Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 33: DAL (17-16) @ HOU (9-23) | 112-106 win
(12-24-2022, 06:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Selling role players to collect whatever future assets they can get

Been preaching this for a couple years.
Like Reply
(12-24-2022, 06:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The difference between THJ/Bullock types and Pinson/Frank isn´t the difference between a contender and a lottery team.

Luka and a bunch of merry-minimums would be just as good as this team. All the money sunk into these other players is a complete waste.
Like Reply
Maybe cheesy, but I don't care.  I think Followell's Latvian Laser call and sounds may be my favorite thing about this team this year.
Like Reply
(12-24-2022, 06:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs without Luka lost. Mavs with Luka but without Maxi, DFS, Green and Kemba won. Even if people aren´t willing to embrace the tank. Selling role players to collect whatever future assets they can get isn´t going to change the ceiling of the team. The difference between THJ/Bullock types and Pinson/Frank isn´t the difference between a contender and a lottery team.

Yeah I made a similar case, that I´m not sure how much worse this team would actually get, if they made "tanking" trades.The big teams must be watching games like yesterday licking their chops. They know this can only end with Luka leaving. Everybody made fun of the 55-60 win regular season Cavs. The Mavs can´t even build a 50 win team around the best player in the league.
Like Reply
(12-24-2022, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Interesting.   In these rough games, I keep on going back to a comment from Cato from a few weeks ago.  

Here is what he said- Dorian Finney-Smith and Reggie Bullock, the old archetype, are still valuable NBA players. They’re not the players true title contenders are seeking anymore, though. Green, and his on-ball dynamism, is what the elite teams crave.

When the Mavs have guys like DFS, Bullock and Maxi on the floor (sometimes all at the same time) it just really makes this apparent.   Maybe you can have one of these guys on the floor (sometimes two when Maxi is stroking it causing problems for big lumbering centers).   Bullock is absolutely no threat when an open shot isn't there.   He acts like the ball is a hot potato.   Last night both Wright and Pinson were able to create and get into the lane in the first half and made things happen.   

I keep waiting for Bullock to play better.    Even if he does, with this team this year, he really seems like a very limited player that needs to play with guys who can all create.  That is not this years Mavs.

I'm not sure where Cato's thoughts stop and yours begin but I'd call BS on the first part.  Any team would crave one of the leagues best defenders that can guard 1-4 and who can stretch the floor, despite his other shortcomings.  Maxi would also be desirable for similar reasons.  

The second point is a lot more valid in having three of those types of players at once, but that might be a chicken or egg situation.  Elite teams have a lot more talent so you'd probably only get one or maybe two of those types of players on the floor once.  I see that more as a failure of the Mavs ability to evaluate and acquire talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply