Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 121, Timberwolves 114
Mavs Survive Wolves; Brunson and Powell Have Career Nights

This one was a bit of a roller-coaster ride, but the Mavericks came out ahead with a massive assist from the bench mob. 

Game Story

The Wolves came in looking all set for a Martian movie, with their lime-green unis. Karl-Anthony Towns is a beast, and he and Andrew Wiggins appeared practically radioactive. The Mavs were on the second night of a back-to-back, on their home court at the AAC. 

The Mavs got out to a bright start, getting out to an 8-point lead, which dwindled to one, and then returned to 5 at the end of the first quarter. The score was 30-25, and Dallas led for the entire quarter. The Mavs were 2-10 from three in the period, but Luka and Powell put on a show, with Dwight scoring 11 points, often on assists from his Slovenian teammate. KP protected the rim with a vengeance, and had a dramatic chase-down block on KAT. At the end of the frame, Luka showed a bit of irritation, trying to sell a foul but getting called for a moving screen instead, and drawing a delay of game warning for not leaving the court fast enough. Carlisle did not elect to challenge, but looked as if he might have considered it for a moment. 

The second quarter turned into a nightmare. The Mavs were 1 of 9 from beyond the arc, and they were exceptionally foul-happy, allowing the Wolves 17 FTAs in the period, compared to five of their own. The Mavericks actually had a 13-point advantage at 6:20, but the lead decreased to 7 at 2:07. Then, in the blink of a 2-minute eye, the Wolves went on an 11-1 explosion, with the Mavs missing three triples and a free throw attempt, committing a turnover, and seeing Powell and Porzee both commit their third fouls. The scoreboard showed 53-56 at the halftime buzzer. Ceballos opined that the Mavericks were getting distracted by the refs again, and were committing too many silly fouls. Aargh. 

Dallas trailed all through the third, amassing a deficit of 11 twice, and gradually shaving it to 4 at the end of the period. Their three-point shooting remained putrid (1-7), but Powell and Porzingis stepped up, combining for 19 points out of the team's total 27. Dwight had two highlight-reel dunks over KAT, and a great and-one toward the end of the frame. DFS had a spectacular tip dunk from an offensive rebound at 0:29. KP also had a breathtaking put back dunk at 3:04. Luka continued to be frustrated by the no-calls, and was T'd up at 2:26. The home team took an 80-84 deficit into the fourth. 

The bench tore the Wolves up, leading the team to 41 points in the last quarter, while holding the Wolves to 30. Jalen Brunson was stellar, with 14 points in the frame on perfect 6-6 shooting, along with two assists. As soon as Brunson subbed in at 10:27, the Mavs scored in 8 of their next 9 possessions, all on made baskets, and achieved a 19-12 run by 5:21. At 4:59, the starters came back in, except for Brunson staying on the floor in place of Hardaway. A few seconds later, Powell hurt his arm, and went to the locker room, replaced by Maxi. That group maintained the lead, and closed the game at 121-114. The bench guys who were responsible for the bulk of the comeback were Brunson, Seth, Wright, Jackson, and Kleber. Congratulations to this determined group, as well as the other Mavs!

Analytics

The Mavs shot a pathetic 4-26 from beyond the arc through the third quarter. A flaming fourth brought them up to 11-37 (30%), but it was still not enough to compete with Minny's 17-38 (45%). What our boys couldn't achieve from three, they found a way to accomplish inside the arc, hitting 35-55 two-point attempts (77%), and scoring 52 points in the paint. They were +30 on points from twos, -18 on points from threes, and -5 in made free throws. They also limited turnovers to 8, and maintained a 23-9 point edge in points off turnovers. 

Players

Luka (32 minutes). Luka had a quiet night by his stratospheric standards (22-7-6, 5 turnovers), and seemed like he might be letting the refereeing situation get to him a little more than was ideal. Still, he managed the game well. When he came in for the last few minutes of the game, he recognized Brunson's hot hand, and was calling plays for Jalen, with excellent results! Luka's contributions could not be measured by the box score. Cedric did a demo after the game, showing how Luka's tremendous ball handling and jump shooting kept the Wolves guessing, and bewildered KAT, enabling Luka to find his teammates again and again. 

