Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 49: WAS (21-26) @ DAL (25-24) | 126-127 loss
(01-25-2023, 12:29 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: The issue though has never been there on the national team for Slovenia. 

Yes he should be more mature and do the things he can control better but even veterans sometimes don’t act the most mature way when they are in a poor situation.  Heck we have had players like LeBron and Kyrie gripe even wben they have all stars next to them saying they don’t have enough. Meanwhile Luka is playing alongside average journeymen. He is carrying the lions share on offense night in night out. 

So while I too get frustrated with some things he does and have criticized Luka as well, IMO the last playoffs showed that this guy is very close to leading teams to perennial contender status if there is some halfway decent talent level around him.  Most other teams he will go to will have at least one young stud or all star level player.  This guy is not going to lead his new team to one title but multiple titles and we will be left thinking how we nitpicked him endlessly here, while the talent level and front office/coaching were subpar.

I understand what you are saying and agree totally that the team needs upgrades. However, that doesn't change Luka's approach. He should play the same way no matter who is on the floor with him. I mentioned in my previous post about Larry Bird. Bird came into Boston as a rookie and took the same 29 win team the year before to 61 wins. They didn't win a title that year but with team upgrades he won 3.

It shouldn't matter who is on the floor. You bring it every night and good things will happen. Complaining to the refs about no calls or bad calls and coming in not motivated for games won't get Luka any closer to his goals. I know it's got to be hard getting motivated every night in a long season to play when you are that good. He has to find a way.

Right now the main difference I see between LeBron and Luka is that LeBron could always get motivated to play in the regular season. He just didn't have Luka's mental toughness and would shrink in the playoffs. If Luka can learn to get motivated in the regular season whatever team he has will be a team no one wants to play ever.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
It was horrible watching a team without rim protection. What a difference Wood makes for this team.

THJ is not a fit, and will never be. Josh Green although improved, has a long long way to go, he is still way too raw. He is developing however, but not a player that can win the championship for us right now. If he plays too much we will have issues. Green will need years to develop that touch around basket offensively. Once he gets it, he will be much improved player than he is right now.

Hardy needs a lot more playing time, much less for THJ. Hardy is not raw, he has finesse around the rim and just needs to more time for the game to slow down. We need Wood back as well as Maxi. Need some toughness around the basket and rim protection.

Horrible at a home game that the game comes clutch at the end. This should be a blowout.  Its the Wizards.

The team needs another player at level of Wood, SD. And Maxi back for some defense and rim protection. Then its going to be a different team.
Like Reply
(01-25-2023, 02:11 PM)audiosway Wrote: I understand what you are saying and agree totally that the team needs upgrades. However, that doesn't change Luka's approach. He should play the same way no matter who is on the floor with him. I mentioned in my previous post about Larry Bird. Bird came into Boston as a rookie and took the same 29 win team the year before to 61 wins. They didn't win a title that year but with team upgrades he won 3.

It shouldn't matter who is on the floor. You bring it every night and good things will happen. Complaining to the refs about no calls or bad calls and coming in not motivated for games won't get Luka any closer to his goals. I know it's got to be hard getting motivated every night in a long season to play when you are that good. He has to find a way.

Right now the main difference I see between LeBron and Luka is that LeBron could always get motivated to play in the regular season. He just didn't have Luka's mental toughness and would shrink in the playoffs. If Luka can learn to get motivated in the regular season whatever team he has will be a team no one wants to play ever.

I know what you are saying and have echoed that many times but the reality is Luka is not Bird or Dirk. He is Luka. This is a different generation and there are good things and bad things with that.  I don’t want to just harp on the negatives when he scores 40 pts and the others have done nothing  but because the team lost we focus on a handful of plays that Luka should have been better. 

Yes Dirk used to play the right way but we forget now how he was ripped for a lot of things too before he won a title. In hindsight it looks silly. All Dirk needed was better talent level and he won a title with TC and Haywood.  Kobe needed Pau , Bynum, Shaq. Similarly we would have won against GS last year if Brunson was better.  No matter what faults Luka has and definitely he should be held accountable, he is the last person who deserves blame. Unless we just want to show how fair and tough we are and keep harping on the one guy on this team who has any level of talent.
Like Reply
(01-25-2023, 02:46 PM)burekemde Wrote: It was horrible watching a team without rim protection. What a difference Wood makes for this team.

