Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Must Read From The Ringer
This is a must read for the forum imo. Luka, Rick, THJ, KP, the bench, lineup changes, how is this working, where is it headed...all our forum debates get discussed by a "go to" level NBA writer. 

Check it out and let us know what you think.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thering...k-carlisle
Like Reply
Good insight in that article. The negative he brings up at the end, the fact that our offense relies so heavily on Luka, is what has me worried.

Playoffs would be great, but how are you going to win a series against a team like the Clippers who have the defenders to shut Luka down?

Can THJ and KP pick it up when Luka has a bad night? So far, they haven't been able to do so.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:26 PM)embellisher Wrote: Can THJ and KP pick it up when Luka has a bad night? So far, they haven't been able to do so.

That's why we need to add pieces before we can become contenders. Perhaps only one piece would be enough.
Like Reply
Great read, it is a lot of the things being discussed here. There are quotes from this article that I really like. One that I haven't seen is also this:

Quote:The magic of Carlisle is how he structured his rotation to maximize his players. He finds ways to get the most out of what he’s given

Lots of people criticizing him while he was tinkering to find the right fit, it's been said before, that happens every year. I think he settled earlier this year, but then there were a lot of return players that he got to evaluate for a long period of time last year. Continuity is a big reason GSW was as successful as they were. That is also a credit I will give Donnie for this offseason. 

The meme Luka saves all butts should change to Luka and RC save all butts.

(12-03-2019, 12:26 PM)embellisher Wrote: Can THJ and KP pick it up when Luka has a bad night? So far, they haven't been able to do so.
When has Luka had a bad night? It's been a pretty long while.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:36 PM)omahen Wrote:

That's why we need to add pieces before we can become contenders. Perhaps only one piece would be enough.

The perfect piece, if you're only adding one, would be a person who plays good perimeter D and can also create for themselves, and put up 25 points if needed, when Luka is having a bad game. Oh, and is unselfish enough to defer to Luka when he's on, which is most of the time. 

Not sure that guy exists, tbh.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/12...1585289217
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
When has Luka had a bad night? It's been a pretty long while.

Clippers game.
Like Reply
Great article, thanks for posting it.  It really sums up a lot of the things we've been talking about on these boards for weeks.

1. Roles/Rotations- This team seemed to flip a switch after that big loss against the Knicks and the team meeting that followed. Since then the starting lineup has been set with Hardaway inserted. The bench rotations and roles have been defined. The article seems to like the 3 headed combo guard lineup of Brunson, Curry, Wright to go along with Jackson and Kleber.  Not sure this going to look so good later in the season.

2. To quote the article, "they just don’t have the bulk to hang with supersized wings like LeBron and Kawhi."  Not to mention guys who play with power/bulk in the paint. Jokic, Drummond, A. Davis, Harrell, etc. This will only be a bigger issue once we get to the playoffs. 

To me this outlines the need for a trade.  And its quite clear what needs to happen.  They need to trade for a guy to replace Powell in the starting group who can defend the paint better, rebound better,  but not disrupt the offense by needing the ball to score. That person should either be another spot up shooter or a capable rim runner.  That would send Powell to the bench and make our bench even stronger.  Taking the place of Brunson or Curry (one of who would probably be traded along with Lee for our 5 spot upgrade).  

Seems so simple but who? That's what we've been debating on the trade threads for weeks. Lets see what happens!
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:52 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: They need to trade for a guy to replace Powell

Yet the article talks about how Powell is part of the reason why the starting lineup is working so well
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 12:52 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: They need to trade for a guy to replace Powell

Yet the article talks about how Powell is part of the reason why the starting lineup is working so well
#facts
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:45 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/12...1585289217

Yeah, halfway through this, it's really good. Unfortunately I have to hit pause and join a meeting.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Exactly. The danger in replacing Powell in the starting lineup is what he brings to our offense that doesn't show up in the box score. I hope he continues to improve to where he's at least as good as he was in the second half last year. But he's still elite at setting picks.

If you replace him with somebody who's not close to being as good, our best offense ever will suffer. Luka's production will suffer. Maybe badly enough to start losing games .
Like Reply
<3Rick<3
Like Reply
He's carrying a really average team to a top 5-6 seed in the West.  It's been amazing to witness.  I wanted him all along but not in my wildest dreams I thought he'd be so good already.  This offseason I had him around the 20-25th best player in the league.  Now he's making a legit case for top 5.

I still worry about THJ's shooting, Powell's defense, etc.
Like Reply
Tristan Thompson seems like a player who should be able to fill out the roll man-role while providing an upgrade inside.

'15-'16: 91st percentile as a PnR rollman
'16-'17: 79th percentile as a PnR rollman
17-'18: 81st percentile as a PnR rollman

Then LeBron left CLE and his numbers took a hit:

- '18-'19: 61st percentile as a PnR rollman
- '19-'20: 35th percentile as a PnR rollman

==> Imo his dip here in PnR-plays is explainable and I'd expect him to bounce back to his older numbers quickly once he plays with a better PG than the kids CLE has at that position.

On the boards Thompson has a higher TRB% and his On-Off-numbers on the boards are also a big plus in comparison to Powell.

I think he is the big man-target who makes the most sense a) stylistically and b) should be within our reach asset-wise without depleting our rotation too much. CLE has a high payroll for a lottery squad and he will be an UFA next summer. Seems like an ideal fit as a trade target for the Lee-contract. Maybe throw in a 2nd round pick and another minimum-guy to make the numbers work (Broekhoff would be enough) and you should be there already.

PF: Porzingis | Kleber
C: Thompson | Powell

would be a heck of a frontcourt with two good rim runners as well as two floor spacers.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 12:44 PM)embellisher Wrote:

The perfect piece, if you're only adding one, would be a person who plays good perimeter D and can also create for themselves, and put up 25 points if needed, when Luka is having a bad game. Oh, and is unselfish enough to defer to Luka when he's on, which is most of the time. 

Jrue Holiday, Victor Oladipo... or Malcolm Brogdon.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 05:12 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Tristan Thompson seems like a player who should be able to fill out the roll man-role while providing an upgrade inside.

'15-'16: 91st percentile as a PnR rollman
'16-'17: 79th percentile as a PnR rollman
17-'18: 81st percentile as a PnR rollman

Then LeBron left CLE and his numbers took a hit:

- '18-'19: 61st percentile as a PnR rollman
- '19-'20: 35th percentile as a PnR rollman

==> Imo his dip here in PnR-plays is explainable and I'd expect him to bounce back to his older numbers quickly once he plays with a better PG than the kids CLE has at that position.

On the boards Thompson has a higher TRB% and his On-Off-numbers on the boards are also a big plus in comparison to Powell.

I think he is the big man-target who makes the most sense a) stylistically and b) should be within our reach asset-wise without depleting our rotation too much. CLE has a high payroll for a lottery squad and he will be an UFA next summer. Seems like an ideal fit as a trade target for the Lee-contract. Maybe throw in a 2nd round pick and another minimum-guy to make the numbers work (Broekhoff would be enough) and you should be there already.

PF: Porzingis | Kleber
C: Thompson | Powell

would be a heck of a frontcourt with two good rim runners as well as two floor spacers.

I'm in, unless a slam-dunk move (i.e. Favors or a perimeter almost-star) is available.

(12-03-2019, 05:40 PM)Branduil Wrote:

Holiday, to me, is the grand pipe-dream. Only thing I don't like about it is that it almost certainly costs Wright (who is, when all is said and done, our best tradeable asset). Wright is like a Jrue starter kit but younger.
Like Reply
Very good read though it does not mention Hardaway going into the startling lineup because of injury , I am curious and not sure if he would give an honest answer not should he have to but I like to see if Rick would have eventually tried Hardaway next to Luke if Curty does not get hurt.
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 06:13 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: Very good read though it does not mention Hardaway going into the startling lineup because of injury , I am curious and not sure if he would give an honest answer not should he have to but I like to see if Rick would have eventually tried Hardaway next to Luke if Curty does not get hurt.

Luke and Curty, who's that ??     Rolleyes
Like Reply
(12-03-2019, 05:40 PM)Branduil Wrote:

Jimmy Butler!
Like Reply