Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Suns 113
I like JB and JJB

JB should aspire to be as good as JJB still is
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 12:03 PM)sefant Wrote: Big part of the win was the bench mob getting Suns to 5 fouls in roughly 4 min. Its even harder to defend the best offense in the league if you are in the penalty early. We got roughly 6-8 FTs extra on non shooting fouls over the last 8 min of the game because they were in the penalty.

Definitely a factor. 

Also felt like they won the game on defense in the 4th, Suns had a lot of empty poss in the 4th. Rubio got denied at least twice by KP at the rim. Suns couldn't get easy baskets inside with KP in. Everyone see's the box score of KP, but the dude certainly had winning plays on defense in the 4th that don't show on the box score.

Sixteen of seventeen free throw attempts in the fourth quarter were crucial. Agree that Porzingis was huge. 

Also the Suns were healthy again. The last 2 weeks they missed Rubio and/or Baynes. That was certainly a good win.
Like Reply
Mavs new look starting lineup now leads in minutes for the season. THJ is getting it done. Powell is still struggling, I don't get why he is still locked into the starting lineup. I'd love to see Kleber in the starting lineup now that THJ has solidified the guard spot for the time being.

I just don't see Powell doing much out there that makes me think he's making any sort of significant contribution. It feels like they are leaving money on the table not finding a better player for that spot.

(11-30-2019, 02:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-30-2019, 01:00 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It's sad people actually believe more Barea = better. Brunson is already better than he ever was.

Barea's a gimmick player like Boban, only useful in small doses or he'll get exposed. Remember everybody hyping Boban after a couple games?

Barea's 35 coming off an Achilles injury for goodness sake. But yeah I get it, we need that 2011 nostalgia shot to remind us of the "good times." Damn hippies.

Must be watching a different Brunson and a different JJB than I've seen this year. Me, I was watching the ones playing for the Dallas Mavericks.

I like Brunson. He is hard to judge on such inconsistent minutes. I think if he had a consistent role off the bench for 15-20 minutes a night he'd look better than he does at the moment.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 10:17 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: What is Dwight Powell doing out there?
Don't believe the Mavs have given up on Powell. They acknowledge that he doesn't have the numbers he used to, but feel that the structure of the team (and therefore his role) is quite different now. They are reportedly not that worried about his stats, believing that he sets up teammates by playing with "force," diving to the basket, pursuing the ball, and setting screens. Also, that it hasn't been that long since he has been back to full health, after his hamstring injury. 

Not serving as an apologist for that position, just passing it on. 
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 08:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(11-30-2019, 10:17 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: What is Dwight Powell doing out there?
Don't believe the Mavs have given up on Powell. They acknowledge that he doesn't have the numbers he used to, but feel that the structure of the team (and therefore his role) is quite different now. They are reportedly not that worried about his stats, believing that he sets up teammates by playing with "force," diving to the basket, pursuing the ball, and setting screens. Also, that it hasn't been that long since he has been back to full health, after his hamstring injury.

Not serving as an apologist for that position, just passing it on.

Yeah, it's crap like that that makes me still not trust the MBT in spite of targeting Luka and trading for KP. DP should be given the opportunity to work back into playing usefulness by beginning the game on the bench and not getting more than 10-15 mpg until his play improves. Maxi should start.
Like Reply
(11-30-2019, 10:34 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote:
Derek Nowitzki Wrote:A great win, and I’m loving what the team has been doing lately, but the negatives that are really standing out to me are:

Too many possessions with Luka dribbling for 20 seconds and then hoisting up ridiculous step back 3’s... they look great when they go in, but often feels like a wasted possession.

It seems Seth has been reduced to just a bit-part spot-up shooter role... I could be wrong, but I feel like his first stint with us, he actually did well as a shot creator; would like to see him given some chances to run things, or at least have more plays called for him.

What is Dwight Powell doing out there?
I'm not liking what I see with Curry either. He's a spot up shooter, but doesn't seem to be hitting as many open looks. He's currently at almost 38% on three attempts, but we're talking about a guy that was at 44% on threes for a career coming into the season. Which has him top 5 all time.  So you can feel those handful of extra misses so far this year.  Curry has a role here, but he's also expendable if we had to add him to a trade.

Everyone not named Luka or Kristaps is highly expendable, from the Mavs' point of view. I think the issue is more what level of demand, if any, exists for those players. In Seth's case, there might be a little. There's always room for a shooter on a contender. But I doubt he would fetch a difference-maker. I realize you are suggesting he might be used as filler, rather than serve as an independent piece. He is on a pretty reasonable contract, so I guess that could work. 

Powell? I don't even want to get started on him. He is worthless so far this year. He looked good the 2nd half of last season, but he's not the same player at the moment.
Like Reply
I think moat Mavs players have value of some sort. THJ is too expensive to trade although his value goes up by the day. Powell's value is very low and Mavs love him for some reason. Boban is a bit player so not much value except for a similar role player.

Curry, Wright, Maxi, DFS, Brunson, Jackson all have value. Moving Brunson would be selling low, I think his value will be on the rise eventually if he gets more minutes.

Curry's value to me is pretty stable even while he is struggling because teams know he is an elite shooter and you can never have too many of those.
Like Reply
(12-01-2019, 09:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think moat Mavs players have value of some sort. THJ is too expensive to trade although his value goes up by the day. Powell's value is very low and Mavs love him for some reason. Boban is a bit player so not much value except for a similar role player.

Curry, Wright, Maxi, DFS, Brunson, Jackson all have value. Moving Brunson would be selling low, I think his value will be on the rise eventually if he gets more minutes.

Curry's value to me is pretty stable even while he is struggling because teams know he is an elite shooter and you can never have too many of those.
I agree that some of these players might be able to be unloaded without sweeteners.

But for fans expecting a trade to transform the team into a contender, I just don't see any or all of the Mavs' assets as bringing in a game-changer. I could be wrong, and I will be happy if that is the case.
Like Reply