Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it all mean?
So serious question. What if Doncic really is one of the greatest players in NBA history?

There are no words to describe what he's done through the first 19 games. Even the most optimistic Mavs fan has to be astonished. 

Even Dirk said he expected Luka to face some adversity as teams focus on stopping him. Turns out, the attention has just made him better.

Cuban is giddy. Teammates sound awe inspired. He's being compared to legends of the game by Hall of Fame coaches. He's having the best season for a 20 year old in history and it's not even close. 

No one could have expected this. Surely not Carlisle or even Donnie. 

So, how does this change things? IMHO

The Mavs BT went into the offseason looking for a dynamic playmaker to ride shotgun. Kemba Walker was the main target, along with some defensive help and shooting. 

Well Kemba didn't work out .... so the Mavs put the ball in Doncic's hands ... and that IS working out. Mavs now boast the best offense in NBA history. 

I'll argue that Doncic has risen so quickly that the Mavs are Championship contenders and this will certainly change how the BT approaches additions to the roster and trade deadline. 

Gentlemen and women, we are now in win now mode.

The Mavs can play with any team in the league and win on any given night.

Now the focus shifts to matchups versus the big dogs. All trade options are on the table. Future assets be damned. We don't need picks. Think we need a versatile wing to defend Kawhi? It's time to go get one. Think we need a bruiser to bang with Harrell? Go get one. 

We need players who are ready to go win an NBA title. The time is now.
Like Reply
I made a thread after the second NYK loss and asked if this team was a powder keg ready to explode or did we just have our come to Dirk moment? Looks like we got our answer in yesterday's game. 

In the darkness, LaLa Land, our savior Dirk Nowitzki showed up and lifted this team to the biggest statement win in eons. 

The team is starting to finally see the light with precise ball movement and a calming demeanor. We are playoff bound. No more of this fighting for the 8th seed, mediocrity treadmill garbage. Mavs are legit.

Is it time? I am not ready to say that quite yet although a minor tweak or two might just get me wearing this shirt again: 

[Image: time-now-shirt-dallas-mavericks-blue_1_7...4bf573.jpg]
Like Reply
I'd still play the long game. Don't lose a trade (in the long term) to get a win now vet. Don't short circuit the ceiling of what playing the long game could accomplish over the next 5 years because you salivating over what could happen this season.
Like Reply
Mavs never want to lose a trade. I'd never advocate for that. What I mean is I think the plan WAS to be opportunistic in the trade market while Porzingis works his way back and Doncic suffers through some sophomore growing pains. Then add a rotation piece in the 2020 draft.

But that plan no longer makes sense if Doncic is playing at an MVP level now. 

Instead of sitting back a waiting for something good to happen I think the Mavs can take a shot now. Go ahead and roll up your assets and make a deal for the player you want. For example, if Aaron Gordon is available and you think he's a 30+ min guy who can score and lock down Kawhi, make it happen. The Mavs have some assets to work with.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Go ahead and roll up your assets and make a deal for the player you want.

It's hard to argue with that even if you don't think you're a contender this year. The hope is that all this winning raises the value of our reasonably priced role players and that, like you said, we can find a trade that we win. I'd be hesitant to sacrifice too much of our depth. I guess I'm feeling greedy. The Clippers were able to build a team with two stars AND a deep, talented supporting cast. I'd sure like to try to pursue that end goal, even though I know we haven't gone the exact same road.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 03:01 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: So serious question. What if Doncic really is one of the greatest players in NBA history?

There are no words to describe what he's done through the first 19 games. Even the most optimistic Mavs fan has to be astonished. 

Even Dirk said he expected Luka face some adversity as teams focus on stopping him. Turns out, the attention has just made him better.

Cuban is giddy. Teammates sound awe inspired. He's being compared to legends of the game by Hall of Fame coaches. He's having the best season for a 20 year old in history and it's not even close. 

