Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 62: LAL (28-32) @ DAL (32-29) | 2:30 CST tip
A first is too valuable an asset to be dealt for DFS alone imho. player worth giving up a first or firsts has to be a borderline star player at least (e.g. wood).
[-] The following 2 users Like LukaMVP's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 10:19 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: You have a point about the injury and it could have an effect in his defense too.
But let's not stray away from the topic that he is still complaining a lot and still doesn't exert enough effort on D.

Its gotten to the point with me where I'm starting to not give him the benefit of the doubt on that anymore. There was a time during the game where he went to the floor and laid there holding his head while the Lakers went on a fast break, and I didn't even really think he was injured. Next time down he was standing down there and kept on going. 

I am SO tired of watching him to stop to complain on made shots, missed shots, even on shots taken by others he turns around and has to say something. 

I'm sure I'll get roasted for saying it as he is an incredible talent, but he has to grow up and play hard, no matter how talented he is. I miss Dirk so much. He was constantly working, trying to get better, refining his diet, whatever he could do to improve. If Luka would do that there is no stopping him.

And play faster for God's sake. The team is clearly better on both ends when they are more involved, and they get more involved by running and passing, which in turn leads to more effort on the defensive end, even when undersized. 

Totally agree with those wondering about not playing Green. What the hell is Kidd thinking? I love DFS, but I don't want him back as it would just be another excuse for Kidd not to play Green. Green should start, NO MATTER WHAT, for the rest of the season. He needs the minutes, he'll get better still, and he can act as third ball handler and passer.

Really starting to get frustrated with what I'm seeing here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LifeAquatic's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
We might just have the worst coach in the league
It's getting concerning
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 10:08 PM)sefant Wrote: 109.9 DefRtg vs. Lakers is totally fine, which is roughly equiv to a top 3 defense in the league.

The defensive rating for this game might be ok, but it is because Lakers shot 17 % from three. Defense is trash.
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 02:33 AM)omahen Wrote: The defensive rating for this game might be ok, but it is because Lakers shot 17 % from three. Defense is trash.

In other words, It's a anomaly.
Like Reply
I am still upset with Green's minutes yesterday.  He did get 3 fouls quick...maybe sub him out at 2 though, but he did pick up the third quickly.   But yesterday is the prefect opportunity for him to feel playoff atmosphere.   He was even chirping yesterday after causing a turnover.   Then to see him go to the bench a few minutes later and not appear again.   Then he needs to watch Reeves make a few big plays and finish with 27 minutes as another young player.

I am not saying he is perfect and we will certainly need to push through some growing pains, but Green has deserved more minutes due to his play recently.   He also provides things others on the team does not.   

I think he should start, but whatever.  Regardless if he starts or comes off the bench he has earned around 30 minutes a night, most nights.  And is one of my top guys I want in closing time.    It will be ugly at times but sooner or later you have to see if he can fly.

(02-27-2023, 02:33 AM)omahen Wrote: The defensive rating for this game might be ok, but it is because Lakers shot 17 % from three. Defense is trash.

That is a good point.  The three ball can really make things impossible to make judgements in a game/games.
Like Reply
Wood getting just 20 minutes despite his pretty decent play and the bad matchup (and play) by Powell against AD.  Green getting relegated to the bench and just getting spot minutes.  It’s astonishing that it’s nearly March, and Kidd still doesn’t have a consistent or the correct rotation.
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 08:44 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Wood getting just 20 minutes despite his pretty decent play and the bad matchup (and play) by Powell against AD.  Green getting relegated to the bench and just getting spot minutes.  It’s astonishing that it’s nearly March, and Kidd still doesn’t have a consistent or the correct rotation.

I really think they promised Holiday a starting spot to get him which is embarrassing and really disappointing. Kidd commented the other day that Holiday will be a starter here. The Wood situation is just as disappointing. At this point, I think they need to throw out their best 5 as starters and give it hell the last 20 games with the hope of finding their groove by the playoffs. Also Luka is a real problem with the whining and making his team play 4v5 numerous plays a game. Either Kidd or Kyrie need to make him realize how bad that hurts the team.
Like Reply
I was only able to watch the second half... The loss stings!! But even worse, I noticed that Green didn't start, after Kidd said emphatically 3 days ago in an interview that Green WAS a starter. 

Did Kidd just ruin one of the few bright spot this season, with shaking the kids' confidence?!?! Not only did he lose his starting spot to a guy that was cut by his old team, but he only played 16 minutes?

I am officially worried!
Like Reply
Vanderbilt would have easily been worth that first we held on to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 08:51 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Kidd commented the other day that Holiday will be a starter here.
His comment was that he would get spot starts. In the same statement he said Green is a permanent starter though.
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 10:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: His comment was that he would get spot starts. In the same statement he said Green is a permanent starter though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mavsmon...an-antonio

"As I talked about, he can start here. Just to look at that, see how he does in a starting role".

This is the comment that alarmed me.
Like Reply
I’m never going to be a Kidd apologist, because there are many things about him I just don’t buy.

But, I think way too much is being made of this Holiday starting over Green thing. I think it was a temporary measure to accomplish two things:

1) accelerate the “crash course” schedule of getting Holiday acclimated to the team. Say what you want, but to me he has been better than expected and will unquestionably be in the stretch run/playoff rotation.