Porzingis (29 minutes). Kristaps played a full complement of minutes tonight, despite having played 18 minutes the previous night. Good sign! He had 19 points on reasonably efficient shooting, along with 6 rebounds, and made a strong defensive impression vying with the Wolves' big men. 

Powell (25 minutes).  Dwight put together a glittering night, scoring a team-high 24 points on perfect shooting from the field (7-7 2PTAs, 2-2 3PTAs, 4-5 FTAs). It was a season-high in points, and a career high for a half, with his first-half 14. He filled out the stat sheet with 5 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, and 2 blocks, all without playing in the fourth quarter. He kept the crowd coming out of their seats, with a number of points on the move, including a variety of jams, and a couple of timely threes as well. 

Carlisle said that DP played a "massively important role" in the game, and did a great deal of dirty work guarding KAT and Minny's various drivers into the lane. Ceballos noted that the Wolves made the mistake of failing to put a body on him, and he repeatedly made them pay. The X-rays on his arm were negative, and he has been diagnosed with a bruise on his left arm. Powell said he thought the arm got wedged between Porzingis and Wiggins, and he is relieved that it wasn't broken. 

Brunson (18 minutes). Jalen was a revelation, taking the reins in the fourth quarter, and leading an amazing scoring spree. He had a career-high 14 points in the final frame, and a season-high 16 points on the night. Rick kept him on the court down the stretch, saying that it was "obvious" that he needed to stay in, and praised him for being a difference-maker. Coach noted that the team had been struggling most of the night, needed a boost of energy, and boy, did Brunson provide one. 

Bench Mob.  The bench as a whole was tremendous, overmatching the Wolves bench 45-22. In plus-minus stats, every member of the second unit was in positive territory, whereas all the starters were negative. Jalen will, deservedly, get the limelight, but Seth, Maxi, Delon, and Justin all put in yeoman's work. I am growing to love this bench! Harp noted that the difference between the Mavs' reserves and those of other teams is that this bench is very good in clutch situations. Hard to disagree. Rick observed that the bench was critically important on the second night of a back-to-back, and had done a great job. 

Remarks

At the beginning of this game, I thought maybe the numerous games and emotional peaks and valleys might have caught up with the team on the SEGABABA. However, it seems like someone different every night steps up in some unexpected way, and tonight it was Powell and Brunson. The game was exciting, played very fast, and with lots of end-to-end action. Rick was a bit snippy with Tim Cato when he was asked about the finishing lineup. Don't know if there's some back story there, or not. In any case, Rick confirmed that the finishing lineup is not fixed, but rather is determined from night to night. 

The Mavericks have now won nine of their last ten matches. The last time they had such a record was in 2011. A very auspicious year, no?  

Next. The Mavs will welcome the Pelicans to the AAC on Saturday, in an early game. So, the boys will have a couple of days to rest between back-to-backs. Should be fun!
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Still, he managed the game well. When he came in for the last few minutes of the game, he recognized Brunson's hot hand, and was calling plays for Jalen, with excellent results! Luka's contributions could not be measured by the box score.

Noticed this as well. Luka is a QB. He intentionally went to the sideline towards the end and let Brunson get it and also called plays for Brunson. Like in many other areas it shows the W is the most important stat for Luka.
Like Reply
I'm still a bit anxious to say it, but the Mavs seem to be good, actually. Two games of a back to back against opponents that weren't toast and despite the fact that they didn't play without struggles and were down in both games they managed to carve out convincing wins. Kudos! That's what good teams do.
For some time I was looking at the December schedule with a bit of fear, but currently I don't see a reason they won't win their fair share of games against teams like Miami, Milwaukee, Boston, Philly and Toronto during the next weeks. Good times to be a Mavs fan.

