Poll: How many points does Kyrie score in his Mavs debut? O/U 26.5
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Over
80.00%
8 80.00%
Under
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 56: DAL (30-26) vs. LAC (31-27) | 110-104 WIN!
[Image: ueprhkxuevga1.jpg?width=629&auto=webp&v=...12334608e1]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I might put a bet on the Mavs in this game. Kyrie is going to come out motivated.
Like Reply
I sure hope so. 

A motivated Kyrie is all but needed for this team to win a game.

My starting 5 prediction is: 

Kyrie
Green
Bullock
Wood 
Powell

But Kidd might get cute and bring Wood off the bench and include THJ in that lineup. We'll see though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 12:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I sure hope so. 

A motivated Kyrie is all but needed for this team to win a game.

My starting 5 prediction is: 

Kyrie
Green
Bullock
Wood 
Powell

But Kidd might get cute and bring Wood off the bench and include THJ in that lineup. We'll see though.

I think THJ stays in the starting lineup, unless they hold him out for trade purposes. We'll see though.
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 12:49 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I think THJ stays in the starting lineup. We'll see though.

He will. Unless he's out completely, for a trade or whatever.
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 12:49 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I think THJ stays in the starting lineup, unless they hold him out for trade purposes. We'll see though.

Of course he will. Why do people continue to think different?
Like Reply
So Green is out then? 

The dude led the entire team to a win. I feel like he should be rewarded with a starting spot.
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 12:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: So Green is out then? 

The dude led the entire team to a win. I feel like he should be rewarded with a starting spot.

Bullock would be out from your OP

And/Or Wood
Like Reply

What? No - Bullock. 

If Luka is healthy, you don't bench THJ unless you're removing him from the rotation entirely. The splits are just as consistent as Bullock's seasonal splits. However, this would be a reasonable game for him to be on the bench with Luka out. 

I'm going to be a very sad puppy if THJ is still on the roster by tomorrow afternoon.
Like Reply

I'd start him, too, but in Bullock's spot. 

...and I don't think it's a given that Kidd will start him at all. We've heard calls for it here all season and lately the media types have picked up the cry, but as we saw with Wood, Kidd has his own idea of the pecking order. 

And that's what it is to him, much more than it was with Carlisle (right or wrong) - a pecking order. Green is the young kid. Bullock and THJ are the veteran leaders. It's so clear to me that Kidd thinks upsetting that isn't something to be done lightly. He might be right, I'm not sure. But both Nellie and Carlisle would throw lineups together based on synergy and fit, so that's what we're all used to as fans. I honestly, truly believe Kidd thinks more like he did as a player. There are likely pros and cons to each approach. 

To be clear, I expect Green to be a starter soon - it's impossible to deny that he's super important to this team. Part of the equation seems to be getting the rest of the team on board with that concept, however. Also, the way he plays, with so much energy...I think it's easy to assume he can simply extend that approach to longer minutes without dipping in effectiveness, but his conditioning might actually still be a work in progress. It is for most young players. 

This might all get cleared up by that "one more trade"...whatever it is.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Don´t see how KL/PG13 can cope with Green/Hardy. They might as well forfeit the game right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 01:03 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Don´t see how KL/PG13 can cope with Green/Hardy. They might as well forfeit the game right now.

I know you're half joking, but I actually do love the infusion of energy and speed those two provide. It's a welcome change. 

Pretty much the only thing the Grizzlies have going for them, as far as I can tell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 01:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'd start him, too, but in Bullock's spot. 

...and I don't think it's a given that Kidd will start him at all. We've heard calls for it here all season and lately the media types have picked up the cry, but as we saw with Wood, Kidd has his own idea of the pecking order. 

And that's what it is to him, much more than it was with Carlisle (right or wrong) - a pecking order. Green is the young kid. Bullock and THJ are the veteran leaders. It's so clear to me that Kidd thinks upsetting that isn't something to be done lightly. He might be right, I'm not sure. But both Nellie and Carlisle would throw lineups together based on synergy and fit, so that's what we're all used to as fans. I honestly, truly believe Kidd thinks more like he did as a player. There are likely pros and cons to each approach. 

To be clear, I expect Green to be a starter soon - it's impossible to deny that he's super important to this team. Part of the equation seems to be getting the rest of the team on board with that concept, however. Also, the way he plays, with so much energy...I think it's easy to assume he can simply extend that approach to longer minutes without dipping in effectiveness, but his conditioning might actually still be a work in progress. It is for most young players. 

This might all get cleared up by that "one more trade"...whatever it is.

Moreover, no denying that Green is a huge spark off the bench. He brings a renewing energy. He has also begun to finish games recently, which he has earned.

I'll be interested to see if Kidd changes up Luka's minutes patterns. If not, I would assume Kyrie gets a six-minute rest in the first quarter and starts the first six of the second. In any event, the patterns have to change somewhat. The whole point of "get this kid some help" is that his minutes, as well as his usage, need to go down.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 01:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'll be interested to see if Kidd changes up Luka's minutes patterns.

If he doesn't, he's insane. It might take a while to do it. I suppose you want them on the court together a lot, early on, so they learn how to play together, but if this trade doesn't allow you to shave 2-5 minutes per off of Luka's workload, in addition to lowering his usage rate, I don't know what the hell the point of all this risk is.
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 01:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'll be interested to see if Kidd changes up Luka's minutes patterns. If not, I would assume Kyrie gets a six-minute rest in the first quarter and starts the first six of the second. In any event, the patterns have to change somewhat. The whole point of "get this kid some help" is that his minutes, as well as his usage, need to go down.

I was just thinking this.

So far the Mavs are winning the 1st and 3rd quarters where Luka plays the whole time. But lose the 2nd and 4th because Luka only plays the last 6 minutes. 

If so, it'd stand to reason that Kyrie should basically be the opposite of Luka. Getting the entire 2nd and 4th quarters and get subbed out early the 1st and 3rd.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/162345...95457?s=20&t=5WSQISEwPptys73iucZ4Lw
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 01:03 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Don´t see how KL/PG13 can cope with Green/Hardy. They might as well forfeit the game right now.

The Clippers aren't Utah unfortunately.  They're both gonna have their hands full with those two and GodKing can't save them now.   Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
kyrie will have a big game on his  debut as a mav but we still need josh and hardy to show up to get the W imho.
Like Reply
Let's see if Kyrie can outdo another Mavs legend in his debut.

W - FG: 3/11 (.273%), 3P: 0/1 (0%), FT: 0/0 (%), 2ORB, 5DRB, 7TRB, 9A, 2STL, 4TOV, 6PTS
Like Reply
(02-08-2023, 06:51 PM)cow Wrote: Let's see if Kyrie can outdo another Mavs legend in his debut.

W - FG: 3/11 (.273%), 3P: 0/1 (0%), FT: 0/0 (%), 2ORB, 5DRB, 7TRB, 9A, 2STL, 4TOV, 6PTS

Joel had nine assists? I´m impressed.
Like Reply