Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 34: LAL (13-20) @ DAL (18-16) | 124-115 win
(12-26-2022, 08:02 AM)omahen Wrote: The only big wing Mavs had was Maxi. LeBron was feasting against smaller defenders and Kidd didn't want to put Luka on him (who had foul trouble even without that). So Powell was basically the only option left. I was surprised Mavs didn't want to double on LeBron, because the LA supporting cast really sucks.

Offensively, I think any line-up would work against LA. They literally don't play defense. The only thing they did in first half was double Luka and Mavs started with real ice-cold shooting (and some stupid decisions, early shots and similar). Once those wide open shots started going in, Lakers had to abandon double teams and then it was over quickly.  

So, what are you trying to say?  Are you trying to discount the fact that the Wood/Powell lineup worked with your opinions?

So, your opinion is that Kidd's "only option" was to try something he basically hasn't done all season?  If so, then wouldn't that have been the "only option" in all of the games Maxi has missed?  So, it wasn't his only option?  

So, your opinion is that the team that held us to 21 in the first and 22 in the second doesn't play any D?  OK, so the solution was to put a non-shooting big in the lineup?  Many here have said that can't possibly work.  It just clogs up the lane and ruin's Luka's effectiveness.  It forces Wood into the corner and takes away the best parts of his game.  And when neither of those things happened, you want to discount it and say it doesn't matter?

Sorry, I think it does matter.  Right this minute our best five is the five that started the third quarter (Powell in place of Bullock).  The hue and cry around here has been that Kidd should play his best players.  It should apply across the board, not just to Wood.  If you want to discount the key stretch in yesterday's game, the more accurate critique would be that it won't work against the Lillard's of the world.  Or, it only worked because the Laker guards can't shoot.  Still opinions, but probably closer to accurate.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 09:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Kidd should play his best players

YES, play your best players and adjust your coaching and scheming to fit your best players and your best talent.
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 09:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, what are you trying to say?  Are you trying to discount the fact that the Wood/Powell lineup worked with your opinions?

So, your opinion is that Kidd's "only option" was to try something he basically hasn't done all season?  If so, then wouldn't that have been the "only option" in all of the games Maxi has missed?  So, it wasn't his only option?  

Why so agitated?

I tried to outline why I think Wood and Powell line-up happened and why it might be very special circumstances it worked on both ends. I didn't say it didn't work or it was a bad decision. But I am not drawing any conclusions from this game against such a version of Lakers.

And no, Lakers didn't play defense in first half, imho. LeBron had zero effort on defense, he only plays offense. Mavs got a gazillion open shots and missed most of them. As I said in one of the previous posts - arguably worst basketball I have seen in NBA.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 09:43 AM)omahen Wrote: Mavs got a gazillion open shots and missed most of them.

That's the crazy thing. The Mavs got probably the most amount of wide open shots they've had in years and still bricked a good chunk. This could've been a 160 to 90 point blowout had the Mavs wings hit their shots consistently. THJ could've had 40+ with how many wide open shots he had. Bullock easily 20+.

The crypt keeper himself Hubie Brown was pointing it out all game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, omahen
Like Reply
(12-26-2022, 01:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The crypt keeper himself Hubie Brown was pointing it out all game.

This.
Like Reply