No one could have expected this. Surely not Carlisle or even Donnie. 

So, how does this change things? IMHO

The Mavs BT went into the offseason looking for a dynamic playmaker to ride shotgun. Kemba Walker was the main target, along with some defensive help and shooting. 

Well Kemba didn't work out .... so the Mavs put the ball in Doncic's hands ... and that IS working out. Mavs now boast the best offense in NBA history. 

I'll argue that Doncic has risen so quickly that the Mavs are Championship contenders and this will certainly change how the BT approaches additions to the roster and trade deadline. 

Gentlemen and women, we are now in win now mode.

The Mavs can play with any team in the league and win on any given night.

Now the focus shifts to matchups versus the big dogs. All trade options are on the table. Future assets be damned. We don't need picks. Think we need a versatile wing to defend Kawhi? It's time to go get one. Think we need a bruiser to bang with Harrell? Go get one. 

We need players who are ready to go win an NBA title. The time is now.
I realize you are probably just throwing this out there to see what responses you get, but I guess I'll play.

1. If you think the Mavs are already a championship defender, why do you want to make a bunch of trades?

2. The Mavs don't have a history of abandoning their plans and going in a different direction based on a pretty-good record in 19 games in a particular season. If fact, they're pretty stubborn about sticking with their decisions, if the past is any indication. If Luka threatened realistically to leave if they don't go all out on a win-now strategy, I could see that making a difference. He doesn't have tremendous leverage on any immediate basis, and I don't have any reason to think he is that kind of guy, but I guess it's possible. 

3. Perhaps more importantly, what assets do the Mavs have to trade for all these transformative players? And if you're just going for exchanging journeymen with slightly different pros and cons, you've lost whatever chemistry you developed, and will almost certainly have to step back for some period before going forward. Plus, you can't get anyone with a very long contract without limiting your options to get a real difference-maker in the near future. 

Even assuming the Mavs wanted to be in win-now mode, I don't see what assets they have that would fetch a championship roster from outside. If the guys they have step up, so much the better. I am wiling to be convinced otherwise, if you have reliable data.

(12-02-2019, 04:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Mavs never want to lose a trade. I'd never advocate for that. What I mean is I think the probably plan WAS to be opportunistic in the trade market while Porzingis works his way back and Doncic suffers through some sophomore growing pains. Then add a rotation piece in the 2020 draft.

But that plan no longer makes sense if Doncic is playing at an MVP level now. 

Instead of sitting back a waiting for something good to happen I think the Mavs can take a shot now. Go ahead and roll up your assets and make a deal for the player you want. For example, if Aaron Gordon is available and you think he's a 30+ min guy who can score and lock down Kawhi, make it happen. The Mavs have some assets to work with.
To get a player who can score and lock down Kawhi? Like what? For one, I don't know if such a player exists. For another, it is likely to take more than a few okay players and some mediocre/distant draft picks to fetch that guy.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: 1. If you think the Mavs are already a championship defender, why do you want to make a bunch of trades?

Who says I want to make a bunch of trades? I said this team is a contender and the focus should now shift to matchups. The Mavs match up well with the Lakers. If the BT thinks they need to add a piece to match up with the Clippers then I do think they should make a move so they can go compete for a title.

(12-02-2019, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavs don't have a history of abandoning their plans and going in a different direction

I'd argue they made the move to get Porzingis precisely because they believed Doncic changed the trajectory of the franchise.

(12-02-2019, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Perhaps more importantly, what assets do the Mavs have to trade for all these transformative players?

Again, I didn't say "all these transformative players". I suggested a move to match up with the Clippers. 

The Mavs have a $12 million exception, expiring deals, a young & efficient recent lottery pick (Jackson), Brunson, GSW 2nd, future 1st, and most importantly the Mavs have imagination and motivation.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:17 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I'd argue they made the move to get Porzingis precisely because they believed Doncic changed the trajectory of the franchise.