THJ is not a fit, and will never be. Josh Green although improved, has a long long way to go, he is still way too raw. He is developing however, but not a player that can win the championship for us right now. If he plays too much we will have issues. Green will need years to develop that touch around basket offensively. Once he gets it, he will be much improved player than he is right now.

Hardy needs a lot more playing time, much less for THJ. Hardy is not raw, he has finesse around the rim and just needs to more time for the game to slow down. We need Wood back as well as Maxi. Need some toughness around the basket and rim protection.

Horrible at a home game that the game comes clutch at the end. This should be a blowout.  Its the Wizards.

The team needs another player at level of Wood, SD. And Maxi back for some defense and rim protection. Then its going to be a different team.

Wood has been better, but he's no Robert Williams, JJJ, or Giannis.  Maxi is their best rim protector easily.  And sometimes it's not who you play, it's when you play them.  Wizards have beat Dallas 4 straight times.
Like Reply
(01-25-2023, 10:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not directed at you hakeemfaan, but rant coming…

I think the frustrating thing is most of Luka’s issues are self inflicted.  The whining and causing a 5-on-4 scoring opportunity for the other team is a decision.  The choosing to take a night off (while playing) against bad teams is a decision.  The giving away points on techs is a decision.  Just about every game he jacks up a bad 3 because he’s tired.  That is a decision.  There are four other NBA players on the floor who are all capable of taking a horrible shot.  And who knows, maybe every once in a while they will take a good shot.

He’s highly capable of excellent D and chooses to turn it on and off.  Giving up the sideline on that last foul where Green came to double would have gotten anyone else absolutely roasted on this board.  It was a bad foul and to then call for a review just destroys credibility when he has legitimate complaints.

The issue isn’t whether Luka is great or not.  It is the things he does to tarnish his greatness.  Most are easily corrected.  I think it is a lost opportunity for roster growth for Luka to not get others more involved.  I get that a Luka shot is super-efficient.  29 shots…really.  How do we expect others to get any rhythm.  The doubles are going to keep coming to close out games and someone else has to be ready to hit a game winner.  There has to be some investment in plays that allow others to contribute earlier in the game so they are ready when needed.  This too is a decision.  I don’t buy the argument that Luka isn’t a selfish player.  Not when he takes the technical FT’s when there are often multiple better FT shooters on the floor when he does it.  Not when he makes sure the scoring table knows when he tips a ball so they know it is his steal or his block.  Or, when he shoots an air ball that ends up as an assist and his highest priority in that moment is making sure he gets the assist.  Luka is very much about his stats.

I’m pleased that Luka often takes the blame for bad outings.  To blame others would be a bad look and he’s smarter than that.  But, I’m less bothered by a missed FT or failing to get either of those last two passes to SD than I am the dozen correctable things he does wrong throughout the game.  To me it is all these terrible habits he has that lead to us needing to win last second games against bad teams (who are often missing their stars).  Yeah, the roster is trash…I get that.  But Luka’s On-Court isn’t MVP level.  It is 3-point-something just like it has been for three straight years (including last season when we were much more successful as a team).  He could turn his own personal impact on winning to 6-8 points at the drop of a hat if he dedicated himself to doing it.  He’s that great.  Kidd’s biggest failure isn’t how he treated Wood or stuck with McGee to long or doesn’t play Josh enough.  It is that he fails to hold Luka accountable.  Luka is so talented that he literally gets bored playing NBA games.  Someone needs to show him that the path to greatness for him is through consistency.  He has every other element to his game that he needs besides that.

I agree with all of this. It’s frustrating. 

But even Michael Jordan was famous for taking regular season games off. he’d go out partying the night before. But if you pissed him off or it was the playoffs, you got his best. 

Luka has way too much responsibility off the floor (in addition to on the floor) as being the leader and culture setter for this team. He’s too young.
Like Reply
Not a good look

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/10..._the_game/
Like Reply
(01-25-2023, 04:58 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Not a good look

Hungover? 

Or not liking his team?
Like Reply
All the cap experts can say what they want, but if this team doesn't look like a contender by the start of next season Luka, will force his way out. I honestly think he cares more about winning than staying with a losing organization just to secure a super max.
Like Reply
(01-25-2023, 02:48 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I know what you are saying and have echoed that many times but the reality is Luka is not Bird or Dirk. He is Luka. This is a different generation and there are good things and bad things with that.  I don’t want to just harp on the negatives when he scores 40 pts and the others have done nothing  but because the team lost we focus on a handful of plays that Luka should have been better. 

