Poll: What is the amount of games needed before Kidd gets fired mid-season?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10-15 before december
0%
0 0%
20-30 before all-star
3.13%
1 3.13%
40+
6.25%
2 6.25%
N/A, Kidd won't be fired midseason no matter what
90.63%
29 90.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kidd really the best head coach for this team?
(05-11-2024, 02:48 PM)audiosway Wrote: I see what you are getting at. Makes total sense. I have to definitely eat some crow on Kidd. I've always been a Rick Carlisle fan and it's obvious he's a great coach. Yet again he is winning and has a great team put together in Indiana.

I think Kidd has a style that this team needs the more I look at it. I've NEVER seen Kyrie play like this. He is completely unselfish and not a distraction whatsoever. He's even teaching Luka how to lead. At first I thought Kidd was just letting Ky and Luka run the team on the floor (and he likely is). However, the game planning is something I think Kidd is leading. And I have to say overall he outcoached Ty Lue and Lue is a good coach.

What I mean by that is that after game 1 I noticed that the Mavs came out and really just made the game ugly. And that heavily played in Dallas' favor taking all of the Clippers rhythm away. Now against the Thunder they are playing more up tempo. Maybe it's just me (and I'll admit I have a limited knowledge of X's and O's with coaching) but it seems like Kidd is putting together the plan of attack after what he sees in game 1. Then, the team just goes out and implements it. Granted it takes a guy of Luka and Ky's high BBIQ to handle running that. But, maybe THIS is the approach THEY need. Not every coaching type works for every roster or key players.

Great takes here guys, was a pleasure to read your analyses and thoughts - thank you! 

What I am wondering and going back to some earlier posts in this thread: is that specific coaching and leadership style of Kidd somehow related to us losing each and every first game of all the playoff series we played? 

Because he doesn’t prepare the team as much as a control freak, a micro manager or on an emotional level a Steve-Ballmer-type-hype-them-up coach would?
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 07:14 AM)Knutsen Wrote: What I am wondering and going back to some earlier posts in this thread: is that specific coaching and leadership style of Kidd somehow related to us losing each and every first game of all the playoff series we played? 

I think it has more to do with being the lower seed, on the road, underdog, in 4 out of the 5 series he’s coached the Mavs in the playoffs.

It’s a stat to discredit him but in reality, the fact that he’s 3-1 and possibly 4-1 with a series win against OKC, while being the lower seed in each series (Except Utah) is actually impressive.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Knutsen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
It seems Kidd may be the kind of coach who’s very good with a team built exactly like he wants, like the team he has now, but isn’t the coach you want to scheme up a team with weaknesses. Or maybe last year, the Mavs started a soft tank earlier than we thought and Kidd wasn’t as bad as it seemed with the inexplicable rotations and end of game sets. I didn’t really see so much of that this season even when the Mavs were struggling.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 10:39 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: It seems Kidd may be the kind of coach who’s very good with a team built exactly like he wants, like the team he has now, but isn’t the coach you want to scheme up a team with weaknesses. Or maybe last year, the Mavs started a soft tank earlier than we thought and Kidd wasn’t as bad as it seemed with the inexplicable rotations and end of game sets. I didn’t really see so much of that this season even when the Mavs were struggling.

The way I would phrase it. Kidd is as good as the players he has. He will let them play. Just like Kidd in his prime the players aren't supposed to look for leadership or decision making from the coach. They have to figure it out themself. With the right kind of players it works. In other cases it doesn't.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 09:09 AM)Smitty Wrote: I think it has more to do with being the lower seed, on the road, underdog, in 4 out of the 5 series he’s coached the Mavs in the playoffs.

It’s a stat to discredit him but in reality, the fact that he’s 3-1 and possibly 4-1 with a series win against OKC, while being the lower seed in each series (Except Utah) is actually impressive.

This. The odds are stacked heavily against road 1 wins. But that one home loss is also uninformative, in my opinion, because Luka was out. Sure, we won game 2 without him. But that was the surprise, not losing the first one.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 07:14 AM)Knutsen Wrote: Great takes here guys, was a pleasure to read your analyses and thoughts - thank you! 

What I am wondering and going back to some earlier posts in this thread: is that specific coaching and leadership style of Kidd somehow related to us losing each and every first game of all the playoff series we played? 

Because he doesn’t prepare the team as much as a control freak, a micro manager or on an emotional level a Steve-Ballmer-type-hype-them-up coach would?

I think it's partly this combined with being on the road as the under dog. I really think he just says to the team to go out and play a standard kind of flow offense and defense. Then, after game 1 they go in and now know what the other team is doing by studying film. Then, they make up a game plan based on that. Game 1 has always been a feel out game for teams anyway. I don't think he's the least bit worried about them losing game 1.

I agree with the other poster that said Kidd isn't the kind of coach you want to out coach the other side with Xs and Os. That was Carlisle. But, if you give Kidd his style of roster with a smart back court that can run the team on the floor that's his forte. Especially being able to get the best out of guys like Kyrie that are known to have been difficult for other coaches in the past.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 3 users Like audiosway's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Knutsen, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Yes. Yes he is.

https://archive.is/ht1Ub
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 08:15 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Yes. Yes he is.

https://archive.is/ht1Ub

Great article.  Thanks for posting.  Really shows the complexity of what they are doing on defense.
Like Reply