For me, the officiating seemed to be a bit uneven at least during the first half and then some - refs seemed to allow more contact on the Mavs and especially Luka, than hey allowed on the Wolves. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't say there were a lot of clear fouls on Luka, but the seemed to call that kind of contact on the other side of the court, so I can understand the young man was irritated - even if it did him no good.

Dwight Powell seems to have found his confidence again and while he was on the down site of every 50:50 ball for long stretches of the season, and falling to the floor every other possession it looks like he's better now. Hope the trend holds! Fun fact: Is it just me, or does Powell foul (!?) with his face more than with every other part of his body!?

Great games by Maxi and Brunson also. Won't be easy to choose someone for the Dirkie! As you said, mavsluvr: you never know, which Mav will step up the next time and elevate his game above the normal level.
Also Rick seems to be opportunistic and let the hot guys play - something he was criticized for not doing sometimes, maybe rightfully to some degree.
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavericks have now won nine of their last ten matches. The last time they had such a record was in 2011. A very auspicious year, no?  
Good recap.  The only loss coming to the consensus best team and a difficult matchup for Luka.  

Rick unleashing his bench on opponents.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: When he (Luka) came in for the last few minutes of the game, he recognized Brunson's hot hand, and was calling plays for Jalen, with excellent results! Luka's contributions could not be measured by the box score.

Kudos to Luka for calling Jalen's number in the 4th! Growth from the supporting cast and growth from Luka in trusting them and getting them involved will make this team even better than what we've seen so far I think! 

(12-05-2019, 02:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I am growing to love this bench!

They've done it again. The bench death lineup is back, and it was built without JJB and Powell. Amazing. 

(12-05-2019, 05:28 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: I'm still a bit anxious to say it, but the Mavs seem to be good, actually.

They're exceeding expectations by so much, and so quickly, that it's hard to know what to think. We were all prepared for a nice season of reasonable growth where they fight for an 8th seed. I feel a little like this team deserves more excitement from me than I've been able to muster but their level of play this early in the process is just hard to comprehend!
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 09:53 AM)fifteenth Wrote: They're exceeding expectations by so much, and so quickly, that it's hard to know what to think. We were all prepared for a nice season of reasonable growth where they fight for an 8th seed. I feel a little like this team deserves more excitement from me than I've been able to muster but their level of play this early in the process is just hard to comprehend!

I think this has to be attributed to Luka growth. I think most of people, including me, assumed he will have a couple of assists more due to playing with better teammates and probably a couple of points per game more compared to last season. Let's say, we assumed that last night version against Minny with a bit better 3 point shooting would be his standard for the season. This kind of version of Luka would probably have Mavs in the battle for 8th seed and not much more.

Reality is, that his game against Minny was probably one of his worst 3 games of the season. He is getting so much attention from opposing teams that this is leaving more space for others. He is deadly in the paint and a PnR master. Kudos to Rick for really nailing the roles on the team and the rotations. Everything is nicely coming to place to such extent, that all of a sudden only league best players can be seen as an upgrade to this team - even upgrade over DFS, THJ or Powell. Kudos to KP to give 100 % on defense and accepting a lesser role on offense - putting team in front of personal stats. I am so happy Powell found his game lately.

I think the Mavs biggest question at this point is - can Luka provide MVP level performance throughout the whole season? If not and games as yesterday become standard, help will be needed next season (if not at TDL) to take some load from him. If yes, Mavs can afford to be very patient and aim only for the best of players as one right move might be enough to really make them serious contenders.
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 10:08 AM)omahen Wrote: I think this has to be attributed to Luka growth.

Certainly Luka's growth is the most important thing that's happened to the franchise. But the Mavs are playing like a team. The bench mob is either holding their own at the beginning of the 4th or winning the beginning of the 4th quarter. Players are hitting their shots when Luka passes to them. Luka is amazingly awesome AND the rest of the Mavs roster is playing well and playing like a team.
Like Reply
It looks to me like Powell absolutely did need JJ and he and Brunson didn't really work. However, give Carlisle credit. He put Powell (and THJ) with Luka and it is working beautifully. Luka, even last night, is clearly making other players better and Carlisle is matching up players who find open spots well with Luka, who shall we say finds them extremely well. 