My guess is that it was a combination of:

1. Donnie has always wanted KP. 
2. Luka was farther along than they expected (what you alluded to above)
3. The vets who they thought could help to make a playoff run last season played for themselves or under-performed and didn't provide the environment or supporting cast that they wanted for Luka.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 03:01 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Future assets be damned. We don't need picks.

While I LOVE your post, and totally agree with you, one of my main gripes is with this point. 

Drafting a quality role player with a pick is infinitely more valuable than signing/trading for one. Having guaranteed team control guaranteed on a contributing piece for 4 years, PLUS the ability to make sure he stays for another 4/5 after his first contract is up, is one of the most powerful assets any team can have. Not to mention the contract is small.

A reason why the Mavs have such a deep team with the ability to add to it is solely because Luka is on his rookie contract.

Now obviously a pick is only worth it if you actually hit on it. If not then its practically dead weight (see Bernard James, Shane Larkin, Ricky Ledo etc. etc.). Given that the Mavs have hit on maybe 4 picks the last 7 years (Luka, Brunson, Crowder, DSJ), I am more than willing to part with picks. 

BUT the Mavs shouldn't just give away future assets for just anybody. Unless he's a major difference maker, the Mavs should be stingy with what's left of their asset cupboard. Andre Igoudala is my dream realistic get, but the Mavs shouldn't offer more than Lee+UTA 2nd rounder+some far off future protected 2nd rounder.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Like fifteenth, I think that Donnie always wanted KP. I also happen to think Donnie knew exactly how good Luka would be. Maybe not this quick but he knew.

I think they may make a move at the deadline if a clear upgrade is there. However, I feel like this team can overcome quite a bit because of having good chemistry, internal growth of the current roster, KP rounding into form knocking off the rust, and having a great coach.

I said many times that the Mavs were going to shock a lot of people this year. I mentioned earlier that if it went how I thought it would go this is what we would see was a Mavs top 4 seed. My worst case was a 7-8 seed. I don't know that they win it all this year but I do see them looking like a contender by the end of the season.

I love this recap as it describes just how I think they are on the verge of being a contender.

Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Andre Igoudala is my dream realistic get

My top three targets would be with an eye toward a Clippers matchup. A big defensive wing / small ball four. 

1. Aaron Gordon (pipe dream)
2. Thad Young (possibly attainable)
3. Andre Igoudala (certainly on the radar but at 36, not worth mortgaging much in terms of future assets)
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:17 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: 1. If you think the Mavs are already a championship defender, why do you want to make a bunch of trades?

Who says I want to make a bunch of trades? I said this team is a contender and the focus should now shift to matchups. The Mavs match up well with the Lakers. If the BT thinks they need to add a piece to match up with the Clippers then I do think they should make a move so they can go compete for a title.

(12-02-2019, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavs don't have a history of abandoning their plans and going in a different direction

I'd argue they made the move to get Porzingis precisely because they believed Doncic changed the trajectory of the franchise.

(12-02-2019, 04:12 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Perhaps more importantly, what assets do the Mavs have to trade for all these transformative players?

Again, I didn't say "all these transformative players". I suggested a move to match up with the Clippers. 

The Mavs have a $12 million exception, expiring deals, a young & efficient recent lottery pick (Jackson), Brunson, GSW 2nd, future 1st, and most importantly the Mavs have imagination and motivation.
Did not intend to overstate your position. I thought you wanted to make significant moves because it seemed to me that it would take more than one or two moderate upgrades to put together a championship roster this season. Maybe you see it differently. 

I don't see any team with a player who can score and lock down Kawhi as being eager to trade said player for any or all of those assets.

These assets just aren't that great.

The trade exception requires finding a trade partner who needs to unload a player the Mavs want within the one-year expiration date. The vast majority of trade exceptions expire unused. I can see the Mavs finding someone who is not a game-changer, at best, since it has to be used in-season. Or maybe you have someone in mind. 

