Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-05-2023, 11:54 PM)Branduil Wrote: Mavs fans hatred towards McMahon never ceases to amuse me. People get mad he doesn't tow the Cuban line even though it's been repeatedly been proven how incompetent his ownership is.

McMahon is an opinion journalist with a negative view towards the team he used to cover daily. He has a vendetta against Cuban and that much is obvious based on the general tone and timing of his article releases. 

With that said, he also doesn't really talk about basketball moves. He equivocates on trades if he can, and generally avoids taking a hard stance (that is unless he's going to dunk on the Mavs).

He's annoying.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The quote from Stein:

"No one in Dallas will come out and say it in these terms, obviously, but Irving is potentially just a rental."

He said there is no contract promise from either party at this point. .

What Stein says makes sense. No biggie, frankly.

The fact that "Irving is potentially just a rental" is Stein's comment, not that of the Mavs. And he did get them to say there is "no promise" but what can they say, as that would be illegal to have (and foolish to admit if they did) at this point.

There's NOTHING in there that even remotely suggests the Mavs don't expect to re-sign Kyrie when the time comes.

YOUR paraphrase was something very different, which misquotes Stein's message completely as if he said the Mavs EXPECT not to re-sign Kyrie, as what is the "likely" outcome (your term).  [NOTE - See note below, as Kamm later corrected his wording in the post in question to say "possibly" instead of "likely. The idea that the Mavs do know it is possible for Kyrie not to sign does make sense, and certainly not concerning.]

Thanks for coming with the exact quote. But you should edit your completely misleading commentary in that post.

ADDED - I see from your post later that you did go back and edit your post to say "Stein reported that the Mavs are well aware that they are possibly renting Kyrie" and that you just made a mistake. Thanks for cleaning that up!
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, MFFL, RDB, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: More info on the "general consensus" outside of this "sad little board":

MacMahon saying...

1) The Mavs will continue to try and trade THJ before the deadline.

2) Wood is unlikely to get an extension because if (when?) Kyrie walks this summer they want to be able to get to max capspace. 

3) Hardy is a potential trade sweetener.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: McMahon is an opinion journalist with a negative view towards the team he used to cover daily. He has a vendetta against Cuban and that much is obvious based on the general tone and timing of his article releases. 

With that said, he also doesn't really talk about basketball moves. He equivocates on trades if he can, and generally avoids taking a hard stance (that is unless he's going to dunk on the Mavs).

He's annoying.

IMO what really makes fans mad is that he is generally correct in his negativity. Mavs fans love their sunshine pumpers.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:59 PM)Branduil Wrote: IMO what really makes fans mad is that he is generally correct in his negativity. Mavs fans love their sunshine pumpers.

But who are the sunshine pumpers?
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:00 AM)cow Wrote: But who are the sunshine pumpers?

Skin is the biggest sunshine pumper I've ever seen.

Can't wait for him to say on the broadcast "Kyrie is potentially the best player the Mavs have ever gotten in a trade talent wise."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: BUT, I think you're worried about nothing with this particular thread. The point of the trade request was to get a 4-year max. He can now only get that from Dallas or from the 2-3 teams who might have cap room next summer. LA won't be one of them, and he's not going to sign for the MLE. 

If they decide to offer the 4-year max (my strong suspicion is that they already have decided) then I'd say there's an 85-100% chance he signs it. It's what starts to happen the very next day that should worry you, imho. 

If he's dead set on getting to LA, and the Lakers want to give him that deal, I bet the Mavs can get ONE of those two 1sts out of LA to make that happen. He is NOT going to sign the MLE.

1) I don't think it's nothing, but I am probably overplaying it. 

2) It seemed pretty clear to me from what Stein was saying is that there is no plan in place for a 4 year deal. Could one happen? Yes, he is not saying it can't or won't but he is purposely tapping the brakes on the assumption that this means the Mavs are signing Kyrie this summer. 

3) I bet Kyrie wants the money, but I would not be shocked if he goes to LAL for $25M (way more than MLE).
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:02 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Skin is the biggest sunshine pumper I've ever seen.

Can't wait for him to say on the broadcast "Kyrie is potentially the best player the Mavs have ever gotten in a trade talent wise."

Someone not on the payroll.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:43 PM)cow Wrote: and Cubes denied it.

Mistake in listening:  believing what Cuban says to the public. He believes in telling whatever story suits his purpose (aka objectivism).
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:03 AM)F Gump Wrote: Mistake in listening:  believing what Cuban says to the public. He believes in telling whatever story suits his purpose (aka objectivism).