Next, we need the KP and Luka offensive chemistry to continue to progress. KP is not found what his best open spots are yet and he is not making a high percentage of the shots he gets like so many other guys are. I have seen improvement. However, the two of them haven't really been complemented enough for their effective rebounding for sure and even their team defense. That part of their partnership is working well.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:53 AM)burekemde Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Still, he managed the game well. When he came in for the last few minutes of the game, he recognized Brunson's hot hand, and was calling plays for Jalen, with excellent results! Luka's contributions could not be measured by the box score.

Noticed this as well. Luka is a QB. He intentionally went to the sideline towards the end  and let Brunson get it and also called plays for Brunson. Like in many other areas it shows the W is the most important stat for Luka.
Yes, early on, I thought he might be stat-hunting a bit to complete his triple doubles, but haven't noticed it lately. Loved his game management with Brunson in!
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 07:59 AM)Hypermav Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavericks have now won nine of their last ten matches. The last time they had such a record was in 2011. A very auspicious year, no?  
Good recap.  The only loss coming to the consensus best team and a difficult matchup for Luka.  

Rick unleashing his bench on opponents.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Love this, hahaha!
Like Reply
For those who couldn't watch the post-game show, Jalen had a touching interview. He dedicated his performance to a friend of his who had passed away last week. His voice was breaking, and he was very emotional about his friend watching over the victory. May your friend RIP, Jalen.
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 05:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: For those who couldn't watch the post-game show, Jalen had a touching interview. He dedicated his performance to a friend of his who had passed away last week. His voice was breaking, and he was very emotional about his friend watching over the victory. May your friend RIP, Jalen.
Your summary is more dramatic than the actual interview.
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 05:42 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Your summary is more dramatic than the actual interview.

Really?
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 06:07 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 05:42 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Your summary is more dramatic than the actual interview.

Really?

Form your own impression Smile

https://streamable.com/z669c
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 06:10 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Form your own impression Smile

Oh, yeah, I had already listened to it
Like Reply
Great interview though Smile
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 09:53 AM)fifteenth Wrote: They're exceeding expectations by so much, and so quickly, that it's hard to know what to think. We were all prepared for a nice season of reasonable growth where they fight for an 8th seed. I feel a little like this team deserves more excitement from me than I've been able to muster but their level of play this early in the process is just hard to comprehend.
Exactly!
Like Reply
(12-05-2019, 05:28 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: I'm still a bit anxious to say it, but the Mavs seem to be good, actually. Two games of a back to back against opponents that weren't toast and despite the fact that they didn't play without struggles and were down in both games they managed to carve out convincing wins. Kudos! That's what good teams do.
For some time I was looking at the December schedule with a bit of fear, but currently I don't see a reason they won't win their fair share of games against teams like Miami, Milwaukee, Boston, Philly and Toronto during the next weeks. Good times to be a Mavs fan.

For me, the officiating seemed to be a bit uneven at least during the first half and then some - refs seemed to allow more contact on the Mavs and especially Luka, than hey allowed on the Wolves. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't say there were a lot of clear fouls on Luka, but the seemed to call that kind of contact on the other side of the court, so I can understand the young man was irritated - even if it did him no good.

Dwight Powell seems to have found his confidence again and while he was on the down site of every 50:50 ball for long stretches of the season, and falling to the floor every other possession it looks like he's better now. Hope the trend holds! Fun fact: Is it just me, or does Powell foul (!?) with his face more than with every other part of his body!?

Great games by Maxi and Brunson also. Won't be easy to choose someone for the Dirkie! As you said, mavsluvr: you never know, which Mav will step up the next time and elevate his game above the normal level.
Also Rick seems to be opportunistic and let the hot guys play - something he was criticized for not doing sometimes, maybe rightfully to some degree.
Good observations. 

With some trepidation, I am coming to think of the Mavs as one of the league's good teams. Which I wasn't really expecting. Feels a little weird, in fact, lol.
Like Reply