Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-05-2023, 11:15 PM)Smitty Wrote: I miss that beautiful man.

Kind of feels like him retiring splintered the community.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 09:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Fine, but that move would require like three picks, at least, and the Mavs can now only trade 1. 

I feel like people don't really get how bad the draft capital situation is.

But, except for the limits on pick-whipping a team for a player, is it really a bad pick situation?
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:13 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Oh, it is going to be worse than that.  It will be Wood and one of THJ/Bertans and two unprotected picks for Poeltl and the big TPE.  The 27 pick will convert to two pick swaps if 23 doesn’t convey.

That's just too realistic for comfort
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/chiney/status/1622410651619713025
Like Reply
More info on the "general consensus" outside of this "sad little board":

https://youtu.be/dmQftgMS_Z0
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1622451322980302848
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 10:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I mean....

1) Kyrie is not fully right in the head.

2) Stein reported that the Mavs are well aware that they are likely renting Kyrie. 

3) SD and DFS were two of the Mavs most desirable players. And the 2029 unprotected 1st probably became the most valuable future pick out there.

Stein said the Mavs belief is they are "likely" only renting Kyrie? I don't believe that to be true, as it makes no sense on any level.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: Stein said the Mavs belief is they are "likely" only renting Kyrie? I don't believe that to be true, as it makes no sense on any level.

The quote from Stein:

"No one in Dallas will come out and say it in these terms, obviously, but Irving is potentially just a rental."

He said there is no contract promise from either party at this point. 

And based on all the tea leaves, I think Kyrie walks to LAL (who can get to around $25M in space this summer) or signs a 4 year max with the Mavs before forcing his way out.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...5070658561

Well that's because "league sources" don't realize how stupid the IIC really are.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The quote from Stein:

"No one in Dallas will come out and say it in these terms, obviously, but Irving is potentially just a rental."

And based on all the tea leaves, I think Kyrie walks to LAL (who can get to around $25M in space this summer) or signs a 4 year max with the Mavs before forcing his way out.

potentially =/= likely
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • F Gump, Kidnova
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 10:32 PM)JCB Wrote: I mean the Mavs not trying to sign Irving is probably SMART.

It's neither smart or dumb. It's just what is, because they really have no choice.

By rule, the Mavs can't offer him the deal he was trying to sign with BKN, until July. So they all sit tight and wait until July.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: More info on the "general consensus" outside of this "sad little board":

MacMahon sure seems to strongly hint that this deal was done because of the pressure from Luka. UGH.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon sure seems to strongly hint that this deal was done because of the pressure from Luka. UGH.

Luka doing Dorian dirty.  I was never his biggest fan, but now...

Seriously though, Tim was pushing this narrative earlier this year and Cubes denied it.
Like Reply
The meltdown on this board is my favorite thing about this trade.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 10:23 PM)JCB Wrote: Ha ha. The general consensus outside of this sad little board is the Mavs just got a whole lot better.

We gave up mediocrity for greatness. 

But this board is made up fans that want to "win a particular way."

I just want the Mavs to win.

We share the same thing. I want the Mavs to win as well.

I just don't think Kyrie is reliable enough. And as soon as he checks out he destroys franchises he leaves behind. 

I agree with you, what we gave up for Kyrie is laughable from an on court POV. Kyrie is that dude. But Kyrie is also Kyrie. And he has shown he is ready and willing to sit out and/or quit on a team for seemingly any reason. 

That is my main objection.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The quote from Stein:

I share your distaste for the cost of this deal, and obviously I wouldn't have done it. 

BUT, I think you're worried about nothing with this particular thread. The point of the trade request was to get a 4-year max. He can now only get that from Dallas or from the 2-3 teams who might have cap room next summer. LA won't be one of them, and he's not going to sign for the MLE. 

If they decide to offer the 4-year max (my strong suspicion is that they already have decided) then I'd say there's an 85-100% chance he signs it. It's what starts to happen the very next day that should worry you, imho. 

If he's dead set on getting to LA, and the Lakers want to give him that deal, I bet the Mavs can get ONE of those two 1sts out of LA to make that happen. He is NOT going to sign the MLE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
That fact that McMahon doesn't like this trade makes me like it more.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If he's dead set on getting to LA, and the Lakers want to give him that deal, I bet the Mavs can get ONE of those two 1sts out of LA to make that happen. 

That's where my money would be if I gambled.  Mavs probably hope that the long term is different obviously, but that's the fallback plan.  

We'll get a half season of Kyrie on his Ps and Qs for the cost of Din, Dorian and 2 SRPs while swapping our '29 for Lakers '2x.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:52 PM)JCB Wrote: That fact that McMahon doesn't like this trade makes me like it more.
Mavs fans hatred towards McMahon never ceases to amuse me. People get mad he doesn't tow the Cuban line even though it's been repeatedly been proven how incompetent his ownership is.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:54 PM)Branduil Wrote: Mavs fans hatred towards McMahon never ceases to amuse me. People get mad he doesn't tow the Cuban line even though it's been repeatedly been proven how incompetent his ownership is.

I don't like Cuban at all. McMahon is a moron too.

(02-05-2023, 11:55 PM)JCB Wrote: I don't like Cuban at all. McMahon is a moron too.

I bet you Cuban was against this trade. He was surely the skeptical front office person(s).
Like Reply