Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Summer League | Mavs end off 4-1
Cleveland could have the sleeper pick in this year's draft in Emoni Bates. He's been solid but needs to tone down his crazy shot selection. They have the best record in SL at 4-0
Like Reply
Looking back at the Mavs workout list my two favorites Drew Peterson and Craig Porter Jr are looking great. Wouldn´t be suprised if Peterson is the next undrafted guy that comes out of Miami´s development program. Porter JR has been even better than Bates and Mobley for the Cavs.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 08:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Denver signed Braxton Key off our summer league roster to one of their two way spots.  I really hadn’t paid much attention to him.  He has prototypical size but is 26 years old and has been in the G-league for a few seasons.  Denver is a well run franchise though.  Anyway, I just found that interesting.

His athletic ability popped for me, but I didn’t see much skill. Not sure he got much of a chance to show much, however.
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 08:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly Hardy's summer league was a bit disappointing. Sure he managed to score 24 in his first 2 games, but it was the difficulty he had in doing it. 

Maybe he can't be "the" guy, but looks way way way better next to the ones who are. Still, the talent is there. Hopefully he took this relatively rough SL where he forced a bunch of shots as a lesson he still has a lot of work to do. 

I felt his SL last year was better for him even though he didn't score as much.

I agree. I think he looked a bit better last summer in some ways. I agree with those who suggest this has to do with them letting him play PG, but on the other hand I don’t think he makes it in the league without a little ability to do that. Jordan Clarkson isn’t really a PG, but does anyone here think he would’ve looked as rough as Hardy did running the Mavs’ SL team? I do not.

I’m still REALLY high on Hardy as a piece on this team, but not quite as sure as some that he’s ready to step into the main bench scoring role this year. Maybe by the end of the year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 10:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m still REALLY high on Hardy as a piece on this team, but not quite as sure as some that he’s ready to step into the main bench scoring role this year. Maybe by the end of the year.

Absolutely agree!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Coopz___/status/1679702655801651200

If you don't have twitter I'm sorry, not sure how to post the video. But a great highlight of what Lively brings to defense. He talks a lot!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 11:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/Coopz___/status/1679702655801651200

If you don't have twitter I'm sorry, not sure how to post the video. But a great highlight of what Lively brings to defense. He talks a lot!

That is so great.   It just goes to him focusing on the simple things.   I am glad he understands the quickest way to get on the court.  There are a lot of bigs who want everyone to know they can shoot the three.  While the easiest way to get on the court is do the things Lively is focusing on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Hardy struggled but last SL I just saw flashes mixed with a lot of chunkerism and missed shots. He was better this time in an experimental role and will be fine this season. The Mavs just need to unload some of the logjam at guard.
Like Reply
Only summer league but the young Wizards backcourt is looking pretty good. Johnny Davies was one of the more disappointing rookies last season. Showing a nice combination of slashing and shooting right now. Coulibaly has the Luka/Harden-like ability to attack the rim at his one pace. Combined with a strong frame he has the making of a foul drawing machine.
Like Reply
Is it possible that Hardy is being pulled out of SL because he's being shopped in deals and they don't want him injured (or killing his value anymore with his play)?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 05:30 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Is it possible that Hardy is being pulled out of SL because he's being shopped in deals and they don't want him injured (or killing his value anymore with his play)?

Highly unlikely.
Like Reply
OMax is him...
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Fun start to summer league game. Get to see Dallas two draft picks against Jarace Walker. Pretty good flow by both teams so far.
Like Reply
Who had OMax being a better pick and roll ballhandler than Hardy on his summer league bingo card?
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 05:30 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Is it possible that Hardy is being pulled out of SL because he's being shopped in deals and they don't want him injured (or killing his value anymore with his play)?

I would not be opposed to it.  The Jordan Clarkson archetype would be a huge win for a 2nd rd pick but not sure he profiles as much more.

(07-14-2023, 06:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: OMax is him...

If they had picked him at 12 and taken LIvely at 24, somehow my messed up brain would be more excited about the draft.
Like Reply
A little bit harsh but Lawson embodies everything I dislike when it comes to young players. No fundamentals. Forcing things on offense. More often than not out of control on his drives. Resulting in missed layups, turnovers or risky jump passes. More of the same on defense. Gambling for steals. Falling asleep on cuts. Missing rotations.
Like Reply
O max looks great. Lively too. Only knock for me is he has to be better securing defensive rebounds. But both rookies look great today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-14-2023, 06:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: A little bit harsh but Lawson embodies everything I dislike when it comes to young players. No fundamentals. Forcing things on offense. More often than not out of control on his drives. Resulting in missed layups, turnovers or risky jump passes. More of the same on defense. Gambling for steals. Falling asleep on cuts. Missing rotations.

Don´t know whether it´s a matter of skill or will. I think he doesn´t have a high basketball IQ. Omax sure promises more than advertised. I´m still undecided with Lively. His passing/court-vision seems his best skill.

Walker is earning himself a significant contract in Europe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I’m sorry, guys. I know it’s a third rail issue around here, and sure, it’s summer league, and sure, he might not be totally up to speed on day 1 of the season, but Lively looks like a good one to me.
Like Reply
Gotta beat them by like 25+, then we could be going to knockouts.
Like Reply