2) give him a shot to play the DFS role against a big, athletic front court like LA’s. This is unquestionably the biggest design flaw with the roster right now, so I get Kidd’s interest in experimenting for a week or so to find the best mix at his disposal. It didn’t go well, but I understand the thinking.

And, Green hasn’t been super great for this recent stretch (four games or so), so while he has obviously solidified his role on the team moving forward, I think there possibly could’ve been some thinking that scaling him back to his old role for a game or three might help recoup some of his comfort and confidence. 

It didn’t occur to me to wonder if Holiday was actually being given a chance to leap frog Green in the role hierarchy in any sort of permanent sense, and I don’t believe that’s the case after seeing some worry about it here.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 11:06 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mavsmon...an-antonio

"As I talked about, he can start here. Just to look at that, see how he does in a starting role".

This is the comment that alarmed me.

With Kidd, it’s all about his players understanding that he has their interests in mind. Them knowing that he believes in them. Do I think that SHOULD be what concerns the HEAD coach of a professional basketball team whose players earn multi-million dollar salaries, annually? No, but understanding that HE thinks that’s important goes a long way towards clarity (I think) about what these statements actually mean.
Like Reply
I honestly would be fine with Holiday leap frogging Bullock, but it looks like the 3 of them are gonna man our 2/3/4 spots for a lot of minutes, at least until Maxi comes back. At that point, those 4 minutes will scale back a good bit.
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 11:14 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I honestly would be fine with Holiday leap frogging Bullock, but it looks like the 3 of them are gonna man our 2/3/4 spots for a lot of minutes, at least until Maxi comes back. At that point, those 4 minutes will scale back a good bit.

I was happy to see Morris get some time, because he’s a type that doesn’t really exist on this roster. IF he can play (jury still out for me after yesterday) he could be a useful option to rotate as 10th man with Ntilikina.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 11:17 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I was happy to see Morris get some time, because he’s a type that doesn’t really exist on this roster. IF he can play (jury still out for me after yesterday) he could be a useful option to rotate as 10th man with Ntilikina.
I have been looking for them to get a Morris type, I just wish he was younger and was a better player. Keef has always been the much lesser brother to start with, now with age and being out of shape, I am disheartened. Also don’t like his rebounding numbers for a guy that likes to bang as much as he does. Makes me think it’s banging without a purpose. We’ll see cause I’m sure he’ll get more chances. You’re right, jury is still out from his showing yesterday. I’ve always been a wait and see guy with new acquisitions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 11:30 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I have been looking for them to get a Morris type, I just wish he was younger and was a better player. Keef has always been the much lesser brother to start with, now with age and being out of shape, I am disheartened. Also don’t like his rebounding numbers for a guy that likes to bang as much as he does. Makes me think it’s banging without a purpose. We’ll see cause I’m sure he’ll get more chances. You’re right, jury is still out from his showing yesterday. I’ve always been a wait and see guy with new acquisitions.

Interesting how both career trajectories changed after they left the Suns. It was actually the opposite in their early seasons.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/8/12/9...hoodwinked

Quote:The Morris twins are furious that Marcus (the lesser basketball player) was traded by the Suns to the Pistons in July as Phoenix chased cap space to lure LaMarcus Aldridge. On Wednesday, Markieff Morris (the better basketball player) demanded a trade, claiming that the Suns had acted unprofessionally toward the twins.
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 11:11 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: With Kidd, it’s all about his players understanding that he has their interests in mind. Them knowing that he believes in them. Do I think that SHOULD be what concerns the HEAD coach of a professional basketball team whose players earn multi-million dollar salaries, annually? No, but understanding that HE thinks that’s important goes a long way towards clarity (I think) about what these statements actually mean.

Unless your name is Christian Wood.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh, rocky164
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 11:07 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m never going to be a Kidd apologist, because there are many things about him I just don’t buy.

But, I think way too much is being made of this Holiday starting over Green thing. I think it was a temporary measure to accomplish two things:

1) accelerate the “crash course” schedule of getting Holiday acclimated to the team. Say what you want, but to me he has been better than expected and will unquestionably be in the stretch run/playoff rotation.

2) give him a shot to play the DFS role against a big, athletic front court like LA’s. This is unquestionably the biggest design flaw with the roster right now, so I get Kidd’s interest in experimenting for a week or so to find the best mix at his disposal. It didn’t go well, but I understand the thinking.

And, Green hasn’t been super great for this recent stretch (four games or so), so while he has obviously solidified his role on the team moving forward, I think there possibly could’ve been some thinking that scaling him back to his old role for a game or three might help recoup some of his comfort and confidence. 

It didn’t occur to me to wonder if Holiday was actually being given a chance to leap frog Green in the role hierarchy in any sort of permanent sense, and I don’t believe that’s the case after seeing some worry about it here.

I know you aren't responding to my post directly but to explain my worry in a few more words.

There are 3 players on this team that should be permanent starters. Even if you don't agree with that statement, there should be 3 players that get ~30+ minutes a night.

If Kidd wants to experiment with starting Holiday, trying him in the DFS role, I think it's fantastic. Do it at the expense of Bullock or Hardaway.

Green will likely be here the next 3+ years. Holiday, Bullock and Hardaway most definitely will not be.

If you're Kidd you're focus should be finding what works with Luka/Irving/Green. A 4 or 5 game stretch where Green isn't setting the world on fire doesn't warrant playing 16 minutes and inferior (temporary) players are leaping him in the rotation.

It is one game - but like you, I don't have much faith that Kidd has some master plan up his sleeve.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply