Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-06-2023, 12:20 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But both Stein and MacMahon are saying otherwise
McMahon said he doesn't expect the Mavs to make any big trades and instead operate around the fringes, as per the Zach Lowe podcast.

Stein never even hinted the Mavs were interested in Kyrie, instead dropping nuggets like they're shopping DFS and UTA is a suitor, and they're looking for a star.

My take is that McMahon, like always, isn't very well connected and is just guessing. And Stein probably isn't as well connected to the Mavs anymore after Donnie has left. 

I'm taking what they're saying with a grain of salt. It makes literally zero sense to not resign Kyrie if you're giving up an unprotected FRP. 

*Cuban is a big enough idiot and horrible negotiator that he might just fuck it up and let Kyrie walk. That's my one disclaimer.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
It's obvious the front office wants Kyrie to work out here and if it does, we will give him his contract. But they also know that this very well might just be a rental and they're fine with that too. They free up some cap space and still have a sign and trade option to get back assets and the value in that was worth it to them
Like Reply
Stein is trying to get people to subscribe to his substack. He doesn't know anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JCB's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:24 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: McMahon said he doesn't expect the Mavs to make any big trades and instead operate around the fringes, as per the Zach Lowe podcast.

MacMahon literally talked about the deal possibly being SD, DFS, and JG before it happened. And it turns out he was basically right.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:20 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Or an even worse scenario is the one KL is bringing up, Kyrie gets the money and then stops trying.

That, to me, is a matter of when, not if. We have 6 straight years of evidence, each one worse than the previous one, until this season, a contract year. 

I DO think he'll ball out down the stretch this season. There's very little doubt in my mind that this will energize the team, short-term. People are going to pay attention to them again for a while, that's for sure. It's probably going to help Luka's MVP campaign, for those who care, just out of the sheer increase in attention the team gets. 

I don't think the season will be as successful as last year, ultimately, because these trade deadline deals usually don't get until the following season. But, he's talented enough to make me say it's much more possible they get deep into the playoffs than it was yesterday. 

However, if there's a single thought about Irving being "misunderstood" and possibly not causing problems here (or anywhere else) during his next deal, that's just willful ignorance. I took a deep dive on this guy a couple of times over the past year or so, and he has been THE reason all of those situations blew up. Trust me when I say that the happiest team in the NBA tonight is the Brooklyn Nets. As long as KD is willing to give it all another try (not a given, I suppose) their hellish nightmare might finally be over. 

I think a perfect way to play this, from here, might be to ride the "contract year" stretch run wave from Irving and then sign-and-trade him. You'll take an asset loss, for sure, but the franchise can keep flowing FORWARD that way. 

But, I think @"F Gump" has the right of it. I said this the other day, actually, and stand by it: They decided they were ready to bite the bullet and pay the dude BEFORE making this offer, and probably have some type of assurance, at least a superficial, flimsy one, that he's amenable to signing. I think, as Gump has said, that they see him as Luka's costar and are "all in" on him. That certainly seems to be plan A. 

I don't imagine it lasts very long. But, he IS talented.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon literally talked about the deal possibly being SD, DFS, and JG before it happened. And it turns out he was basically right.

You love you some MacMahon. Are you a Cowboys fan? MacMahon is not very bright.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:24 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Stein never even hinted the Mavs were interested in Kyrie

Um, yes he did. He was talking about it ever since Kyrie's trade demand.
Like Reply
One benefit of the trade -- now we don't have to hear Kamm moan every day about how bad SD is, and how the Mavs need to trade him, and how he's the biggest negative on this roster.

In Kamm's posts it feels like he's now become a great player that the Mavs are going to miss badly!! LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • doorsted
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:33 AM)F Gump Wrote: One benefit of the trade -- now we don't have to hear Kamm moan every day about how bad SD is, and how the Mavs need to trade him, and how he's the biggest negative on this roster.

In Kamm's posts it feels like he's now become a great player that the Mavs are going to miss badly!! LOL

Can you please stop referring to me in your posts? I don't know how many times I need to make this request.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:33 AM)F Gump Wrote: One benefit of the trade -- now we don't have to hear Kamm moan every day about how bad SD is, and how the Mavs need to trade him, and how he's the biggest negative on this roster.

We are one step closer to being free of the KP tangle of yarn. 

Din
THJ
Bertans
'23
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DanSchwartzgan, The Jom
Like Reply
Chris Mannix gets it. It's not about "will he sign or will he walk"...it's actually a far more sinister situation than that. Real problems ahead now. 

https://youtu.be/dmQftgMS_Z0
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon literally talked about the deal possibly being SD, DFS, and JG before it happened. And it turns out he was basically right.

He postulated the Mavs using their 2 of their best trade pieces and their best guard outside of Luka? Any person could've thrown that out there given that Kyrie is a superstar. Doesn't mean they have inside information.

McMahon isn't an idiot. He's been around a long time. But I refuse to believe he has any inside knowledge of the Mavs thinking.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • doorsted, F Gump
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:38 AM)cow Wrote: We are one step closer to being free of the KP tangle of yarn. 

Din
THJ
Bertans
'23

Hafta think Cubes will stretch waive Bertans now to get under the tax line THIS year.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:20 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But both Stein and MacMahon are saying otherwise. And they have no reason to not say the Mavs desire to be committed to Kyrie long term. It is very concerning that they are tapping the brakes on Kyrie being in DAL past this summer.

Saying otherwise? Are you sure? That is NOT what was said in the quote you provided -- it was only in your own words, not theirs.

Stein didn't quote the Mavs. He gave his comment (not even an opinion), not theirs, in that quote.

If the Mavs are saying anything, I would expect them to be tamping down any talk that they have a deal already lined up in advance, and nothing more. That doesn't reveal what they truly think is ahead. And logically, no matter how much they downplay it, I can't envision them paying this kind of a price for something they felt might have a strong chance to be short-term.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • doorsted, Kidnova, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I think this will be one of those topics that no matter how successful it is for the Mavs, there will be posters who are too deeply emotionally invested to EVER be happy about it.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:44 AM)The Jom Wrote: Hafta think Cubes will stretch waive Bertans now to get under the tax line THIS year.

What does a stretch waive do to the final year of his deal?
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:36 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Can you please stop referring to me in your posts? I don't know how many times I need to make this request.

Wait, what? You comment on what I say. But you don't want me to comment back? C'mon man.

I don't even get it.

And it's not like I'm saying something here that isn't what you are saying bluntly -- you derided SD almost daily, and now you say "SD and DFS were two of the Mavs most desirable players."

I find it funny, don't you?!
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • doorsted, MFFL
Like Reply
https://old.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme...backcourt/

GUYS how could we not see this before? This has been a trade waiting to happen for years.

The FlatEarth Bros are here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: I know the board narrative is about some theoretical re-trade of Kyrie.

I absolutely thought this was a possibility until I read that tweet.  

(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: this swap looks like an all-in, complete commitment to Kyrie move.

I hear you but after TC and JB walking I will have a hard time believing he's signing (admitting I didn't care for Nash or Jet but not hating lol).  And even if he does, well I won't rehash the obvious risks.  Appreciate the different opinions on the board.  I'm sure its already been said but Pelinka looks like Lowe.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:50 AM)cow Wrote: What does a stretch waive do to the final year of his deal?
In the offseason it will be $22M over 3 years so a little over $7M per year. Not sure that is worth. Keep him 1 more year and release him for $5M.
Like Reply