The is Jackson's fourth year in the league. He has never made it off the bench in Sacramento or Dallas. Brunson was a second-round pick. Neither of them has a consistent place in the rotation. 

Those picks aren't anything special. We would likely have to add sweeteners to unload the expiring deals. 

I don't like to be a negative Nancy. I like our guys, just as you do. I just think it is unrealistic to think any other team is going to want to trade a starting-quality two-way guy for them. And if one is not available, it doesn't make sense to just rearrange a few deck chairs during the season if you want to contend with a bunch of youngsters. 

Agree that the Mavs are imaginative and motivated, and I am sure they could make creative use of the salary cap rules, but that doesn't make their assets any more valuable than they are. 

Of course, this is all theoretical, so I guess it doesn't hurt to imagine scenarios. Do you have a realistic possibility in mind? We could consider that, if so.  If you're engaged in happily fan-tasizing, then, by all means, dream on!  If you turn out to be right, I will celebrate along with you!

P.S. I see that you identified a few possibilities. Maybe Iggy would be available for some kind of manageable price. I haven't dug into the details, but I think his salary is too high to use the trade exception. Not sure why Memphis would want to take on Courtney Lee's or Tim Hardaway's contract at this point in their development cycle, but maybe they have some use for them.  I don't know the details on it, but the Grizz weren't able to get any kind of quality asset when they tried to trade him before, so possibly they would be willing to lower their expectations now. (Believe they wanted a high draft pick or valuable young player, iirc.) He is old at this point, but he is, or at least used to be, a big-time player. The chances of winning the title are low this season, with or without him, but he might help. 
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:36 PM)audiosway Wrote: I love this recap

Heart
Like Reply
Means 15+ years of highly competitive basketball and I can't wait.
Like Reply
When all said and done I believe the sport person Luka will be compared to is not another basketball player. Because I dont think there is another one that has the number of skill sets that he has. Maybe Bird but then not again completely. Maybe Magic. I think in the end Luka is like a very cerebral QB that runs a system and adapts the player around him to that system he runs to perfection. Brady will be the sport person he will be compared to. Not athletic yet gets all done, and has that toughness and winning mentality. He cant stand to lose and will not accept to lose.

It looks already like he is building a system around him and already now that system is the best offense in the history of the game. Wait until players around him adjust to this even more, and that he adjusts them to the way he plays. He will improve on defense as well.

No doubt Mavs will win championships with Luka. Question is more how many?

I think this thread raises a very important and relevant question. One that Mavs must ask right now. Not later but immediately.

In my opinion they can take everyone down. Not in the next years, but this year already. Everyone that is besides the Clippers. I can see Mavs facing Clippers in the Conference Finals the way this is unfolding at the moment.

What Mavs need to improve is the defense. They were pushed around in the paint. Also need a PF or C that has an all around game on offense in the paint. Not a 3 point shooter. One that can play traditionally and score in different ways and posting up. This is what is missing, that weapon is not existing at all at the moment. KP brings rim protection on defense and 3 point shot on offense. They need next to him one that also plays defense but has that inside offensive all around game. Kleber checks that box on defense, however on offense he brings pretty much the same as KP not more dimensions than the outside shot. Thus, they dont complement well.

This is why Vucevic would have been a terrific addition and make Mavs a championship team. Because he brings that complementarity and that leaves KP to stay more outside and knock down the shots. At the moment neither KP, Kleber nor Powell have none of that all around inside game that is really the missing piece to make Mavs offense unstoppable. At the moment Mavs offense is not unstoppable as we saw the Clippers could contain the Mavs.

