Poll: Who elevated their play most to help the Mavs to this win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Josh Green
55.26%
21 55.26%
Jaden Hardy
44.74%
17 44.74%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 55 DIRKIE: Josh Green (55%)
Who was the player of the game who elevated his game to help the team win?

EDIT: For the first time in our history, you can vote for 2 options!
Like Reply
I went Hardy by a hair.  Both were excellent.  Hardy with that in yo face dunk at the end lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Noticed for the first time tonight, when Reggie hits a 3 and pulls out the 2 finger, 1 thumb 3-pointer signal, he points his fingers at weird angles just like his hair.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
Green is coming into his own but Hardy is so far ahead of schedule that he gets my vote.  We might be alright with those two out there running a second unit offense.

Also, Diamond is a decent option for tonight.  Probably wouldn't get votes but deserves recognition.  Career high in rebounds
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Well...that was interesting.  Who would have thought the youngsters would go on a romp.  All 5 starters in double figures...add J. Hardy for the 6th man in double figures.  

MW IV did well.  He's a little small and needs to learn how to play with the big boys, but I think he can contribute to the(a) team in the future.  Good little player.

The other 4 starters did what they were suppose to do...and they played hard.  I still want to trade THJ and RB for sure...anyway.

So...we get down to Josh Green and Jaden Hardy.  Both of them played a hell of a game.  But I'm not going to give the Dirkie to both of them.  JG is finally coming into his own...but with room to improve.  JH has a lot of room to improve.  Yeah..he's a keeper.

My Dirkie goes to JH...yes, by a whisker.  Both of them will earn more in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I love how gave the ability to choose more than 1 in the poll, because both Green and Hardy deserved it. 

WOW. Just wow.

The Good:

The Mean Green Machine 
Josh Green has arrived. Holy shit. What a game by the guy. This was the ideal vision of him we all had when we saw him as a rookie. His first step is lethal. He was all over the court tonight. He literally blew by every single Jazz defender for dunk after dunk, and then sprinkled in some pull up jumpers just to remind you he's put in the work and he isn't the same ol' timid Greenie. Further, his defense was otherworldly. The Thunder from Down Under literally shut down almost every single Jazz player himself. I cannot sing enough praises for the guy. I was super high on him last year, so much so I created a thread and titled it "The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green". Well? There is nothing subtle about Green's game anymore. This was a statement game and he has the "Green Light". 

The Hardy Party
Hardy saw Green throwing a slam fest down in UTA and said "not without me you aren't". Hardy played as though he was a 10 year vet. Always in control. He picked his spots and never forced the issue. He was the spark to bring the Mavs back down 12 in the 2nd. I mean what rookie has the audacity to hit 3 straight threes, and then flex on y'all? What a game. He was so poised that Kidd felt comfortable running the offense through him with 3 mins left, and he delivered. He was hyper efficient and smooth as all hell. He snatched the ankles of Olynyk and calmly sank his free throws. Just spectacular by the young fella. I was always ready and willing to throw in Hardy in a trade if it meant the Mavs could get a solid starter back, but now? No way. This guy is gonna be good. 

Diamond in the Rough
This might have been Dwight Powell's best game ever as a Maverick. I wished he played like this on the boards every night. He outhustled and outworked the Jazz big men and thoroughly embarrassed them. Aside from a missed chippy, I felt he played almost a perfect game. He displayed his fantastic touch, he rebounded time and again, and he was locked in on defense. Great game from the Diamond.

Team Defense has Arrived
Again, the defense has to be mentioned. Even THJ was rotating well. Everyone was locked in and ready to go. That was the best defensive game of the year by far. 

FT's Woes No Mo and Offense Galore
The team hit their FT's tonight. It was a joy to see. Had they not, this game would've been WAY closer. 

The offense was fantastic too. The motion and cuts were beautiful. There was a stark contrast on how this team ran it's offense compared to when Dinwiddie was running the show. I said to myself many times that the lack of isos and increase of off ball cuts was bringing a tear to my eye. I'm more than fine when Luka does it, because he's Luka. But my rope for iso heavy offense is A LOT shorter for basically anyone else. Dinwiddie obviously wasn't good enough. 

They ran very well in transition. Something I hope they continue to do after Kyrie is integrated. Kyrie is a great transition player, so I have some hope.

The Duds

Hollow Wood

Wood had a bad game tonight. Real bad. He looked pretty selfish with his shot selection. I point to his 30 foot three at the end of the half that he forced instead of moving the ball. I felt like he forced it all over tonight. He didn't let the game come to him, and I felt like he was trying to show "see look how good of a piece I can be next to Luka and Kyrie". It didn't work. He also didn't have the legs under him, as sitting out a week and a half can do that. Hopefully he bounces back on Wednesday. 

Basketball Terrorist THJ
Timmy continues to draw my ire. I didn't even think he was THAT bad tonight, yet he was still 5-16 and overall just not good enough. 

All in all, much deserved co-Dirkies to Hardy and Green.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 10 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, haveitall, HIMAV, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
He’s here! He’s there! He’s everyfuckinwhere! Josh Green!!!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
[Image: xd6hiv634pga1.png?width=819&auto=webp&v=...10a339cbfc]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 02:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: xd6hiv634pga1.png?width=819&auto=webp&v=...10a339cbfc]

Stats that look like Luka in Legend Mode.
Only with a few more assists and blocks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 03:36 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Stats that look like Luka in Legend Mode.
Only with a few more assists and blocks.

Let me show you that those are clearly not Luka stats:

Free Throws 15/15. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, SleepingHero
Like Reply
As much as I loved the game by Hardy, I went with Green. 

The kid was EVERYWHERE!
Like Reply
(02-07-2023, 08:38 AM)MFFL Wrote: As much as I loved the game by Hardy, I went with Green. 

The kid was EVERYWHERE!

Same. #Defensematters
Like Reply
Josh Green played like an all star. Let’s face it, Bob may have been right.
[-] The following 3 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
Green for me.  What a performance.    Just in total in charge out there.  My memory may be faulty but he had two possessions where he missed a three and missed a mid range shot.   On the three, he either got the ball back on the same possession or the next, and had no hesitation taking and making a three.   On the mid range shot, he got the ball right back and with not hesitation attempted and made a floater.   He would not have tried either play last year.   He is playing with so much confidence.

I have mentioned that Hardy feels like he belongs on the court.  Even when he has a bad run.   Last night what was surprising is how comfortable he looked with the ball in his hands late in the game.   Even more surprising is how comfortable his teammates looked with him having the ball.  He made some really nice drive and kick passes too.  

Dwight gets an honorable mention.   He again proves while he certainly has limitations, his value should not be ignored.    Teams need guys like Dwight on them.   Reggie Bullock with a distant Honorable mention.    Some good play from him as well.
Like Reply