Yes Dirk used to play the right way but we forget now how he was ripped for a lot of things too before he won a title. In hindsight it looks silly. All Dirk needed was better talent level and he won a title with TC and Haywood.  Kobe needed Pau , Bynum, Shaq. Similarly we would have won against GS last year if Brunson was better.  No matter what faults Luka has and definitely he should be held accountable, he is the last person who deserves blame. Unless we just want to show how fair and tough we are and keep harping on the one guy on this team who has any level of talent.

I know exactly where you are coming from. And there is no doubt the need for more talent. They won't win a title as constructed. Wood has been really good for them. But, they need more players like him. I think he's a keeper for sure. But, guys like THJ, Bullock, etc are just not consistent enough.

As far as Luka, the kid is incredible. He likely just feels worn out from having to put up a 40 point triple double just to keep it close.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
A lot of this thread is like high school art teachers criticizing Michelangelo. Luka scored 40 plus on 55% shooting with 15 boards and he gets nitpicked to death around here.  He puts the team on his back more than any player in the league. When he doesn’t play, it’s certain defeat. Let’s get a couple of real players here and see what he can do. Hell, that deficient team last year was just a Josh Powell who can rebound away from a title.  Now, they’ve taken a step back talent wise last off-season, are another season removed from having a high quality coaching staff, and will probably turn a decent pick over to the Knicks and have no assets or salary flexibility this off-season.  It’s got to be killing Luka. You all will see how misguided you are soon enough. The problem isn’t Luka picking up a cheap foul, arguing with a ref, or turning the ball over on a terribly designed final play. It’s just a poorly run franchise.  One of the worst run in sports really. Or did you think the off the court scandals are indicative of a team that knows what it’s doing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(01-26-2023, 12:14 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: A lot of this thread is like high school art teachers criticizing Michelangelo. Luka scored 40 plus on 55% shooting with 15 boards and he gets nitpicked to death around here.  He puts the team on his back more than any player in the league. When he doesn’t play, it’s certain defeat. Let’s get a couple of real players here and see what he can do. Hell, that deficient team last year was just a Josh Powell who can rebound away from a title.  Now, they’ve taken a step back talent wise last off-season, are another season removed from having a high quality coaching staff, and will probably turn a decent pick over to the Knicks and have no assets or salary flexibility this off-season.  It’s got to be killing Luka. You all will see how misguided you are soon enough. The problem isn’t Luka picking up a cheap foul, arguing with a ref, or turning the ball over on a terribly designed final play. It’s just a poorly run franchise.  One of the worst run in sports really. Or did you think the off the court scandals are indicative of a team that knows what it’s doing.

If you look through the threads 99% of posts are about the Mavs being a poorly run franchise. Luka not having enough help and ways to fix it. And it´s not taking away anything from Luka´s greatness when people point out that he had a bad game. Or made bad decision to close out the game.
Can we please stop with garbage strawman arguments.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-26-2023, 12:56 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If you look through the threads 99% of posts are about the Mavs being a poorly run franchise. Luka not having enough help and ways to fix it. And it´s not taking away anything from Luka´s greatness when people point out that he had a bad game. Or made bad decision to close out the game.
Can we please stop with garbage strawman arguments.

I've simply accepted the fact that Cuban has no clue as to how to improve the team.  The Mavs are at an extreme competitive disadvantage against teams with skilled ownership, experienced general managers and creative coaches.  
[-] The following 2 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • BigDirk41, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
Didn't saw this game.

But from what I'm reading here, two things stood out:

1. Luka's problems making free throws.
2. The last play of the game for the Mavs.

I hope Luka works on his free throws. He had the audacity to tell Wood it's all mental, but he himself couldn't  hit ém. Instead of playing with trick shots, just practice free throws.

As for the last second play, I've seen enough of this from this team. Whether it's because Luka wants the ball or Kidd designing AAU-level type of plays,the strategy is just too predictable.
Like Reply
I agree both with Dan's and Hakeem's take.  Nice job...even when both are coming at a little different angles
Like Reply
Great stuff in this thread from @"DanSchwartzgan" and @"hakeemfan".
Like Reply