I didn't say I believed it.  I said Tim has been pushing that narrative before this trade occurred and that Cubes denied it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1622451322980302848

Dammit!
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:03 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 2) It seemed pretty clear to me from what Stein was saying is that there is no plan in place for a 4 year deal. Could one happen? Yes, he is not saying it can't or won't but he is purposely tapping the brakes on the assumption that this means the Mavs are signing Kyrie this summer. 

They were all saying the same after the Porzingis deal, if you remember. I know the situations aren't identical, but I think this is simply a matter of keeping the "back-channel" deals from being public. It's literally just "we didn't tamper." 

Not only do I think the Mavs have decided to give that offer, I'd bet serious money Irving's people have discussed it with them, at least indirectly and discreetly. It's the only possible way any of this makes any sense. 

NOW, with this particular nutball, anything is possible. He might change his tune 20 times between now and the summer. I'm not saying there's no chance he walks, just that they didn't do this deal feeling like that was a likely scenario.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
This board in full meltdown. Good times.

If only we still had DFS to lead us to a championship.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:05 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Dammit!

I know the board narrative is about some theoretical re-trade of Kyrie.

But if you look at the landscape of what is happening without the board filter, this swap looks like an all-in, complete commitment to Kyrie move. Cuban spending MASSIVE money to do this, and using needed players (with trade value) PLUS a 1st, all of that is a bullhorn saying they are committed to this Luka-Kyrie path for a few years at least.

In fact, it looks like they are trying to make other deals to enhance the chance for this to be a really good team. If Luka is playing at an MVP level, they NEED to put much better players around him, whatever that takes, so that his MVP-ness impact on games is multiplied, and this is part of something like that.
[-] The following 9 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, cow, DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, RDB, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: But if you look at the landscape of what is happening without the board filter, this swap looks like an all-in, complete commitment to Kyrie move. Cuban spending MASSIVE money to do this, and using needed players (with trade value) PLUS a 1st, all of that is a bullhorn saying they are committed to this Luka-Kyrie path for a few years at least.

Totally agree with this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:57 PM)F Gump Wrote: YOUR paraphrase was something very different, which misquotes Stein's message completely as if he said the Mavs EXPECT not to re-sign Kyrie, as what is the "likely" outcome (your term).

I changed it. That was a total mistype in the moment, I started saying Stein said (such and such) and then switched it to what I think it means. 

I THINK it is a "likely" outcome that Kyrie is not in DAL longterm. Stein did not say that, he said it was a potential reality and MacMahon is saying the same thing with max caproom this summer being the fall back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: I know the board narrative is about some theoretical re-trade of Kyrie.

But if you look at the landscape of what is happening without the board filter, this swap looks like an all-in, complete commitment to Kyrie move. Cuban spending MASSIVE money to do this, and using needed players (with trade value) PLUS a 1st, all of that is a bullhorn saying they are committed to this Luka-Kyrie path for a few years at least.

In fact, it looks like they are trying to make other deals to enhance the chance for this to be a really good team. If Luka is playing at an MVP level, they NEED to put much better players around him, whatever that takes, so that his MVP-ness impact on games is multiplied, and this is part of something like that.

Yes. The Mavs made a high risk high reward move instead of this middling crap they've been doing for 20 years. Good for them. The Lakers do this type of stuff all the time. Sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes they win multiple championships. I like this route a lot more than anything else we've done. If we had kept Brunson AND done this trade we would be close to favorites. But Cuban is a moron and so its like trying to win with a handicap.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: But if you look at the landscape of what is happening without the board filter, this swap looks like an all-in, complete commitment to Kyrie move.

But both Stein and MacMahon are saying otherwise. And they have no reason to not say the Mavs desire to be committed to Kyrie long term. It is very concerning that they are tapping the brakes on Kyrie being in DAL past this summer.
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:14 AM)F Gump Wrote: I know the board narrative is about some theoretical re-trade of Kyrie.

I am 100% in agreement with this POV.

I don't see how or why the Mavs would find a way to flip Kyrie into assets after the entire narrative has been "Cuban can't get a star for his star players" or "Luka needs help." This trade literally shut that entire narrative down. Kyrie is a top 10 star. All-star starter. In his prime (though nearing the end of it). 

It's a huge swing. I'd be a bit despondent for the Mavs to throw away this 30 game try out for Kyrie, even if I do think he's a nutcase. 

I'm more terrified of what happens when Kyrie doesn't get what he wants and how he'll react. Or an even worse scenario is the one KL is bringing up, Kyrie gets the money and then stops trying.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...2168779776
Like Reply