luka with the "Go Home" 3
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...7018684848

Dante Exum with the crazy block then dunk
https://twitter.com/TheMavsBlog/status/1...1248630812
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
When I went to the FIBA site it said the games are streaming on Max. I just let my subscription go last month…
Like Reply
Excellent win by Slovenia. Scored 90+ points on not particularly well shooting. Australia chose to double Luka whole game (Luka only took 9 shots because of that), but rest of the team was good in 4 on 3 situations. Even plenty of non Luka minutes went reasonably well. I think Luka was still best player on the floor, despite stupid technical and 4th foul. Tobey capitalized hsi opportunities mostly generated by Luka almost to perfection.

Josh Green is still unimpressive. Just passive. I don't care about the highlight dunk. It was actually his only field goal with just 5 shots taken. Australia game was basically limited to Mills and Giddey one on ones, rest of team couldn't capitalize much in open shots, with the exception of 2 Thybulle threes. Ingles is a very smart player (shows on defense), but I agree he looks done. Exum scored 13, but needed 13 shots to do it, missing several open shots. Didn't see much of playmaking. Still, he left a better impression than Green.

Germany and Slovenia are in quaterfinals no matter what and their game will determine who will play who. Loser will likely face Canada, while winner will likely face one of biggest surprises Latvia, which defeated Spain today. Game against Australia showed that doubling Luka is still not necessarily the way to win. So it will be interesting to see what tactics next teams will take.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(09-01-2023, 01:32 PM)omahen Wrote: Josh Green is still unimpressive. Just passive.

There's no way anyone would have anything left on offense while being asked to guard Luka full court nonstop.  Josh was a huge reason Luka was only able to get up 9 shots.  He had a clear role defined for him this game that I thought he executed pretty well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(09-01-2023, 01:37 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: There's no way anyone would have anything left on offense while being asked to guard Luka full court nonstop.  Josh was a huge reason Luka was only able to get up 9 shots.  He had a clear role defined for him this game that I thought he executed pretty well.

Australia was doubling Luka whole game. Green was basically never on an island with Luka. I don't think he was the (main) reason for limiting Luka. I wasn't left with an impression that he played game changing defense. Its not like Luka is draining huge amounts of energy from defenders when he doesn't have the ball. And Slovenia left other players to carry the ball on the other side. Besides, even though Luka took only 9 shots, he was still making his signature passes out of double teams
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(09-01-2023, 01:37 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: There's no way anyone would have anything left on offense while being asked to guard Luka full court nonstop.  Josh was a huge reason Luka was only able to get up 9 shots.  He had a clear role defined for him this game that I thought he executed pretty well.

That would be valid if it wasn't J.Green's MO.  You can't say he is anything other than passive on offense.  9.4FGA as a starter is just passive.  LOVE his efficiency, but to go to the next level he has to put up more attempts.  I don't think he will.  This is who he is.
Like Reply
I see I was too quick about situation in the group with Canada, as I didn't notice they lost to Brazil. So all four teams have 3 wins and one loss before the final round (Canada - Spain and Latvia - Brazil). Winners of the final matches will advance, while the 1st and 2nd place totally depends on who will win final two matches.
Like Reply
(09-01-2023, 01:46 PM)omahen Wrote: Australia was doubling Luka whole game. Green was basically never on an island with Luka. I don't think he was the (main) reason for limiting Luka. I wasn't left with an impression that he played game changing defense. Its not like Luka is draining huge amounts of energy from defenders when he doesn't have the ball. And Slovenia left other players to carry the ball on the other side. Besides, even though Luka took only 9 shots, he was still making his signature passes out of double teams

Josh picked up Luka full court every time that ball was inbounded to him, if you don't think running an isolated full court press every time down the floor is draining then I think we just disagree there.  I also wasn't saying that Luka wasn't impactful, I'm saying Australia's strategy was to limit him as a scorer and take the ball out of his hands and Josh was a big part of that is all.  Luka always makes the right play and tonight his team stepped up and made Australia pay.

I wasn't saying that he was playing game changing defense necessarily, I'm saying the game plan for Josh was to play POA defense on Luka full court until he crossed half court and the double came to force it out of his hands and make the rest of the team beat them and Slovenia executed great and won.  His job was play hard defense then go stand in the corner, which will basically be his job next season too when he's playing with Luka and Kyrie.
Like Reply