I think a traditional offensive PF or C with also good rebounding and solid defense would be a great fit and exactly a missing piece to a championship this season. Vucevic would have been perfect but Love also has that all around game and post moves. I think a player with those skillsets would make a huge difference against the Clippers deep in playoffs and make Mavs an all around offense that can beat you in every kind of way.
Like Reply
I don't think the Mavs will be making any trades until all of the restrictions wear off. There's plenty of time for our current non-Luka/KP players to raise their trade value. Of course, if that happens, unless whatever trade we made was a slam-dunk, then there will be a ton of guys whinging, "I can't believe we traded _____________." 

This year feels a little bit like the Jameer/Rondo year to me. Most important thing is not to make a trade that irrevocably kills chemistry, especially if it's for an expiring guy whom we can't wait for the door to hit him on the way out. I think our most valuable trade chip is Wright, and I don't want to see him go for anyone who isn't top 50 in the league, especially given his contract. That said, this is still a team that plays three bench guys in the starting lineup, and (IIRC) is not going to have more than the MLE and their draft pick to rectify that next summer. I think they have to add a player for Lee and 2nds if nothing else, whether that guy is a starter or simply strengthens our non-Luka/KP corps.
Like Reply
I wish we would have gone after Jimmy Butler. His combination of offense and defense would have been a great match.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 04:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Drafting a quality role player with a pick is infinitely more valuable than signing/trading for one.

Totally agree with this. However, it's looking like the Mavs 2020 pick is going to be mid- late 20s. Can you hit on an instant rotation piece in a deep draft? Sure - see Josh Howard - but odds are against it - and even if you do a typical rookie takes 3+ years to develop. Bigs even longer. 

Besides, the Mavs can't trade their 2020 pick anyway. 

Much safer for a win now team to package its assets and obtain a known commodity as soon as possible. Especially since they currently have wasted money on the books (Lee).

For example, would the Mavs be willing to use the trade exception + 15th roster spot to take on bad salary in exchange for a no 1? I'm not sure but I think OKC is still above luxury tax. Also Miami, GSW, Houston, Portland. Detroit's salary is way too high given on court production.

If the Mavs can use the TE to obtain a tradeable no 1 pick their assets look much better.

Lee = cap space
Jackson = young player (shooting 46% from 3 with PER above 16)

Remember, high level players are often traded for something in the neighborhood of cap space + young player + no 1 pick(s)
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 07:15 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 04:30 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Drafting a quality role player with a pick is infinitely more valuable than signing/trading for one.

Totally agree with this. However, it's looking like the Mavs 2020 pick is going to be mid- late 20s. Can you hit on an instant rotation piece in a deep draft? Sure - see Josh Howard - but odds are against it - and even if you do a typical rookie takes 3+ years to develop. Bigs even longer. 

Besides, the Mavs can't trade their 2020 pick anyway. 

Much safer for a win now team to package its assets and obtain a known commodity as soon as possible. Especially since they currently have wasted money on the books (Lee).

For example, would the Mavs be willing to use the trade exception + 15th roster spot to take on bad salary in exchange for a no 1? I'm not sure but I think OKC is still above luxury tax. Also Miami, GSW, Houston, Portland. Detroit's salary is way too high given on court production.

A trade exception cannot be combined with a player for salary matching purposes. 

If the Mavs can use the TE to obtain a tradeable no 1 pick their assets look much better.

Lee = cap space
Jackson = young player (shooting 46% from 3 with PER above 16)

Remember, high level players are often traded for something in the neighborhood of cap space + young player + no 1 pick(s)
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 07:23 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: A trade exception cannot be combined with a player for salary matching purposes. 

All I'm suggesting is the Mavs could waive Roby and then trade "air" e.g. something like a future 2nd for someone like Roberson + No 1. 

Roberson would fit into the Mavs TE and save OKC millions and millions. Probably not the best example, but that's the idea.

Another example might be Mavs future 2nd for Dion Waiters + No 1. 

A package of [ Lee + Jackson + MIA #1 + GSW #2 ] should get you a high level starter.

Mavs would also stay just below the tax line (I think)
Like Reply