Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Rui to LAL | Nunn + three 2nds to WAS
(01-23-2023, 03:10 PM)mvossman Wrote: The only other guy on that list remotely interesting is Thybulle.

Just getting back to this a bit. White could be the 6th man type allowing us to trade SD in the summer (sell high on him) who might not want to stay as 6th man in Dallas after his deal expires. What does Chicago want after this season? Are they blowing it up or waiting another season. Would Chicago eat McGee for 2 SRP?

Hayes could be what Mavs thought they are getting in McGee. THJ for Graham and Hayes looks like a deal benefiting Pelicans. What else would they give up?

Thybulle has huge defensive potential and becomes an asset if he learns how to shoot a three at decent percentage. Can Mavs find a way to save Philly the tax? Three way with Cleveland (THJ-LeVert trade)?

All of these guys are a buy low situation (as well as Reddish). Of course it is also possible none of them ever becomes a solid rotation player.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1617584801686650881
Like Reply
BTW, we would have had 3 SRPs to trade had we been better negotiators in the KP trade and not given up a second to them.
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 06:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: BTW, we would have had 3 SRPs to trade had we been better negotiators in the KP trade and not given up a second to them.

I honestly wouldn´t have done that trade unless I was getting back Hachimura, Bryant or Gafford to begin with. I just think as usual the Mavs were not interested in young players. The Wizards let Bryant walk for nothing a few months later. We could have had Bryant as a cheap throw-in and opted to waste FA money on McGee instead. It´s such awful asset management. Maybe they don´t budge on Hachimura or Gafford (doubt it), but Thomas Bryant meant absolutely nothing to them. They don´t say no to the whole trade, because of him.
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 06:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I honestly wouldn´t have done that trade unless I was getting back Hachimura, Bryant or Gafford to begin with. I just think as usual the Mavs were not interested in young players. The Wizards let Bryant walk for nothing a few months later. We could have had Bryant as a cheap throw-in and opted to waste FA money on McGee instead. It´s such awful asset management. Maybe they don´t budge on Hachimura or Gafford (doubt it), but Thomas Bryant meant absolutely nothing to them. They don´t say no to the whole trade, because of him.
I’m good on the SRP going to them if we get 1 of those 3. Although I was not a fan of bringing in Bryant I will say.
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 06:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I honestly wouldn´t have done that trade unless I was getting back Hachimura, Bryant or Gafford to begin with. I just think as usual the Mavs were not interested in young players. .

Mavs didn't have a roster spot for another extra player. In fact, they had to waive Moses Brown to do the deal they did.
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 06:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: Mavs didn't have a roster spot for another extra player. In fact, they had to waive Moses Brown to do the deal they did.

Well they had about five useless players they could have traded/waived in that spot and added some cash to make it work. It´s just that they did not want to.
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 06:04 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: BTW, we would have had 3 SRPs to trade had we been better negotiators in the KP trade and not given up a second to them.

Cuban prefered to give up a future 2nd on draft night. Warriors and Lakers used cash. Not even sure if they are terrible negotiators (probably) but they clearly couldn´t care less about 2nd round picks.
Like Reply
Bertans should have been the deal breaker in the trade short of getting a future first from Washington.  The fact the tip went in Wizards direction was insanity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 08:35 PM)cow Wrote: Bertans should have been the deal breaker in the trade short of getting a future first from Washington.  The fact the tip went in Wizards direction was insanity.

Yeah, I wish we could have gotten something more.   I guess at the time, KP was at a all time low in value.   

I look at New Orleans in the CJ trade.  They were able to also acquire Larry Nance.   Now, they did give up Hart and at the time the Blazers thought they were getting a lottery pick.    

I wonder, before his latest injury, what interest there would be if the Wizards put KP on the market?   Is it still very lukewarm market for him?
Like Reply
(01-23-2023, 10:20 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wonder, before his latest injury, what interest there would be if the Wizards put KP on the market?   Is it still very lukewarm market for him?

My guess is there was a minimal market for KP and the Mavs just took the first/only offer that was presented to them.  Washington probably didn't have a lot of desire to land KP so much as they wanted to dump Din/Bertans as they weren't working out for the team.   Even if a team wanted KP, they wouldn't have offered Dallas much as anyone with eyes could see the pairing of he and Luka wasn't working out.  And that's not even factoring in the injury concerns.  

Din was better than expected and the playoff run we had probably doesn't happen without him.  Was that worth the trade?  No idea.  I just know at some point you have to swallow your medicine.  And if we weren't willing to swallow the KP salary, we surely will swallow the Bertans contract.
Like Reply
Yes, piss poor asset management and negotiating acumen. Par for the course in the Cuban era.
Like Reply
(01-24-2023, 01:57 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Yes, piss poor asset management and negotiating acumen. Par for the course in the Cuban era.

Not sure what this one had to do with negotiating considering we only had 2 SRPs to offer...
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply